10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2017 4:50 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC 2820 - Fastboot appears to have no effect

H.Bear

G'day,

I have a NUC 2820 with latest (55) BIOS and UEFI boot selected, with Librelec installed on an SSD, connected via HDMI to my AV receiver.

Without Fastboot selected the NUC takes approx 15 seconds to post and then show the Librelec splash screen, and 25 seconds to fully boot to Kodi,

With Fastboot selected the time to splash screen and fully boot are the same, the only noticeable difference is that there is no Intel splash screen and no ability to enter BIOS with F2.

25 seconds is pretty good but I would like to reduce the boot time as much as possible and I'm not sure why the Fastboot seems to have no effect.

Cheers,

- Bear

• 1. Re: NUC 2820 - Fastboot appears to have no effect
          N.Scott.Pearson

The slower the processor, the less noticeable the improvement are going to be. A slower processor takes longer to do things and the delays eliminated on faster processors are not as big on slower processors. If you don't have anything other than keyboard and mouse connected to USB, eliminating its enumeration may not save you much either. Bottom line, Fastboot is not a panacea...

...S

• 2. Re: NUC 2820 - Fastboot appears to have no effect
            H.Bear

Thanks for the reply, though I would have thought the opposite.

Slower processor takes longer to conduct those unnecessary processes, therefore removing those unnecessary processes should provide a more noticeable effect?

A 15 second POST seems too long considering the minimum hardware compared to a normal desktop.

Anyway, I might try to re-install via the Legacy BIOS. Is UEFI normally faster or slower than Legacy?

Cheers,

- Bear

• 3. Re: NUC 2820 - Fastboot appears to have no effect
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

N. Scott Pearson, thanks for your help.

To: H.Bear,

Hello H.Bear,

In regard to your concern, I would like to confirm if the information provided by N. Scott Pearson was able to help you with your concern?

I am looking forward to heard from you.

Regards,
              Angie

• 4. Re: NUC 2820 - Fastboot appears to have no effect
                lw1948

I agree with H.Bear that no solution is given by Intel in Bios settings, to reduce the POST booting time. Its take long time also on NUC6i5. The tests are not optimized (compared even to an old PC). The Bios should give an option to shorten or even skip on some tests.

• 5. Re: NUC 2820 - Fastboot appears to have no effect
                  H.Bear

G'day Angie,

No solution as yet. I will try the Legacy boot in lieu of the UEFI boot and see if that improves the boot time.

Won't be for a few days though as I'm back to work tomorrow.

Cheers,

- Bear

• 6. Re: NUC 2820 - Fastboot appears to have no effect
                    Intel Corporation

Goo day to you too H.Bear,

Please let me know the results of your test once that your are done.

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Regards,
                    Angie

• 7. Re: NUC 2820 - Fastboot appears to have no effect
                      tmmoore800

I have the exact same issue. Fast boot just seems to black out the post screen. Never really received a response from intel on other threads

• 8. Re: NUC 2820 - Fastboot appears to have no effect
                        N.Scott.Pearson

Fast Boot is disabling Video initialization (leaving it to the O/S to perform), USB initialization and bus enumeration (also leaving it to the O/S to perform) and support for booting from any devices (including LAN) other than a HDD/SSD. If this helps with boot time, great, if not, well, if you don't like a feature... don't use it!

Personally, the inconvenience of the feature bothers me more than the savings is worth. If you are booting often enough that boot times bother you, you need to be asking yourself why you are doing it so often (Hint: you shouldn't be).

...S

P.S. Legacy Boot and UEFI boot times are practically identical; choosing one other the other isn't going to make enough of a difference to even notice.

• 9. Re: NUC 2820 - Fastboot appears to have no effect
                          lw1948

Looks that the functions that are omitted by the "fast boot" are not time consuming.  I don't know why BIOS need about 13 seconds (in NUC6i5xxx), till the Windows start (till the swinging ring is displayed on bios screen). It takes only 5 seconds to boot Windows 10. I thing that most of the time is consumed during performing different hardware tests. In my opinion Intel shall give possibility to skip some test (like usually long memory tests, network adapter, WiFi) during booting process. If there is a failure in hardware, the test will not fix it, so it can be omitted. Probably, when memory fails, the computer will not run at all. Fast boot in some cases is more important then Power UP BIT. When a failure is suspected, the user will be able to return to the default boot and perform the full test.

Hope Intel will consider this advise.

Leon

• 10. Re: NUC 2820 - Fastboot appears to have no effect
                            Intel Corporation

Hello H.Bear,

I would like to know if the information provided to you was able to solve your concern?

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
                            Angie.