1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2017 11:12 AM by cvare

Audio Pop over HDMI Audio in NUC6i7KYK

JamesU

Hello,

When one of my NUC starts or stops playing a sound, there is a noticeable "pop" coming across the speakers.  It doesn't seem to matter the source of the sound - a Windows click, playing an MP3, playing a movie, etc.  At the outset of playback there is a single pop, then when the sound is finished playing, there is another pop.  Obviously for short duration sounds, this is prevalent, like windows clicks and chimes.

I have two of these NUCs now, and only one of them is doing this.  Using the same BIOS and drivers on both.  I have not tested to see if the same pop is coming over the 3.5mm audio jack output yet.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Audio Pop over HDMI Audio in NUC6i7KYK
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello JamesU,

Please check if you can replicate the sound using the 3.5mm audio jack.

Is this the HDMI cable you are using from your both units https://www.amazon.com/Aurum-Ultra-Ethernet-Supports-Channel/dp/B009DMFOVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475626631&sr=8-1&keyw…? I got that information from your other thread.

Are the speakers from the TV or monitor?

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: Audio Pop over HDMI Audio in NUC6i7KYK
            JamesU

When I listen to the front audio jack with headphones, there is an ever-so-slight pop, but nothing like I hear coming across the HDMI output.  The pops on the HDMI output are much stronger and more prominent and more frequent.  Kind of like the staticy pop you might hear if you fiddle with an audio plug while sound is playing back real time.

Yes, that is the same cable I am using today.  I tried two other cables, all with the same effect - same prominent popping sound.

The speakers are a Dell soundbar built for the Dell monitor I have - Dell ST2420L.  It supports a modular sound bar that connects to the monitor (which is converting the HDMI audio output to analog).  My second NUC6i7KYK is using the same monitor and speaker solution without demonstrating the popping issue.  And this is the same monitor/speaker setup I used with my previous NUC5i5RYH (no popping with that system).

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Audio Pop over HDMI Audio in NUC6i7KYK
              ego74

I have this same issue using the 3.5mm audio jack out to a 2.1 (2 speakers + sub) set of powered speakers.  Whenever a sound plays, there is a loud pop.  I don't have the specifics of when this started occuring, but it was after either a firmware or audio driver update. 

• 4. Re: Audio Pop over HDMI Audio in NUC6i7KYK
                Intel Corporation

Tried to replicate this behavior in our units, but unfortunately the issue did not occur. I used the Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK Specifications, Windows® 10, Intel® HD Graphics .4501 and BIOS version 042 connected via HDMI to https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Monitors/PB238Q/.

What is the driver version you have installed?

Regards,

Amy.

• 5. Re: Audio Pop over HDMI Audio in NUC6i7KYK
                  JamesU

Windows 10 1607 with all updates

BIOS 0042

Video Driver: Still using Beta_15.40.26.64.4474 because of the previous issue with the graphics not restoring properly when waking the display.

Audio Driver: AUD_Win7_8.1_10_6.0.1.7910

The speaker pop was an issue independent from my Video drivers, when we were root causing my previous graphics issue.  I have had the speaker pop all along, and am trying to address the issues one at a time, based on nuisance factor and how bothersome they are.

I am concerned since I have one unit doing this and one that doesn't, that this may be a hardware issue with my first NUC6i7KYK.  My second one doesn't do this.  I've wondered if the HDMI Port FW update could help, but I don't know how to determine if that update is applicable to my system (How do I determine if 'HDMI 2.0 Firmware Updater Version 0x07_0x20' needs to be applied?).  I also don't have an HDMI 2.0 device to plug in, which seems to be required in order to perform the FW update.

• 6. Re: Audio Pop over HDMI Audio in NUC6i7KYK
                    Intel Corporation

I agree it might be a hardware issue, and we know this from the test I done and from your working unit. So, if you would like to replace the unit just get in contact with our phone or chat support for a faster interaction, see here for the contact information Contact Support  

I was not using the HDMI* 2.0 Firmware when I ran the on my unit. You would need a HDMI 2.0 device (monitor, TV, receiver, etc.), I was checking your monitor specs for the HDMI version, but I could not find it. However, you can try installing the firmware, if it does not work, well we know that the device is not HDMI 2.0.

