Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

i7-4710MQ Memory Controller problem

idata
Employee

Hello,

I have bought an used i7-4710MQ for my laptop, an Avell B155/ Clevo w650SJ. Installing the processor on the board, and simply trying to change the memory module to the other slot, it simply won't work! The laptop boots but does not show any image on the screen.

Changing the processor back to the originally bought i5-4200m, all memory slots work just fine.

Could that be the CPU's memory controller?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It could be that the i7-4710MS is defective. Or, it may not be supported by the BIOS on your laptop.

The upgrade processor must be socket and BIOS compatible. Check with the manufacture to determine if the processor is supported on THEIR BIOS.

If it is supported, then the processor is likey bad. Contact the seller.

Doc

idata
Employee

Hello arthurboss@outlook.com,

The chipset of your laptop is Mobile Intel® HM170 Express Chipset, this model is not listed in the compatible products list of the http://ark.intel.com/products/78931/Intel-Core-i7-4710MQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz# @compatibility Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz) Specifications. This might be reason why you computer will not boot with this processor, as mentioned before try checking with the computer manufacturer to determine if the processor is supported.

Regards,

Amy.

idata
Employee

Hi!

Actually it is compatible because I am using it right now with the processor, and this laptop model, when for sale, also had the option to be shipped with the i7-4710mq. It boots all just fine, but only the second slot for the SO-DIMM memory won't work.

That's why I'm getting bananas with this situation, and believe it could possibly be the processor's memory controller.

Also keeping in mind that, the motherboard is new, and with the i5-4200m both memory slots work just fine.

In case to be a faulty processor, does Intel offer the 3 year warranty for laptop processor units?

But thanks anyway guys, hope someone finds the answer for the situation, because I only bought the processor to sell my laptop, but now I have no money and a very interesting quest in my hands.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

There is a Three-Year Limited Warranty for Intel® Boxed Processors; however, your processor is not boxed, it's a tray processor; here you can check that information http://ark.intel.com/products/78931/Intel-Core-i7-4710MQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz# @ordering Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz) Specifications.

Intel does not provide warranty service for OEM processors, so for warranty inquiries you will have to get in contact with the place of purchase or your computer manufacturer.

For information on tray processor visit http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005712.html Frequently Asked Questions about Intel® Desktop Processor Warranty.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos