11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2016 10:34 AM by Intel Corporation

[PCH Core Voltage] out of recommended range.(1.640 V)

Gamerguy

Hi guys,

Recently, I got the above message([PCH Core Voltage] out of recommended range.(1.640 V)) when I was using the PC and i didn't know what it meant.

So i shut down the system just to be safe. When i tried to start again after some time it was not booting up(started for 1 sec and stopped immediately).

After a while, I removed the CMOS battery and put it in again(to clear CMOS), then the PC booted and but when i logged in, i was still getting the same warning message from Intel desktop utilities

Can you guys please help me understand what is the problem here??

Also can you provide suggestions to fix this??

Thanks in advance

My build:

Intel DZ75ML-45K mother board and a i7 3770 processor.

Corsair GS600 power supply

8gb of RAM

1GB GTX 650ti video card.

2 hard drives

• 1. Re: [PCH Core Voltage] out of recommended range.(1.640 V)
          N.Scott.Pearson

What this means is that Intel Desktop Utilities (IDU), which monitors various voltages in the system for health purposes, is detecting that the PCH (Platform Controller Hub) component is receiving a higher voltage from its regulator than it should.

This could simply be an issue with the sensor that is being used to measure this regulator's output voltage. In this case, you can change the thresholds (widen the acceptable voltage range) in IDU so that this alert is not generated. If the voltage regulator is truly generating this incorrect voltage, however, changing the thresholds will simply mask the issue. In this case, one of two things will eventually happen:

1. The voltage regulator, which is (obviously) not operating properly if it is outputting the wrong voltage, will eventually fail.
          2. The PCH, which is not meant to operate at this higher voltage, will eventually fail.

In both cases, the result is that the PCH component will not operate correctly and, because it is critical to board operation, the board will not operate correctly (if at all).

How you address this issue is up to you. You can ignore the issue, hoping that the issue is just with the sensor, but, if you are wrong, the board will eventually fail. The other alternative is to replace the board immediately. If it has been less than 3 years since you bought it, you still have warranty coverage and Intel will replace it. In this case, contact Intel Customer Support to arrange an RMA.

...S

• 2. Re: [PCH Core Voltage] out of recommended range.(1.640 V)
            Gamerguy

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the response.

The problem doesn't seem to occur every time. I'm not sure what causes this but it occasionally pops up once in a while.Like once in 3 months or 6 months.

Can voltage fluctuations cause such problems even if the PC is powered through a UPS?

Yesterday, there were voltage fluctuations like an hour or two before the issue came up

Today, my pc is working fine and PCH core voltage is at 1.05v

Can this over voltage cause system to not startup, because that is what happened yesterday. After i cleared the bios only i was able to startup.

• 3. Re: [PCH Core Voltage] out of recommended range.(1.640 V)
              N.Scott.Pearson

The UPS is supposed to stop power fluctuations from getting through to the system. Yes, this over-voltage can (and likely will) stop the system from powering on and booting successfully. If the PCH doesn't work properly, the system doesn't work properly; it's that critical.

...S

• 4. Re: [PCH Core Voltage] out of recommended range.(1.640 V)
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello,

Thank you, Scott for all the information provided regarding this matter.

Please let us know how it goes, Gamerguy.

Regards,
                Esteban C

• 5. Re: [PCH Core Voltage] out of recommended range.(1.640 V)
                  Gamerguy

Hi Guys,

The PCH core voltage seems to be in the normal range(1.05V) now, but i'm facing other problems with my PC now.
                  But this(PCH voltage going out of range) happened previously also, when i was playing games or surfing the web. I didn't think much of it then as it was usually solved by shutting down.

I am not sure if it is related but two days back my PC refused to load in normal mode and was working only in safe mode.

Now my PC freezes randomly with buzzing sound from speaker while I'm using it(while watching video(offline/online) or just browsing) which forces me to do a hard reset to recover.

I have the Run the Intel processor diagnostics tool to check my processor and it passes all the tests.

I have run memtest 86+ and Windows memory diagnostic  to check my RAM and it passes as well.

Not sure what is the problem here, would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

• 6. Re: [PCH Core Voltage] out of recommended range.(1.640 V)
                    N.Scott.Pearson

As I have said before, I believe that either your PCH component or the VR circuitry for the PCH component is failing. Have you also been monitoring temperatures?

• 7. Re: [PCH Core Voltage] out of recommended range.(1.640 V)
                      Gamerguy

Yes, I have been monitoring temperature as well. Processor was going up to 90 odd on playing games, but I reapplied thermal grease and it was able to pass Intel processor diagnostic tool's load test. Ambient temperature is around 30 to 35c here , so idle temperatures are around 45 to 50C for the CPU. Never had an alert for PCH temperature from Intel desktop utilities anyway. PCH temperature is around 50C now.

P.S: I cross referenced temperatures & voltages reported by Intel desktop utilities with Hardware monitor as well, they are the same.

While applying the thermal grease i noticed the back of the processor in a particular region looked a little faded(golden pads were fine), like someone colored over that region, should i be concerned about this?

• 8. Re: [PCH Core Voltage] out of recommended range.(1.640 V)
                        Intel Corporation

Hello Gamerguy,

Thank you for the answer provided.

In regard to the thing you noticed on your processor, is there a chance you can provide us with a picture of this CPU in order to check if this is ok or not?

Regards,
                        Esteban C

• 9. Re: [PCH Core Voltage] out of recommended range.(1.640 V)
                          Intel Corporation

Hi Gamerguy,

I just sent a PM to you, would you please check your inbox?

Thanks,
                          Esteban C

• 10. Re: [PCH Core Voltage] out of recommended range.(1.640 V)
                            Gamerguy

Apologies for the late response. Please find the image attached.

• 11. Re: [PCH Core Voltage] out of recommended range.(1.640 V)
                              Intel Corporation

Thank you for the pictures provided!

I don't see any possible damage that could be affecting the behavior of the system.

Please check you Inbox, I just sent another PM to you

Regards,
                              Esteban C