Here is the firmware Download HDMI* 2.0 Firmware Update Tool 

Regards,

Amy.

• 7. Re: Audio Pop over HDMI Audio in NUC6i7KYK
                      liquidfusionv

I had the same problem over the 3.5mm audio jack, it's a problem with the realtec software.

What I did was uninstall it and rebooted the NUC, the driver automatically updates with the same valid one without the software and fault fixed.

Had a similar issue with a custom build computer, thought it might of been the same issue which it is.

• 8. Re: Audio Pop over HDMI Audio in NUC6i7KYK
                        N.Scott.Pearson

The RealTek software is not involved in the support of audio over the HDMI connection; this is handled by the Intel HD Audio device. There should not be any conflicts between the two output devices, but, as we all know with computers, anything is possible. I would ask if one of the folks having this issue could repeat this process and see if it makes a difference (I don't have the issue so I cannot do so myself)...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 9. Re: Audio Pop over HDMI Audio in NUC6i7KYK
                          Intel Corporation

liquidfusionv, thank you for input.

JamesU, were you able to replace the unit?

Regards,

Amy.

• 10. Re: Audio Pop over HDMI Audio in NUC6i7KYK
                            JamesU

Hi Amy,

I am in the process now on the warranty exchange.  I should have the new unit later this week, maybe Thursday.

Thanks

• 11. Re: Audio Pop over HDMI Audio in NUC6i7KYK
                              Intel Corporation

Alright, let me know as soon as you receive the unit.

Regards,

Amy.

• 12. Re: Audio Pop over HDMI Audio in NUC6i7KYK
                                JamesU

I got the new unit today and moved my components over (Memory, SSD, etc.).

I'm sorry to say that the new unit still behaves the same way - audible pop at the start and end of the audio stream when using HDMI Audio.

Just to keep the records straight, I am still sending the old unit back, as expected.  I need to continue to do that to get my refund for the cross-ship Warranty option.

At this time, I have reconfirmed the popping only occurs over HDMI output, so I have worked around the issue by connecting the speakers directly to the NUCs rear audio jack.  This audio output in analog mode doesn't make my speakers pop.

My guess is that there is something abnormal in the digital audio encoding stream of the HDMI output, and it is only in the first bits and last bits of the audio stream.  Whatever is happening, my monitor is sensitive to this audio stream aberration, and it is causing a pop when audio starts to play, and when audio stops playing.  I'll probably try switching back in 6 months or so to see if a video driver update has cleaned this up or not, but for now, I'll just use the analog output on the back of the NUC.

Thanks

• 13. Re: Audio Pop over HDMI Audio in NUC6i7KYK
                                  cvare

Thank you for keeping us up to date on your issue JamesU.  This is very strange indeed.  A few questions.

You say one NUC does this, one doesn't (even after the RMA).  What's different about the 2 units?  Is the OS the same?  Is the RAM/SSD the same?  On the bottom there's an SA number, what are the 3 digits after the dash, for example: H9xxx-100

A couple things to try since you're still having the issue with a new system it sure seems software related.  So if I were you I would try 2 things.  FIrst, get a mini display port, or USB Type C cable -> HDMI.  Second, reinstall the OS from scratch.  Up to you if you want to try either, but that's what I'd do.

Lastly, I'm about to post a new GFX driver and you may want to try that before anything else.  Should be up by end of day Friday at latest.

• 14. Re: Audio Pop over HDMI Audio in NUC6i7KYK
                                    N.Scott.Pearson

Let me stress one of Chris' points: try reinstalling Windows. This definitely sounds like a software problem. Yea, it's a pain, but I think it will make a difference.

Hope this helps,

...S

1 2 3 Previous Next