2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2016 12:59 PM by Intel Corporation

Desktop Boards vs Server Boards

zangxuma

I'm getting ready to put together a server for a VERY small office (of only 3 computers). They will be mostly hosting Quickbooks files and some other software over the network on it. 1 of the systems will be in another city about 300 miles away which will be connected via a hardware VPN. I've never really dabbled with server motherboards, but in the past they seemed to serve a much more useful role. Back in the day a server board gave way to optimized drivers, chipsets, ECC, RAID and of course for the higher end, a second socket for dual processors. But when looking at it these days, it seems almost pointless to purchase a server board/chipset unless your going to be slapping a Xeon or Opteron in it. Is this for the most part a fair assessment or am I missing something? I realize that if your servicing a network with a good number of users and load that a server specific CPU may be a must, but in this case it just plain out isn't. may tinh choi game, lap phong game, mo phong net, lắp đặt phòng net trọn gói, tu van mo phong game http://vnco.net triet ly phat giao máy lọc kangaroo thuốc lá điện tử chính hãng http://onebetech.vn

I'm thinking that either a little i3-2120 should cut it, or maybe... an i5 just to give them a little room to grow. Due to all of the talk about bulldozer being "really a server chip", and the fact that its supports ECC ram, is this something to consider over an Intel setup? This customer really wants to pinch a penny and find a nickle.

• 1. Re: Desktop Boards vs Server Boards
          Al Hill

I did a system for a friend.  The server is an IBM ThinkCentre M71e with a G630 processor (2.7Ghz). 

There are three desktops running QB Pro 2016.  The server runs the database.  The server also hosts an app that manages a database for 15 other desktops.

There is one laptop that uses Remote Desktop to get to one of the desktops to run QB.

All run Windows 7 64-bit.

All PCs and server are non-ecc.

This system has been running for years (with updates to QB along the way).

All works fine (as long as you do not use an anti-malware product that begins with AVA**)

It is an uncomplicated system, works well, and requires minimal maintenance.

Doc

• 2. Re: Desktop Boards vs Server Boards
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello angxuma,

A small business might be tempted to save time and money by simply running a server operating system on a desktop computer, but this isn't a replacement for a real server.

This depends of exactly what they need this system for, Server systems with Xeon processor are rated to run for longer periods at 100% sustained loads, whereas desktop parts are rated for less.

Server CPUs frequently have more cores than desktop CPUs, since server workloads are much more multithreaded than most desktop workloads, this is in case they need to run heavy applications at all times.

Server motherboards are built for reliability and stability, not for flashiness. They have unadorned heatsinks and have absolutely no overclocking options whatsoever and server systems would also cost more.

Before investing in server hardware, you must consider the applications, storage, processor, form factor, and more to help you choose wisely.

Regards,

Ivan