10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2016 12:54 PM by Intel Corporation

Finding equivalent latest processor

Jeilaanni

Is there a way to find an equivalent/next version of (in terms of performance, # of threads, clock speed, etc) processor for EOL/old processor? All i wanted is just provide an oldest processor variant and i expect the intel recommends an equivalent processor variants launched after the EOL/old processor.

• 1. Re: Finding equivalent latest processor
          Al Hill

The ARK | Processor Feature Filter  tool may help you.

Note that to upgrade a processor, the replacement processor must be socket, BIOS, and chipset compatible.

You can use ARK | Your Source for Intel® Product Specifications  to get specifics for a processor.

Doc

• 2. Re: Finding equivalent latest processor
            Jeilaanni

Thanks for your prompt response, Hil !

I've already tried the feature filter link but it doesn't give me what I'm looking for. Let me give you a concrete example:

For the time being, just forgot about the CPU replacement scenario and Just imagine I've a current processor E5620.. It's quad core/8 threads/2.4GHZ, 12MB cache, Max CPU Configuration - 2, etc.. Now, my requirement is to find an equivalent CPU processor in terms of performance/reliability and also latest (means available in the market).. If i use the feature filter portal, I can see many of the filters are available (but not every filer such as Max CPU configuration) and the result also gives me lot of CPU options with slight variations on multiple parameters (like speed, threads). but how can i conclude those are equivalent/better than my existing processor? because there are slight variations in the parameters values. what are the key parameters to look at to conclude this? Should i match parameter to parameter for the two cpus? or some parameters only?

• 3. Re: Finding equivalent latest processor
              Al Hill

That is all I can offer.  Also, your E5620 is more than six years old.  There have been a lot of advancements in six years.  Trying to match the E5620 may prove very difficult.

Perhaps the Intel support staff can provide better support.

Doc

• 4. Re: Finding equivalent latest processor
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Jeilaanni,

In this case, I found some CPUs that have similar specs to Intel® Xeon® Processor E5620

Here you can find the CPUs compared: http://ark.intel.com/compare/83357,92980,93791

Additionally, a recommendation from my end would be to access ARK , then go to the server processors and start checking by family in order to find processors that comply with the requirements you seek.

Capture.PNG

The "Max CPU Configuration" cannot be filtered but you can certainly check this under the section called "Package Specifications" on each ARK specs page for each processor.

Hope this can be of help for you.

Regards,
                Esteban C

• 5. Re: Finding equivalent latest processor
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Jeilaanni,

I just wanted to double check if you require any further support related to your inquiry.

Please let me know

Regards,
                  Esteban C

• 6. Re: Finding equivalent latest processor
                    Jeilaanni

HI Esteban,

I don't think I'm fully convinced with the solution proposed but your response gives me some idea to figure out an equivalence processor in terms of side-by-side comparison with various parameters.

In my view, I would be looking more interesting comparison results from Intel. Say for ex: If cpuboss would be able to provide a performance ratings for different CPU variants while comparison, definitely it must be possible for Intel..

Just comparing various parameters between two different cpu's can give some idea already but how do we pretty confident that the performant will be same/higher without deploying the cpu&testing it? Where can we find the benchmarking of various CPU variants?

for ex: CPU variant A has 2.3GHZ - performing x and CPU variant B might have 2 GHZ but with advanced technology which is more performant to 2.3GHz CPU variant. Is Intel already providing performance comparison results already?

Regards,

Jeilaanni.J

• 7. Re: Finding equivalent latest processor
                      Intel Corporation

Hello Jeilaanni,

The GHz a CPU can reach hasn't change that much from the beggining of computers to what we have now, you hear about 2.3GHz or even more than 4.2GHz but while comparing CPUs that have years of difference in terms of technology is not accurate for a comparison.

Newer technology uses that frequency in a more efficient way, another thing that you can take into consideration is, amount of cores, for data processing if you have more room (cores) to work with the process of handling tasks, you are more likely to get better performance, this also depens on how well the software is optimized to work with multi-core processros.

I found some links that can provide you with some more insight about benchmarks and comparison of CPUs from now to a 6 year old CPU.

About benchmarks: http://intel.ly/21oDcYH

Some comparisons (look for "Desktop Performance" or "Enthusiast Desktop Performance"): http://intel.ly/2fkXrFd

Hope this can help

Regards,
                      Esteban C

• 8. Re: Finding equivalent latest processor
                        pdulsky

Great answer!

• 9. Re: Finding equivalent latest processor
                          Jeilaanni

Thanks Esteban!

I believe the above shared link should be helpful (but i need to take a deep look at it)

• 10. Re: Finding equivalent latest processor
                            Intel Corporation

Hello Jeilaanni and pdulsky,

Thank you very much for the feedback provided!

If any of you happen to find any further inquiries (or about the links), feel free to let me know

Regards,
                            Esteban C