1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2016 5:24 PM by cvare

Lost ability to set SATA password

christoph9

I have just bought the NUC6I3SYK box, plus a Crucial MX300 275GB M.2 drive. I would very much like to use the Hard Disk Drive Password Security Feature, as described in the Technical Product Specification.

When I first booted the machine and went into the Visual BIOS, I am almost certain that I spotted a button in the Security tab to set a SATA password. However, I chose to install the operating system (Windows 10) first. When I later returned to the BIOS, the button was gone – only the Set Supervisor Password and Set User Password buttons are currently shown, but it is no longer possible to set a SATA password. This is what the BIOS screen looks like:

security.png

Can anyone comment on this?

• 1. Re: Lost ability to set SATA password
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello christoph9,

Thank you for joining the Intel community.

Please try the following to clear your password and then you can set it up again.

Please remove the jumper that is located inside of the NUC, follow these steps:

1. Make sure the computer and any attached devices are powered off.
          2. Disconnect the computer from the power source.
          3. Remove the computer cover.
          4. Find and remove onboard configuration jumper.
          5. Plug in the computer to the power source and power on the computer.
          6. The computer displays the Config Menu.
          7. Select [2] Clear BIOS User and Supervisor Passwords.
          8. Power off the computer and disconnect it from the power source.
          9. Place the configuration jumper back to its original position.
          10. Replace the cover.
          11. Plug in the computer to the power source and power on the computer.
          Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS versions, if you don’t have the latest BIOS you can download and follow the BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Please let me know if that helps.

Regards,

Ivan
          • 2. Re: Lost ability to set SATA password
            christoph9

Intel Corporation wrote:

Please try the following to clear your password and then you can set it up again.

Sorry, but I don't think that your instructions apply to my problem:

• I don't want to clear any passwords. I have never set any passwords, so there are no passwords that need be cleared.
            • I am not referring to the BIOS User Password or the BIOS Supervisor Password, but the User hard disk drive password, as described in section 3.8 of the Technical Product Specification.

Intel Corporation wrote:

Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS versions, if you don’t have the latest BIOS you can download and follow the BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

When I realized that the SATA password button had disappeared, I updated the BIOS from 0051 to 0054. Unfortunately, this did not bring the button back.

• 3. Re: Lost ability to set SATA password
              christoph9

I now believe that the installation of Windows 10 activated some sort of encryption on the Crucial MX300 275GB M.2 drive. I have installed the Crucial Storage Executive software to inspect the properties of that drive. One of its reports states:

• TCG Status: Activated
              • TCG SSC type: OPAL

According to User Guide of that software: "TCG is automatically enabled on drives that are initialized in systems running Windows 8 or later, or it can be enabled with third-party software utilities. For more in-formation on TCG, refer to http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/."

It seems reasonable that the NUC6I3SYK BIOS does not offer to set a Hard Disk Drive Password for a drive that is already encrypted. However, although the drive may be encrypted, there is no password prompt on start-up, and I have no idea how to enable such a password prompt.

AFAIK, Windows BitLocker supports OPAL, but I am running Windows 10 Home edition, so BitLocker is not an option.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

• 4. Re: Lost ability to set SATA password
                Intel Corporation

To understand better, is this a hard disk that it was encrypted and installed in another PC and you install it in the NUC or you encrypted this disk using the NUC?

Please allow me to set a hard disk drive password with one of the units I have to see if I get the prompt password for the HDD.

The password prompt shows automatically once you set a hard disk drive password, but is not happening to you, correct?

Ivan.

• 5. Re: Lost ability to set SATA password
                  christoph9

Intel Corporation wrote:

To understand better, is this a hard disk that it was encrypted and installed in another PC and you install it in the NUC or you encrypted this disk using the NUC?

I never set a password for the Crucial MX300 M.2 drive installed in my NUC, and the drive was not installed in another PC before.

The only thing I did with that drive was to install Windows 10. I assume that this somehow changed the drive's properties.

Intel Corporation wrote:

Please allow me to set a hard disk drive password with one of the units I have to see if I get the prompt password for the HDD.

The password prompt shows automatically once you set a hard disk drive password, but is not happening to you, correct?

I do not see a password prompt on startup, and I do not expect to see a password prompt since I never set any password.

When I entered the BIOS for the very first time, I remember the Security tab looked similar to this, with a button labelled Set HDD Password (or something similar):

security2.png

(However, I never clicked that button!)

When I returned to the BIOS after I had installed Windows 10, the Set HDD Password button had disappeared.

Can you confirm that such a button should exist? Can you specify the criteria that would make such a button appear or disappear?

