Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

My I7-6700k was running cool and now the Max Core Frequency changes constantly

JJaco7
Beginner

Now all the sudden the Max Core Frequency drops down way lower than it use to (even to 2Ghz) and when it rises up to 4-4.2Ghz I get temp spikes to around 50 then immediately back down. Why is the core frequency all of the sudden dropping down so low and popping back up to 4. From what I can remember it normally stayed around 4 and I didn't have these spikes in heat. The whole time I've had this computer, normal operation never made the cores jump to 50 but I also never use to see it downclock to 2.86Ghz and jump back up and violently change going up and down constantly. Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JJaco7
Beginner

Yeah, I've been watching it. When it jumps up to 3.95-4.20ghz. For that second that it jumps, is when the temperature spike happens, but will instantaneous jump back down. So it goes from like 2ghz, to 4.X, hits 53C, 1ms later 28C.. Wtf? How could something cool in 1ms.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KeanuReeves,

Where are you checking those parameters?

Could you please provide more information in regard to your system? Use this tool in order to gather all the information https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, once you have the report attach it.

What tasks/activities are you running? Are you playing games or running an intensive CPU software?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JJaco7
Beginner

I am viewing this information from the Intel-XTU and I am sitting idle at desktop with nothing running. I just played a game and I dont think the cores ever got beyond 40c. The highest maximum package temperature so far this boot was 59C but I saw that number before game play.

0 Kudos
JJaco7
Beginner

The Max Core frequency changes every single second on the dot. Is this normal? I know its suppose to modulate but what is the point of changing to 75 different frequencies. I really don't remember it changing this much before enabling the Intel XMP. Which I had to do because my system was freezing from my ram not running at the right frequency

0 Kudos
JJaco7
Beginner

I just ran the XTU stress test for a minute and it wouldn't get past 63C.. So I guess that's normal. Do you know at what temperature the i7-6700k will begin to take any degree of damage at? I hear all sorts of different things. Should I be hitting 63C during a stress test and what is the normal temp during a stress. Sorry for the wide range of questions.

0 Kudos
JJaco7
Beginner

Your program you had me download said my chip is running at 1.9v.. Isn't that too high?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The first thing to do here is to load the default settings from your BIOS configuration, the next thing I would recommend is updating your BIOS to the latest version which you can find here http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5481# bios GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1151 - GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0).

Back to your questions;

"I just ran the XTU stress test for a minute and it wouldn't get past 63C.. So I guess that's normal. Do you know at what temperature the i7-6700k will begin to take any degree of damage at? I hear all sorts of different things. Should I be hitting 63C during a stress test and what is the normal temp during a stress. Sorry for the wide range of questions."

This is your processor http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz) Specifications which has a TCASE of 64°C, so any parameter under that number is expected especially if the CPU is under stress. 63°C during stress tests is normal, if you processor goes up a little bit higher than that it will be fine as long as your system does not crash or freeze.

"The Max Core frequency changes every single second on the dot. Is this normal? I know its suppose to modulate but what is the point of changing to 75 different frequencies. I really don't remember it changing this much before enabling the Intel XMP. Which I had to do because my system was freezing from my ram not running at the right frequency"

The Max Turbo Frequency of your processor is 4.20 GHz, your processor will change from one frequency to another frequency depending on the task/activities and the background processes that you are running. Running a game will definitely make your processor to go up. Now, I believe that this might be related to the memory change you made.

"Your program you had me download said my chip is running at 1.9v.. Isn't that too high?"

Yes, that is to high, it is supposed to be @1.2v for DDR4 and @ 1.35v DDR3L. Bear in mind that this is the memory specification for your processor; DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V. Make sure that you have that specification.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JJaco7
Beginner

Thanks Amy, Interestingly enough CPU-Z does not read anywhere close to 1.9v for the core. It goes from .8 and ranges to a max of 1.35v, so I believe the intel software is wrong because I can watch the voltage change in real time with CPU-Z. Also my memory is DDR4-2400, which I was told was fine as long as I had the XMP setting turned on. I do suffer from random freezing. I am trying to disable the C-States as many people claim doing so stopped their freezing. My drivers and bios are already fully upgraded. Here's one example of people's logic about the ram speeds "ram speed is more dependent on the motherboard. Z170 motherboards supports speed over 3000 while H170 only supports speed up to 2133. The problem is the voltages and locked cpu, but if you have an unlocked cpu and a motherboard that supports speeds over 2133 you wont have a problem. That said, the slowest speed of ram I would go with an unlocked cpu and Z170 mobo would be 2400. So the corsair 2400 is a good choice!!"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I understand; however, changing the memory frequencies and voltages is considered overclocking. Intel does not provide overclocking information, this is out of scope of support.

The core voltage for your processor is 1.47v minimum and 1.85v maximum, see table 5-10 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-i7-6xxx-lga2011-v3-datasheet-vol-1.html Datasheet, Vol. 1: Intel® Core™ i7 Processor for LGA2011-v3 Socket.

Bear in mind that the memory controller is located in the processor, so the issue you are experiencing could be related to the memory that you are currently using, and my recommendation would be setting your BIOS configuration to defaults and running the memory to the specification.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos