Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

Intel i5-6500 issues and warranty support

idata
Employee

Earlier this year I built a new desktop and among the parts that I purchased I bought an Intel Core i5-6500 6MB Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 Ghz LGA 1151 as well as an MSI Z170A SLI Plus LGA 1151 Intel Z170 Motherboard.

About 1-2 months ago I turned on my desktop and after about 2 seconds it restarted itself and repeated this process until I unplugged the power cable. After letting the desktop rest for 1 minute I plugged it back in and it booted up just fine. This problem presented itself again about 2 weeks ago and this time I unplugged the desktop, took it to my work bench and used a multi-meter to test each connection on the power supply and all of my power readings came back good. The desktop continued to work just fine.

Almost 1 week ago now my desktop shutdown on its own and when I turn it on I get a similar issue only this time it doesn't restart itself. It doesn't POST, there aren't any beep codes, no video, my LED keyboard/mouse don't light up, and my wireless headset adapter doesn't light up either.

Here's a list of the things I have tried:

1) Used a different monitor.

2) Switched to on-board graphics.

3) Switched RAM slots.

4) Reseated the video card.

5) Reseated all power supply connections.

6) Unplugged all peripheral devices.

7) Unplugged the DVD Drive, Blu-Ray Drive, and SSD.

8) Took out the video card.

9) Took out the RAM.

10) Reapplied thermal paste.

11) Reseated the CPU.

12) Checked to ensure none of the motherboard CPU pins were damaged or bent.

This issue continues to persist and I haven't had any trouble with any other component in my desktop. I've also noticed that my motherboard has an EZ Debug LED and it shows that the CPU is at fault.

The only thing I can't do is try a different CPU as I don't have one laying around and everyone I know that has a gaming desktop don't have an LGA 1151 compatible CPU (I built their rigs or consulted with them on the subject). I also don't have a motherboard laying around either however all of the fans spin up just fine and I haven't found any visible damage to the motherboard which leads me to believe that the CPU is at fault. I'm open to suggestions on the issue but I'm fairly certain the issue is the a faulty CPU.

Another issue that I'm having is submitting a warranty request with Intel. I've been trying the website for the past 3 days and it says that the "System is unavailable". I've tried Live Chat but it has been unavailable even at this hour. I've been searching for an email option but I haven't been able to find an email address under contact support or anywhere throughout their website including Google.

So my question is: What am I supposed to do?

I know I can call but that will take some time to clear my schedule in order to sit on a service call for however long that will take therefore having the system available to submit warranties or email is generally my best option.

Here are my system specs for troubleshooting purposes:

Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI Plus LGA 1151

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 MB Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 Ghz LGA 1151

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB

RAM: (2 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 288-pin DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)

Power Supply: XFX ProSeries P1-1000-BELX 1000W

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello CSJacob,

I do apologize for any inconvenience that you may have had due to this matter.

In order to proceed with the warranty for your processor, you can contact our Warranty Team at the following link:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support

Regards,

Angie

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Angie,

Unfortunately I have been all over the Contact Support page, long before I made this post, and it still doesn't help. The options available under Contact Support are as follows:

1. Support Community - Where we currently are.

2. Social Media - I don't use Twitter and I don't see how a tweet is going to be of any help here.

3. Online Service Request - This is the most ideal option and has been down for about 2 weeks as far as I can tell and continues to be down even to this day.

4. Email for Sales Inquiries - This doesn't apply to me as I'm looking for warranty support, not to purchase.

5. Live Chat - This is the 2nd most ideal option but I've been checking in with this service since 11 am(Central) for the past 4 days and it has been unavailable.

6. Phone - This is the option I see as the most popular among users in the forums but unfortunately it is not my best option. I am busy throughout the week and my schedule is clear on the weekends which just happens to be outside of business hours.

This is why an email address would be the likely best option as it appears my time frames do NOT match up with that of Intel's therefore an email address seems to be an excellent option however I can't seem to find an email address to use.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello CSJacob,

I do apologize for any inconvenience that this situation may cause you.

I will reply to you through a private message.

Regards,

Angie.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with the processor ( i5 6600 3,3Ghz 6M) such as the user above.

In addition, I have a problem with the RMA.

"Single Sign-On Error

We can not log you in. Check for an invalid assertion in the SAML Assertion Validator (available in Single Sign-On Settings) or check the login history for failed logins. "

I would like to take advantage of the guarantee.

I5 6600 3,3Ghz 6M - faulty

Kingston DDR4 4x4GB 2400MHz CL15 HyperX FURY - ok

Asrock Z170 Pro4s - ok

Cooler Scythe Mugen 4 (SCMG-4000) - ok

MSI GTX970 GAMING 4G - ok

Be Quiet Dark Power Pro P10 750w - ok

Samsung SSD 840 PRO 512GB - ok

All components tested in the computer of my friend who has the same processor.

Please help.

Regards,

Matthew Faruga
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mateusz.Faruga,

My apologies for any inconvenience. If you are interested in replacing your unit, I would recommend using our phone or chat support for a faster interaction.

Here you can find the link for the chat support Contact Support, and here you can find the phone contact info for all the GEOs or locations supported over the phone:

EMEA contact information: http://intel.ly/28QeAF3

APAC contact information: http://intel.ly/1ITfjUF

LAR contact information: http://intel.ly/29c0rW4

North America: Phone Number 1-916-377-7000, Business Hours: Monday - Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time).

Or if you would like to receive specialized support, I would like to kindly recommend you to open a new forum and provide all the details about your concern, so then, the next available agent will do a review on your specific request.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos