5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 6:38 AM by Intel Corporation

SSD and Rapid Storage Technology

VincentVanbecelaere

Hi,

Yesterday i've been trying all day to accelerate my harddrive using my 20GB SDD.

So I successfully installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software and was able to change my SSD into a caching device.

Knipsel.PNG

My SDD model is KINGSTON SMS151S324G

Hard Drive is TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050

But the problem is that everytime i try to accelerate my hard drive I get the same error: "An unknown error has occured while an operation was in progress. The operation could not be completed."

If I then check my windows log files IRTS_UI gives me the following error: "Error: Action failure, Action request timed out DiskSetCacheMode."

While browsing some people found a solution by shrinking their main partition by about 20MB. This however does not solve the problem for me. I Keep getting the same error.

All my drivers are up to date and I am using the latetst RST software. 

Note: I also changed my BIOS - stettings to work as RAID, so this cannot be the problem either.

Hope somebody can help me.

Vincent

• 1. Re: SSD and Rapid Storage Technology
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello VincentVanbecelaere,

Thanks for posting in our community support. Since this situation is not related to an Intel® SSD, we are moving the thread to our chipset support community.

Regards,
          NC

• 2. Re: SSD and Rapid Storage Technology
            Intel Corporation

Please make sure you have updated to the latest Intel® Rapid Storage software 15.2 and try again. Let me know your findings. 

Intel® Rapid Storage 15.2

Allan. 

• 3. Re: SSD and Rapid Storage Technology
              Intel Corporation

Were you able to update the Intel® Rapid Storage?

Allan. 

• 4. Re: SSD and Rapid Storage Technology
                VincentVanbecelaere

Hi,

I already had the latest version of IRT. So this is not the issue.

The problem remains though, I keep getting the same error.

Everything works, even configuring my SSD to RAID, only actually accelerating my HDD doesn't.

I've literally searched the entire WWW concerning this issue and have come up with no solution.

Vincent

• 5. Re: SSD and Rapid Storage Technology
                  Intel Corporation

1. You mentioned you changed SATA mode to RAID. My question here. Did you reinstall the operating system after swapping SATA modes? For Intel, this is a requirement. 
                  2. What is your computer model?
                  3. Was your SSD as unallocated when you tried to accelerate?

Steps to enable SSD caching:
                  First, connect both drives to the Intel-powered SATA ports in your system; then fire it up, enter the system BIOS, and configure the SATA controller to RAID mode. Restart the system and install Windows on the hard drive, ignoring the SSD for now. When the Windows installation is complete, install the drivers necessary for your system's components, including the chipset drivers and the Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers; you can download both at the Intel Download Center.

Once you've installed those drivers, the system will restart, and the RST control panel will become accessible via an icon in the system tray. Double-click the RST icon, and in the resulting control panel click the Accelerate menu button; then select the SSD and specify how much storage space to dedicate to Smart Response Technology. SRT can use up to 64GB of SSD space for caching. With a 64GB or smaller SSD, you can use the entire drive and the OS will view the system as having just one drive. With an SSD of more than 64GB, you can use as much of the drive for SRT as you like and you can partition unused space on the SSD and assign it a drive letter.

After selecting the SSD and defining its capacity, you can enable acceleration and choose an SRT mode. Two modes are available: Enhanced and Maximized. Enhanced is essentially a write-through cache mode, with writes speeds limited by the hard drive's performance. Maximized mode acts as a write-back cache, an arrangement that yields optimum overall performance because it involves caching writes and then writing them to the hard drive later.

Allan.