1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 6:33 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7KYK - Loud rattle noise from FAN after 4 weeks of use

JohnHWman

I've been using the NUC6i7KYK for several weeks from now (as a desktop computer use with 2 to 3 hours of time per day).

At the beginning, Fan noise was quiet (at boot and later after Windows 10 idle).

Now, after 4 weeks of use, this has changed :

- At Boot, the Fan speed is maximized and this is making a very noisy 'rattle' sound (vibrating like a ball bearing issue on the fan's motor),

- After Windows 10 launch, the fan speed is decreased to minimum and the 'rattle' noise is almost dissapearing with a quiet noise (as noisy as before).

Looks like the fan motor inside my unit is starting to be dead, no ??

Does someone else noticed the same noise issue after a while ?

Any advise, suggestions about this issue is appreciated.

John

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK - lound rattle noise from FAN after 4 weeks of use
          N.Scott.Pearson

This sounds more like something is interfering with the fan (i.e. fan blades are, for example, hitting a cable) or the fan (and perhaps the board it's attached to) has come loose. Open your case and make sure that there is nothing like that happening...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK - lound rattle noise from FAN after 4 weeks of use
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Good suggestion Scott.

JohnHWman we have several units running, but we have not experienced this behavior. As mentioned before, is possible than something is getting in the way; please check the open the case and make sure nothing is in the way.

Regards,

Amy.

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK - lound rattle noise from FAN after 4 weeks of use
              JohnHWman

Thanks for the suggestion but I already opened the NUC case from top and bottom plates and found nothing wrong with the fan and its wires :

IMG_3844.JPG

This view was taken from the bottom of the unit : the fan's four wires connexion is placed exactly as it was during unit manufacturing...

I've made a recording of the fan's noise at boot (until Windows 10 launch) using the iPhone native sound record tool. This record can be retreived from here.

Please share your feeling about this annoying noise, thank you.

Jean

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK - lound rattle noise from FAN after 4 weeks of use
                N.Scott.Pearson

That is most definitely the sound of the blower's blades touching something as they spin. With the system running, try (carefully!) lifting (prying) the blower just a bit, using a small screw driver under the bottom left edge and see if this stops the noise. The other possibility is that you (perhaps without knowing) pressed down on the blower and the top metal plate is depressed and touching its blades. This too can be fixed by (with NUC powered off), carefully prying up on the plate at a few points around the opening. I have marked the picture for where to do so; big X for where to pry up whole blower unit and smaller X's for where to pry up the plate.

IMG_3844.JPG

Hope this helps,

...S

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK - lound rattle noise from FAN after 4 weeks of use
                  Intel Corporation

Jean, I agree with Scott; the sound is definitely something getting in the way of the blades. You can try following Scott's suggestion, but if you do not want to we can go ahead and replace your unit, just use our contact options for that Contact Support

Regards,

Amy.

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK - lound rattle noise from FAN after 4 weeks of use
                    JohnHWman

Hello Amy,

Tonight, I tried Scott's suggestion :

- With NUC in Off state, I've unscrewed the bottom plate (4 small Philips screws) and removed it away.

- I tried to manually (with one finger) rotate the fan's blades and noticed that there was no obstruction to the blades on several complete rotations

- Then I lay down the NUC on the desk without the bottom plate.

- I've powered up the NUC and immediatly noticed no more 'rattle' noise : Good !

- With the NUC running (with fan spinning), I've crewed back the bottom plate and the noise was back again...

I decided to remove again the bottom plate again (with fan's running) and tried to tirup the metal part over the blades all around the circle hole without any improvments on noise...

Then I finally decided to unscrew a bit the two small silver Philips Screws that hold the fan system to the top Assy and then reattach the bottom plate to the NUC cabinet with its 4 screw.

Once back in proper orientation on the desk, the NUC makes no more noise . However, I do have more test to do to be completely sure :

- Have the situation where the fan's speed is high (most the time, the Fan's speed is low on Win 10 desktop ...)

- Hear the fan's noise during a cold boot with high speed (after a long period of time with NUC powered off) because the Cold start of the NUC made much more fan's rattle noise than after 10 minutes of running...

I'll let you know if this issue is really solved

With kind regards to all of you

Jean

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK - lound rattle noise from FAN after 4 weeks of use
                      Intel Corporation

Awesome, keep me posted!

Regards,

Amy.

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK - lound rattle noise from FAN after 4 weeks of use
                        JohnHWman

Well...

I've been too optimistic in my last post: After a night with NUC powered-off, the loud rattle noise is back again

Now, I'm convinced that this noise is not due to the blades touching something inside its cavity but rather is clearly relevant to ball/cylinder bearing issue within the fan's motor. FYI, as an electronic engineer for more than 30 years, I've been facing such fan's issue several times in the past ...

Since I'm using my NUC everyday, within warranty, is there a chance to get a replacement fan (only fan's part, not heat pipes) as spare element to be able to replace it myself ?

That would be very convenient to me

Later and than for your suggestions during this subject.

Jean

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK - lound rattle noise from FAN after 4 weeks of use
                          Intel Corporation

I am sorry to hear that!

Jean, I have checked our inventory for the fan part number of your NUC model; however, I am afraid that there is no part number meaning that the whole unit has to be replaced. You might try searching for the fan over the internet, but the safest option and my recommendation is to replace the whole unit.

Regards,

Amy.

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KYK - lound rattle noise from FAN after 4 weeks of use
                            JohnHWman

No way to replace the fan only, that's a pity...

OK, so FYI, I've issued a service request (NUC replacement) today (Case #01921182)

Anyway thanks for all to try helping me solving this noise issue.

I hope the replacement unit will solve this...

With best regards

Jean

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KYK - lound rattle noise from FAN after 4 weeks of use
                              Intel Corporation

Sure, you're welcome.

Please let me know as soon as you receive the unit.

Regards,

Amy.

• 12. Re: NUC6i7KYK - Loud rattle noise from FAN after 4 weeks of use
                                JohnHWman

Hello Amy,

FYI, I've well received my replacement NUC unit from Intel Netherlands yesterday. This was a fast process

I've reinstalled the SSD and So-DIMM parts, updated the BIOS (was #036) to #042 and start the unit.

Now the fan is quiet at boot : good

However, I'm disapointed that my Windows 10 Pro licence (OEM ESD) is no longer valid : WIN10 is now 'not activated anymore'

I assume that the unit/processor serial numbers are new on the replaced unit and then WIN10 detected their changes --> WIN10 noticed "Your licence # is already used by another unit..."

Since my WIN10 Pro licence is OEM and I still use it on the same 'Single/unique' NUC unit, how can I reactivate my Windows licence without buying a new (expensive) one ??

Thanks in advance

Jean

• 13. Re: NUC6i7KYK - Loud rattle noise from FAN after 4 weeks of use
                                  Intel Corporation

Jean, those are good news! 

You might need to contact Microsoft in regard to the Windows® 10 license, from my end I can help with the hardware, but software the best call should be contacting Microsoft.

If there is something else I can help you with, please let me know.

Regards,

Amy.

• 14. Re: NUC6i7KYK - Loud rattle noise from FAN after 4 weeks of use
                                    JohnHWman

Hi Amy,

I've spend some time with Microsoft on the phone to re-activate my Windows 10 OS and all is good now

Thanks!

Jean

1 2 Previous Next