9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2016 12:36 PM by Intel Corporation

Why isn't the latest chipset driver available?

vampyren

Hi,

I'm a  it puzzled, first of all its always a hassle to find the chipset driver. The search isn't all to user-friendly.

Now if i select "Downloads for Desktop Chipsets" the list don't even show the drivers for win10. The list don't even have windows 10 as an OS.

i have to manually search and find among lots of other old stuff before i can find this page:

Download Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)

Now the other question i have is that installing windows 10 i see that my chipset driver have a later version then the latest available version form Intels page.

Windows installs version 10.1.1.38 (or 32) but at here at Intel the latest version i find is 10.1.1.14. Why is that?

It puzzles me that Windows have a later version then the company making the chipset and software.

Hopefully someone can explain this.

My chipset is Z170A (motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M7).

• 1. Re: Why isn't the latest chipset driver available?
          Al Hill

Just get the chipset inf from here:  https://msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M7.html#down-driver&Win10 64

Scroll down to the last item:  System & Chipset Drivers

Also, the chipset inf is not a driver, but a definition for devices supported.  As long as all of the devices are recognized, you need not update the inf.  And, Windows 10 likely "knows" that information already.

The following may help you:  Learn about Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility

Doc

• 2. Re: Why isn't the latest chipset driver available?
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to Al Hill for the information posted previously.

To vampyren:

I just wanted to confirm the information posted above as correct, in order to get the chipset driver for you board you just need to use that link to install it.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 3. Re: Why isn't the latest chipset driver available?
              N.Scott.Pearson

Alberto,

I think that Reza's point is that you would expect that the Intel Download Center would have the latest version of the Chipset device package posted before (or at least at the same time as) it is posted to Microsoft's Windows Update site.

...S

• 4. Re: Why isn't the latest chipset driver available?
                Intel Corporation

Hello:

Yes, you are right, the thing is that depending on the chipset model and based on the fact that Intel does not manufactured motherboards anymore, some drivers will not be available in our web site, and in those cases the manufacturer of the board will be the one providing the driver for it.

Regards

Alberto

• 5. Re: Why isn't the latest chipset driver available?
                  N.Scott.Pearson

As a statement, what I have said has absolutely nothing to do with Intel's Desktop Board products -- nor the NUCs, the ICS or any other products. Most of Intel's drivers are (what I would call) generic and are used across multiple generations of processors and chipsets and other Intel technologies. The INF Update, the HD Graphics, the LAN, the Wireless (and Bluetooth), the MEI, etc. all fall into this generic category. As far as I am concerned, if they are good enough to be released to Microsoft, they are good enough to be posted to the Download Center as well - and should be.

When we refer to drivers that are posted specifically for Intel Board, NUC, ICS, etc. products, I agree that they should not be posted (at least not with attribution to the particular product(s)) until they have been fully validated with the product(s). But, like with Beta drivers, if users of Intel products want to jump ahead to drivers that haven't yet been validated for their product, they should have the right and ability to do so -- at their own risk, of course.

I would also like to discuss this issue from the opposite side. I have seen way, way too many cases where an Intel driver package is posted to MS' Windows Update site and this driver gets automatically installed -- and causes problems on some systems (I was going to say 'screws up', but this doesn't always apply). There are two causes for this, (1) Intel simply didn't do the exhaustive testing that they should have done before releasing it, and (2) the criteria for whether or not the driver should be installed onto a particular system is incorrect and causes it to be installed onto systems that it wasn't intended for nor validated to support. This needs to be fixed.

Sorry for being so critical; this one I feel strongly about...

...S

• 6. Re: Why isn't the latest chipset driver available?
                    Intel Corporation

Hello N. Scott Pearson:

No problem at all, we appreciate your feedback on this matter, your information is always helpful.

On the link below I can see the chipsets that are supported:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/20775/eng/ReleaseNotes%2010.1.1.14.htm

In regard to your suggestion, I will send it to the proper department so they can take it under consideration in order to improve our service, the feedback from all of the peers in our Intel communities is always valuable for us.

Once again thank you very much for your comments.

Regards

Alberto

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Why isn't the latest chipset driver available?
                      vampyren

N.Scott.Pearson

Exactly, you expect Intel to list the latest drivers. I actually agree with everything you say. Its very confusing that some drivers are installed automatically are newer or not even exist at Intel while others drivers getting installed are older then whats available on Intel or MSI webpage. The whole Win10 auto installer is a mess up. That is why i tend to download the latest "generic" drivers myself.

alberto_intel:

Thanks for taking this to the next level and the information. I do hope Intel adds these generic drivers on the listing. Also if i understand correctly these INF drivers (also the IME) also have bugs in them so i do like to get the latest version. For instance in 10.1.1.14 it does mention "Installer CSVer.dll to show correct version". This is a minor issue but the point is with new version something might get fixed.

Today MSI shows version 10.1.1.9

Intel shows: 10.1.1.14

Microsoft: 10.1.1.3x

ps. sorry for the late reply. I thought i would get a mail when someone replies but nope.

• 8. Re: Why isn't the latest chipset driver available?
                        N.Scott.Pearson

I regularly see folks confused by the versioning. The problem is that some packages include multiple drivers and thus have a separate version number for the package. This version number is what you see when downloading the package from Intel's site. Unfortunately, what you see on the Windows Update site is the driver's version number, which is not going to be the same. Worse, the package version number could change as a result of only one of the included drivers changing. For example, the Intel HD Graphics driver package version number could change as a result of the Intel HD Audio driver being changed; the Intel HD Graphics driver version in this package might be the same as the previous package.

In addition to the confusion that this causes, I have also seen cases where an older driver gets installed over a newer driver because of this...

...S

• 9. Re: Why isn't the latest chipset driver available?
                          Intel Corporation

Hello vampyren:

You are welcome, all your suggestions will be transfer to the proper department so they can take care of this matter, thank you very much for your feedback.

Regards

Alberto