1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2017 10:41 AM by FGT

First IoT Project ever

ikhsanwijaya

so guys my name ikhsan rino wijaya. i'm working on my undergraduate thesis right now. my thesis is about IoT. i want to make oximetry monitoring device using Intel Gallileo Gen 2 that can be monitored from website . so  after i get the measurement of oximetry i want to send it to localhost web using internet connection automatically using iot principal. my question is , is this possible to do ? if possible what will i need ? so far i just prepare Intel Xdk, XAMPP and sublime for my project? is this enough ?  . and then if it's not possible what that should i do ? your help means a a lot for me guys. thanks anyway

• 1. Re: First IoT Project ever
          FGT

Hi ikhsanwijaya,

I think the first technical detail you should verify is whether the sensor you are going to use can be handled by Galileo. Details such as the web configuration is relatively easy, and will depend on the application complexity you are planning (e.g if that's a single page, you can handle web requests in the Galileo itself you do not need a computer).

HTH,

Fernando.

• 2. Re: First IoT Project ever
            ikhsanwijaya

hi fernando thanks for commenting my post, you are the only one who comment my post. i'm gonna gallileo just to control LED and infrared so that both of them can active alternately every 2ms and will be detected by photodiode. is it possibile doing that thing with gallileo using intel xdk ?

- i will put the voltage from photodiode in to analog pin, to process the data, then display the result in LCD and send the result to the web too.

- ya it's only single web, maybe only a little bit interface, the important thing is ,my data can be displayed on the web continuously.

-what do you think ? what kind application should i have to do my project ?

sorry if it's too long or there's something u can't understand,becaus i'm totally beginner hehe.

thank you very much FGT

• 3. Re: First IoT Project ever
              FGT

Hi ikhsanwijaya,

ikhsanwijaya wrote:

hi fernando thanks for commenting my post, you are the only one who comment my post. i'm gonna gallileo just to control LED and infrared so that both of them can active alternately every 2ms and will be detected by photodiode. is it possibile doing that thing with gallileo using intel xdk ?

- i will put the voltage from photodiode in to analog pin, to process the data, then display the result in LCD and send the result to the web too.

- ya it's only single web, maybe only a little bit interface, the important thing is ,my data can be displayed on the web continuously.

-what do you think ? what kind application should i have to do my project ?

sorry if it's too long or there's something u can't understand,becaus i'm totally beginner hehe.

thank you very much FGT

I mostly develop my applications using the Arduino IDE, so I will not be able to help too much in the XDK area. Maybe Intel people would be able on this.

No doubt you will be able to control a LED using Intel Galileo - XDK.

Controlling an infrared and a photodiode will depend on the specific modules you'll use, i.e. how those devices need to be controlled. Controlling and/or interfacing modules with real-time constraints will be hard to achieve in Intel Galileo, because yocto is not a real time OS and Intel Galileo I/O is not a fast one.

Simple web systems are easy to develop and maintain in Intel Galileo. I've made several using Arduino sketches, and I've posted some ideas at

Webserver Ethernet(Galileo) Ex., eglibc img., etc.

I've made some other simple web "systems" using direcly python (which is provided in yocto for SD), including some (simple) CGI processing. I think it should be the same using XDK, or maybe easier, due to the strong relationship between SDK and node. I don't know the specific details because as I "warned" above, I'm not an XDK developer.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 4. Re: First IoT Project ever
                ikhsanwijaya

i mean i'm not gonna control the led, infrared and  photodiode continuously , just sending the value that i get from photodiode  continuously to web, is it still possible ?

btw thanks a lot for your help , i really appreciate it . sorry maybe my question seems very unimportant or maybe too dumb. hehe FGT

• 5. Re: First IoT Project ever
                  FGT

btw thanks a lot for your help , i really appreciate it . sorry maybe my question seems very unimportant or maybe too dumb. hehe FGT

You're welcome. I don't think those are dumb questions.

i mean i'm not gonna control the led, infrared and photodiode continuously , just sending the value that i get from photodiode continuously to web, is it still possible ?

I was trying to explain that if you are able to control each one separately, then I don't think controlling all of them and having a simple web interface would be a problem. However, I do not know about infrared and photodiode control issues. I do not have experience with those devices and I don't have experience with XDK development. Do you have specific infrared and photodiode device models in mind?

Fernando.

