5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2016 3:24 PM by Intel Corporation

BOXNUC6I5SYH: need help validating ssd and memory

DocJL

Hi,

I'm about to purchase this NUC online, along with ssd and memory, I am not 100% sure about my choices.

I tend to favor well established brand names, but I also have a budget to consider, thanks for helping me hit the checkout button

Qty=1 of:

SAMSUNG 750 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-750500BW

Qty=2 of

Kingston 4GB 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Laptop Memory Model KVR21S15S8/4

• 1. Re: BOXNUC6I5SYH: need help validating ssd and memory
          N.Scott.Pearson

These should work, but there are a few other options to consider:

• I would use the M.2 connector for your SSD, so that the 2.5" drive bay is left available for a much larger data HDD (or, better, SSHD).
          • You can use a M.2 SATA SSD, which will perform on par with a 2.5" SATA SSD, or you can go for higher performance using a M.2 NVMe SSD.
          • You didn't mention your O/S choice. If you are going to use Windows 7 and you want to use a M.2 NVMe SSD, make sure you choose one that provides drivers for Windows 7 and make sure you do a UEFI-based install. This is not a concern if your choice is Windows 10 (where drivers are built in).

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: BOXNUC6I5SYH: need help validating ssd and memory
            DocJL

Thanks,

I realize I didn't provide much context, never too late to do that.

It's for a HTPC, no PC games involved, 90% media playing, and some browsing.

I plan to use Win 10. As far as storage is concerned, it's almost irrelevant as my media stockpile is on another networked pc.

Since you seem to favor m2 over sata, can you expand on that.

One last thing, again, since I am not running NASA with this htpc, I figured 8gb of ram would be more than sufficient.

I thought it would be better to have 2 sticks of 4gb over a single 8gb, am I correct in my assumption?

• 3. Re: BOXNUC6I5SYH: need help validating ssd and memory
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to N. Scott Pearson for the information posted above.

To DocJL:

I just wanted to confirm the information above as correct, and yes, you can always use 8GB of RAM, that should work just fine, the NUC works with: DDR4-2133 1.2V SO-DIMM, so the one you are planning to choose it is fully compatible.

For more specifications about the NUC, please verify the following link:

http://ark.intel.com/products/89190/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i5SYH?q=Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH

In regard to SSD, with this NUC you have the option to use either and M.2 SSD or the hard drive that you mentioned above, both are fully compatible, normally it is recommended to use the M.2 SSD because basically it is faster that the regular hard drive.

Additionally, on the following link you will find a list of tested peripherals, those were tested by Intel, but if the hard drive or SSD you want to use is not listed there, that does not mean it will not work, there are different products that are not on the list and work just fine with the NUC.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-kits/000016218.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 4. Re: BOXNUC6I5SYH: need help validating ssd and memory
                nucblog.net

Those components will work just fine together. And indeed, 2x4 GB is marginally faster than 1x8 GB. You probably won't notice any difference in practice unless you run games or video benchmarks on your NUC.

If you only plan to install a single SSD drive, you could also get the smaller NUC6i5SYK and install a single M.2 SSD drive. Looks neater.

If you want to play around with hardware configuration, have a look at the tool on my page that will help you choosing a matching set of components:

NUC Guru - Build Your Own NUC - The NUC Blog

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: BOXNUC6I5SYH: need help validating ssd and memory
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to nucblog.net for the comments above.

To DocJL:

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto