8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2016 2:33 PM by christoph9

Fan speed at 3000 RPM in Quiet mode even when idle

christoph9

I have just bought the NUC6I3SYK box. The default Fan Control Mode was Balanced, and the fan speed was at almost 3000 RPM, which seems far too high (and far too noisy) given that the system is idle.

I then switched the mode to Quiet and rebooted, but this had no effect at all:

fan.png

When I set the mode to Fixed with a Fixed Duty Cycle of 25, the fan slows down, but still with over 2100 RPM.

I have already updated the BIOS version from 0051 to 0054, but this did not fix the problem. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Fan speed at 3000 RPM in Quiet mode even when idle
          N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, changing the Fan Control Mode does NOT change the Minimum Duty Cycle setting; it changes the acceleration curve that is utilized as temperatures increase.

The Minimum Duty Cycle was chosen to maximize the cooling provided while keeping the noise generated by the blower as low as possible. You should not have to lower it. I rather doubt that lowering it from 35% to 25% will eliminate much of the noise that it is generating - and I do not recommend going below 25% as this can result in unstable operation and increased wear on the blower.

I have said it twice; this is a blower; it is not a fan. The use of a blower is predicated by the very small amount of space available for the cooling solution; in order to use a fan, a much larger chassis would have been necessary. By their very nature, blowers are much less efficient than fans; they have to operate at higher RPMs in order to move the same amount of air. If your concern is with how fast the blower is spinning, rest easy; blowers are designed to spin at faster speeds.

If your concern is with the amount of noise that the blower is generating at this minimum speed; get over it; it is necessary. As I said, the minimum speed was chosen to maximize the cooling provided while keeping the noise as low as possible. If it is loud enough to be annoying, you might have a defective unit and you could return it for replacement. If this is just you being oversensitive, well, you will know it when the replacement unit arrives.

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Fan speed at 3000 RPM in Quiet mode even when idle
            N.Scott.Pearson

Oh, I forgot to add: Fixing the blower speed - especially at such a low setting - will likely result in your processor eventually burning out. Don't do it.

• 3. Re: Fan speed at 3000 RPM in Quiet mode even when idle
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

N. Scott Pearson, thanks for your help.

To: christoph9

Hello christoph9,

I would like to confirm if the previous information provided was able to help you with your concern? 

I am looking forward to heard from you.

Regards,
              Angie.

• 4. Re: Fan speed at 3000 RPM in Quiet mode even when idle
                christoph9

Thank you for your post!

I did indeed not take into account the different designs of blowers and fans.

However, the noise of 3000 RPM is in fact a litle bit annoying; 2100 RPM is much more pleasant to my ears. Of course, I do not plan to use a Fixed setting besides from testing. However, when I create a Custom setting (based on the Balanced mode) with the Minimum Duty Cycle lowered from 35% to 25%, the blower spins with 2100 RPM when the system is idle and spins up when the system is under load, so I should still be safe from overheating, right?

• 5. Re: Fan speed at 3000 RPM in Quiet mode even when idle
                  N.Scott.Pearson

If you would like to lower the Minimum Duty Cycle to 25%, then this is the my recommended configuration:

Fan Control Mode                               Custom

Minimum Duty Cycle                           25

Primary Temperature Sensor              Processor

Minimum Temperature                        65

Duty Cycle Increment                          4

Secondary Temperature Sensor         Memory

Minimum Temperature                        55

Duty Cycle Increment                          4

This ensures that the duty cycle will start rising when the processor temperature goes above 65c or the memory temperature goes above 55c and the blower will reach full speed (100% duty cycle) when the processor temperature reaches 84c or the memory temperature reaches 74c. If the processor's temperature is below 65c and the memory temperature is below 55c, the duty cycle will sit at 25%.

Note that, in the case of the processor, this presumes that the processor's Maximum Junction Temperature (Tjmax) is 100c. If you don't have a tool that displays the true Tjmax, leave the configuration as it is. If the true Tjmax value is higher or lower, however, adjust the Processor's Minimum Temperature up or down by the difference from 100c. That is, if the true Tjmax is 103c, for example, make the Minimum Temperature +3 (68c).

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. If you are annoyed by the sound level at 40%, I hate to think what 75% or 100% will do to you - and I can guarantee that it *will* reach these levels.

• 6. Re: Fan speed at 3000 RPM in Quiet mode even when idle
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

N. Scott Pearson, thank you a lot, for all your help.

To: christoph9

Hello christoph9,

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your concern with the information provided by N. Scott Pearson? 

I am looking forward to heard from you.

Regards,
                    Angie.

• 7. Re: Fan speed at 3000 RPM in Quiet mode even when idle
                      christoph9

I set the configuration according to your recommendations, and the blower is almost inaudible now.

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Christoph

• 8. Re: Fan speed at 3000 RPM in Quiet mode even when idle
                        christoph9

Intel Corporation schrieb:

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your concern with the information provided by N. Scott Pearson?

Yes, I consider this problem solved.

Regards,

Christoph