Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14615 Discussions

Xeon E5520 with BXSTS100p is it possible?

idata
Employee

Hello,

I got a guestion.

I have

MB Intel s5500BC, CPU: 2xXeon E5520 in INTEL srv case SC5650DP , but I haven't any cooling for my CPUs. My local distr. haven't BXSTS100A, so is it possible to run my server machine with BXSTS100P ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

From the Spare Parts List User Guide:

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5500bc/sb/s5500bc_config_guide_123.pdf

Page 29/31

The chassis is designed to work with boxed Intel® Xeon® processor 5500 series using Intel® Thermal Solution STS100C (Combo) or STS100A (Active).

Since the TDP for the CPU E5520 is only 80W, the best thermal solution will be STS100A.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=40200

I guess the STS100C will still work fine, except that it may be more expensive than the active one.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your answer.

If I'm using sts100p, is it possible to cause cpu failure?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello again,

I would not recommend you to use something unsupported.

The passive cooling was tested on Rack Chassis. Based on the acoustic noise, thermal testing and several factors etc., they have validated this configuration.

So if you are using passive cooling in the pedestal chassis, it may not be enough to cool the cpu and provide proper aeration, thus on the long run, it will damage your CPU or affect the life expectancy for the CPU. And one thing which is vey important, it may void your warranty.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you again for your answer.

I will wait for STS100A then.

Best regards,

V.Simeonov

Bulgaria

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

No problem, may be you can mark the question as answered if possible.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes and thank you again for your answers.

First I found only BXSTS100P for my CPUs, but after your answer, that this may casue cpu failure I begin to search for other options.

Before few minutes I found what I need - BXSTS100A available for purchase from another distributor, so my problem is solved.

ps. I am sorry for my bad english.

Best regards,

V.Simeonov

Bulgaria

0 Kudos