12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2016 11:55 AM by Intel Corporation

Build Joule OS

kinghiswa

Is there a guide or example recipes to build the Joule OS and add layers/recipes/etc? I tried rebuilding using information available from Ostro; the image loaded and saw kernel messages but never made it to a prompt like the factory image did.

• 1. Re: Build Joule OS
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello kinghiswa,

Thanks for reaching out!

In order to build Joule's image, could you please follow the instructions found in https://github.com/ostroproject/ostro-os-xt?

Please try them and let us know if you find any issues like the ones you mentioned in your original post.

Let us know how it goes.
          -Peter.

• 2. Re: Build Joule OS
            kinghiswa

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the prompt response. I ran through the non-docker instructions and have been unable to get through building the image. The first time I attempted the build, it ended in error with the following task failures:

/data/embedded/joule/ostro/ostro-os-xt/ostro-os/meta-soletta/recipes-soletta/soletta/soletta_git.bb:do_compile

/data/embedded/joule/ostro/ostro-os-xt/ostro-os/../meta-ostro-xt/recipes-devtools/xdk-daemon/xdk-daemon_0.1.5.bb:do_compile

/data/embedded/joule/ostro/ostro-os-xt/ostro-os/meta-iot-web/recipes-web/iotivity-node/iotivity-node_1.1.0-4.bb:do_compile

I re-ran it again which ended with the following task failures:

/data/embedded/joule/ostro/ostro-os-xt/ostro-os/meta-java/recipes-core/openjdk/openjdk-8-native_72b05.bb:do_compile

/data/embedded/joule/ostro/ostro-os-xt/ostro-os/meta-iot-web/recipes-web/iotivity-node/iotivity-node_1.1.0-4.bb:do_compile

Then a third time (from which I cannot get past):

/data/embedded/joule/ostro/ostro-os-xt/ostro-os/meta-java/recipes-core/openjdk/openjdk-8-native_72b05.bb:do_compile

I see you recommend using the docker image, however my end objective is to retarget a different yocto build to the Joule (or just add the necessary OE layers into a successful ostro build) and it is not apparent if/how I can do that with the docker method. If there is a guide to that I would be open to moving that direction.

I am building on an up-to-date Ubuntu 16.04-1 system that has worked for other OE builds and can provide additional debugging information if that would be helpful.

Thanks,

-k

• 3. Re: Build Joule OS
              Intel Corporation

Hi kinghiswa,

Could you please post the steps you took here? I know you followed the instructions on the link I posted above but I'd like to see if I can replicate the behavior you mentioned and I want to make sure I'm following the right procedure.

Let me know.
              -Peter.

• 4. Re: Build Joule OS
                kinghiswa

Peter,

The system already had tools for openembedded builds installed via apt-get; what I did was:

mkdir -p /data/embedded/joule/ostro/ostro-os-xt

export WORKSPACE=$(pwd)

git clone --recursive https://github.com/ostroproject/ostro-os-xt .

source ostro-init-build-env

vi conf/local.conf # <<<<< Uncomment line 292 (#require conf/distro/include/ostro-os-development.inc) - if you maintain this layer/repo you might want to add this to the required steps

bitbake ostro-xt-image-noswupd

And away it went.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Build Joule OS
                  Intel Corporation

Hi kinghiswa,

I tried to build Ostro's image using the non-Docker method and the steps you posted above but I was not able to do so. Nevertheless, the Docker method did work.

I suggest you to follow the Docker instructions, is there a reason why you were building your image without Docker?

Let me know.

-Peter.

• 6. Re: Build Joule OS
                    kinghiswa

My end objective is to retarget a different yocto build to the Joule (or just add the necessary OE layers into a successful ostro build) and it is not apparent if/how I can do that with the docker method. If there is a guide to that it would be helpful.

I also have not been able to try that due to corporate proxy issues and none of the steps listed on that page or the docker guide have been successful - this is likely a problem on my end though so I have not brought that up here.

• 7. Re: Build Joule OS
                      Intel Corporation

I understand your situation. I will try to see if I can find a way to build Joule's image without Docker. If I'm able to find useful information I will make sure to share it with you.

However, I would suggest you to try to find a way to use the Docker method as it has been proven to work.

-Peter.

• 8. Re: Build Joule OS
                        Intel Corporation

Hi kinghiswa,

I'd like to ask you the OS you are using when you try to build the image.

I'll be waiting for your reply.

-Peter

• 9. Re: Build Joule OS
                          kinghiswa

Peter,

I am using building on an up-to-date Ubuntu 16.04-1 system that has worked for other OE/Yocto builds.

Thanks

• 10. Re: Build Joule OS
                            Intel Corporation

Thank you for letting us know. 

We have been running some tests and after some issues at the beginning we were able to build Joule's image on Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 14.04 by following these instructions:

Ubuntu 14.04:

sudo apt-get update
                            sudo apt-get upgrade
                            sudo apt-get install texinfo gawk chrpath g++
                            export WORKSPACE=$HOME/work/ostro-os-xt
                            mkdir -p $WORKSPACE
                            cd $WORKSPACE
                            vi conf/local.conf //uncomment line 292

Ubuntu 16.04

sudo apt-get update
                            sudo apt-get upgrade
                            sudo apt-get install texinfo gawk chrpath
                            export WORKSPACE=$HOME/work/ostro-os-xt
                            mkdir -p $WORKSPACE
                            cd $WORKSPACE
                            vi conf/local.conf //uncomment line 292

Could you please try with these steps? Another thing that could be a factor on the building process is the hardware you are using, could you please let us know some details about your building environment?

We'll be waiting for your reply.
                            -Peter.

• 11. Re: Build Joule OS
                              kinghiswa

Peter,

Thank you for the assistance. These instructions again failed, but I am of the belief this is now proxy related on my end just like the Docker issues:

| gyp ERR! stack Error: unable to verify the first certificate

I don't think hardware is causing issues, but the build system is a Dell Precision 7910, two Xeon E5-2650s, 64 GB RAM. Anyway, I think at this point I need to go back to the network folks and get this dealt with on my end. I will let you know if I have any further non-network related issues.

• 12. Re: Build Joule OS
                                Intel Corporation

I understand, please keep us updated about your project and let us know if you have any further doubts. We'll try to help you in any way we can.

-Peter.