4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2016 12:40 PM by Intel Corporation

SSL via PuTTY

Matha

PuTTY:

• will connect from a desktop to an Edison board using Serial line under COMx at the matching speed.
      • will not connect using SSH.

Do I have to enable SSH explicitly via a command line operation in Edison? If yes, may I have the link to the documentation please. I thought that SSH was enabled implicitly during the wizard operations of the Intel Edison Board Configuration Tool (see attachment). Perhaps I am mistaken.

How to make PuTTY serve SSH session from desktop client to Edison "server" board? Thanks.

• 1. Re: SSL via PuTTY
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Matha,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Edison Platform.

Absolutely, the SSH was enabled during the process of changing password, when you ran the Intel Edison Board Configuration Tool. The SSH comes disabled, and when you setup a password for the root account, it will automatically enable SSH.

In order to connect your Desktop client to the Edison follow these steps:

1. Set up a password in the Edison (you already did this)
          2. Connect the Edison to Internet (you already did this during the Intel Edison Configuration tool)
          3. Open PuTTY, and put the Edison’s IP in the section “Host Name (or IP address)”, and then click Open to establish the SSH communication
          4. Login as root and then introduce the password setup in the previous steps.

Note: you can check the IP assigned to the Edison using this command ifconfig, make note of your wlan0 IP address, displayed next to inet addr.

Hope this information helps, however, if you have any questions, please let us know.

Regards,
          -Yermi

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SSL via PuTTY
            Matha

Thanks, Yermi.

Am I correct in understanding that the default SSH session will rely on the Wi-Fi connection (since you mention wlan0)? In other words, it is not possible to use the IP address available through the eth0 interface that exists too.

Regards.

• 3. Re: SSL via PuTTY
              Intel Corporation

Hi Matha,

We would like to clarify some aspects of your issue. When you refer to eth0, are you talking of your PC or you have any Ethernet adapter in your Edison? Also, we would like to suggest you take a look at this link Connecting to your Intel® Edison board using Ethernet over USB, there you can find the instructions to configure the Edison and use PuTTY to SSH.

Let us know if the above information helps or if you have any questions. We’ll be waiting for your reply.

Regards,
              -Yermi    

• 4. Re: SSL via PuTTY
                Intel Corporation

Hi Matha,

We would like to know if you have looked at the link provided in our last post, also, if you have any questions.

Regards,
                -Yermi