• 6. Re: First IoT Project ever
                    ikhsanwijaya

2.PNG1.PNG

this is the design of sensor that i'm going make, and the other one is the block diagram about what i'm going to do. based on that block diagram i will control the timing of infrared and red LED then it will detected by photodiode. nah my idea is , i want to send  the value that i get from signal processing  to web continuously

if i programmed it with Arduino IDE, it's going to be easier or more difficult ?

FGT

• 7. Re: First IoT Project ever
                      FGT

ikhsanwijaya wrote:

2.PNG1.PNG

this is the design of sensor that i'm going make, and the other one is the block diagram about what i'm going to do. based on that block diagram i will control the timing of infrared and red LED then it will detected by photodiode. nah my idea is , i want to send the value that i get from signal processing to web continuously

if i programmed it with Arduino IDE, it's going to be easier or more difficult ?

FGT

I/O: Take into account Galileo limits. You can find some comments on digital pins at Timing - Comparison. I don't remember about analog readings max. frequency.

The Intel Galileo processing speed and web subsystem wouldn't be a problem.

I don't know if programming in the Arduino IDE would be easier, I know it would be easier for me, because I've worked in the Arduino IDE and I've made just a few experiments with/in XDK.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 8. Re: First IoT Project ever
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Ikhsan,

Did you try FGT suggestions? Do you still need help with this?

Let us know if you have updates about this. 

And thanks FGT, we really appreciate your help in the community.

Have a nice day.

Regards,  
                        -Leonardo

• 9. Re: First IoT Project ever
                          FGT

Intel Corporation wrote:

And thanks FGT, we really appreciate your help in the community.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                          -Leonardo

Hi Leonardo,

You are welcome,

Fernando.

• 10. Re: First IoT Project ever
                            ikhsanwijaya

Hi Leonardo thanks for giving a comment to my problem. so based on fernando explanation , i know that i can control Timing of LED and Infrared using Intel Galilleo and Intel XDK. but actually i'm still confused how to send the value that i get continuously to web.

i'm gonna write down what i do think i need for this project , please correct me if there's something missing or incorrect.

1. i'm using windows 10. is it okay using windows if i will code galilleo with intel XDK?

2. i'm using intel XDK

3. my plan is to send value to the local host web continuously, is it possible ?

4. application that i've already prepared are XAMPP and sublime , is there anything else that i will need ?

5. to send value to the localhost web i use wireless modul .

so maybe this is about what i'm going to make. i hope you can guide me on what should  i do or what kind application should i have. hopefully you can guide me to finish this project especially on sending value to the web . do you know where i can learn about sending data to web continuously? or learning IOT for begineer using intel XDK?

i think that's all my question, thank you. i really really appreciate your help. thank you very much once again - ikhsan  

• 11. Re: First IoT Project ever
                              Intel Corporation
                              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Ikhsan,

I have to say that this is an interesting project, I will do my best to help you.

I think that there is no problem using Intel® XDK in Windows 10 to program your Galileo, about the Web Server I think that you shouldn't have problems sending data, but it all depends how you program it. All that I can do for now is recommend some links to help you with Intel XDK:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/lp-xdk-iot
                              https://software.intel.com/en-us/developing-iot-projects-with-intel-xdk

I really wish you the best in your project, and I encourage you to continue with this excellent project using the Galileo platform, and don't give up. 

Don't doubt to post here if you still have questions.

Have a nice day.

Regards,  
                              -Leonardo

• 12. Re: First IoT Project ever
                                ikhsanwijaya

thank you very much for your help, i really appreciate that.

• 13. Re: First IoT Project ever
                                  ikhsanwijaya

FGT hi fernando it's me again, i want ask about the installation of galileo board on my pc. if i want to develop the galileo with intel XDK , is the installation the same with  developing it with arduino ? if both are difference could show me where can i find the step of installing galileo for XDK. thank you very much.

• 14. Re: First IoT Project ever
                                    ikhsanwijaya

FGT if don't mind i want to ask again . btw just ignore my last question because  i already install galileo in my comp.

my question is about developing IoT and galilei using Arduino IDE. my friend told me that if develop galileo using arduino ide , everytime i plug the supply off ,the code will disappear, then i have to reprogram it.  i already try it , i upload blink examples to galileo and then plug the supply off, after i put the supply back the LED wasn't blinking anymore. so if have solution for this case ? thank you very much

1 2 Previous Next