Regards,

Christoph

• 6. Re: Lost ability to set SATA password
                    lw1948

Hello Christoph,

In my NUC6i5SYH, Windows 10 Pro, I've two storage devices: SSD Samsung SM951 256 GB NVMe (my system is installed on it) and conventional HDD WD 1TB. As you can see on the attached picture the password can be set on the SATA HDD only.  The NVMe SSD is not visible in password screen. May be this is some clue?

Nuc6i5syh security.jpg

• 7. Re: Lost ability to set SATA password
                      christoph9

lw1948 wrote:

In my NUC6i5SYH, Windows 10 Pro, I've two storage devices: SSD Samsung SM951 256 GB NVMe (my system is installed on it) and conventional HDD WD 1TB. As you can see on the attached picture the password can be set on the SATA HDD only. The NVMe SSD is not visible in password screen. May be this is some clue?

Nuc6i5syh security.jpg

This screenshot shows exactly what I recall from when I entered the BIOS for the first time – so at least I am not hallucinating. Thanks!

The fact that you can only set a password for the HDD supports my theory (or at least doesn't contradict it): I think it's absolutely possible that you would have been able to set a password for both SSD and HDD before the OS installation. But when the OS (Windows 8 or Windows 10, I assume?) was installed on the SSD, it changed its properties in the same way as it did with my drive.

So the question remains how to reset the drive to its initial state. I have run Crucial's Executive Storage tool using the command line

msecli.exe -X -P -p … -n Drive0

which, according to its User Guide, performs a "PSID Revert" operation and "returns the drive to its factory default state". But unfortunately, even this did not bring the Set Hard Disk Drive Password button back.

Regards,

Christoph

• 8. Re: Lost ability to set SATA password
                        lw1948

Hello Christoph,

As I wrote, I've Windows 10 Pro OS installed. May be you are right, but see again this Note from the User Manual:

"NOTE

As implemented on Intel NUC Board NUC6i5SYB and Intel NUC Board NUC6i3SYB, Hard Disk Drive

Password Security is only supported on either SATA port 0 (M.2 ) or SATA Port 1 (onboard SATA

connector). The passwords are stored on the hard disk drive so if the drive is relocated to another

computer that does not support Hard Disk Drive Password Security feature, the drive will not be

accessible."

Does it say that only Sata interface is supported rather than PCI?

• 9. Re: Lost ability to set SATA password
                          Intel Corporation

I understand what you mean now, I am sorry for the misunderstood and yes, you should see those buttons there.

Try to set your system to default settings, press F9 on your keyboard and then press F10 to save the changes and restart your system.
                          If the problem persists, try with a BIOS recovery, you can do the BIOS recovery with the latest version 0054

If the problem persists, try with different SSD if it is possible, if not, that is understandable, it is just to see if the problem persists.

Please let me know how it goes.

Ivan.

• 10. Re: Lost ability to set SATA password
                            lw1948

Hello Ivan,

I just did it - have update Bios using recovery mode and set the Bios to default values. I'm using also different SDD than Christoph is using. Still the SDD is not shown in security menu (see post 6 and 8 above).

• 11. Re: Lost ability to set SATA password
                              christoph9

Intel Corporation wrote:

Try to set your system to default settings, press F9 on your keyboard and then press F10 to save the changes and restart your system.
                              If the problem persists, try with a BIOS recovery, you can do the BIOS recovery with the latest version 0054

I already tried loading the default settings with the F9 key, but this didn't help. I am quite sure now that this problem is caused by the TCG Status set during the Windows 10 installation, so a BIOS recovery wouldn't help either.

I have just posted a question at the Crucial community. Let's see if that brings me closer to a solution.

Regards,

Christoph

• 12. Re: Lost ability to set SATA password
                                Intel Corporation

Being that the case, let's wait to see what they say at the Crucial community if you don't mind.

Please keep us posted with any information 

Regards,

Ivan

• 13. Re: Lost ability to set SATA password
                                  lw1948

Hello Ivan

As you can see I'm not using Crucial SSD and have the same situation with Samsung SM951. What about Intel engineers? Can you duplicate this problem? In your setup can you set a password for SDD?

• 14. Re: Lost ability to set SATA password
                                    christoph9

Intel Corporation wrote:

Being that the case, let's wait to see what they say at the Crucial community if you don't mind.

I was able to fix the problem myself. I just ran the "PSID Revert" command

msecli.exe -X -P -p … -n Drive0

again – and this time the TCG status was disabled, and I could finally set a password for the drive in the BIOS. I still don't understand why the "PSID Revert" didn't work the first time, but I can live with that.

What bugs me the most is the Windows 10 setup which set the TCG status. I assume it did so to prepare the drive for Microsoft BitLocker – which is absolutely pointless since I installed Windows 10 Home (which does not support BitLocker).

Regards,

Christoph

1 2 3 Previous Next