3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 1:43 PM by Intel Corporation

i7 vs Xeon E3 or E5 for HP zBook G3

postwrtr

Specifically for CAM and CAD complex Engineering Models and CNC Programing? Must be vPro Compat. and use smart cache or L3? I have benched Z800 with 2 quad Xeons against i7 first gen and beat the Xeon processors. I am looking for some specific applied knowledge about which one to get next for running CAM mostly?

less cores with higher speed can be better sometime but other times more cores is better it is algorithm specific so I am looking for a balance,  the Xeon's ability to have more RAM served no purpose for some functions within the CAM software but for other functions it could make a difference.

I am looking to pack as much into the zBook 15 or possibly the 17 as will fit in it.  So just though I would see what the experts have to say.

I am heavily governed by large corporate IT so please don't waste your resources with discussions on over clocking or anything like internal tweaking because that will not be a path I could consider.

Thanks

• 1. Re: i7 vs Xeon E3 or E5 for HP zBook G3
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Please bear in mind that Intel does not provide this type of comparison information, this is because Intel does not compare which processor is better, they all were designed with different technologies. Intel could help comparing processor features. 
          http://ark.intel.com
          There you can compare features and technologies. 

Allan.

• 2. Re: i7 vs Xeon E3 or E5 for HP zBook G3
            postwrtr

Perhaps my wording of the question is incorrect,  does not Intel recommend their vast array of chip technologies to suit a certain environment better than any other they might make?  It seems that if that is not the case then one would have to become an expert on all of those differences in technologies you speak.

All I was hoping for was to have a technical conversation about the differences between the two chips and how they would perform under the various requests I ask of them while running my software.

• 3. Re: i7 vs Xeon E3 or E5 for HP zBook G3
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Do not get me wrong on my previous interaction. I understood your inquiry. The issue here is that Intel does not provide information about what processor is better than others. This is because they all have different technologies and were manufactured for different market segments. 
              For instance, you can have an Intel® Core processor or Intel® Xeon running heavy applications with excellent performance but this will work depending on the type of memory, motherboard quality, hard drive speed or even the type. You will not get same performance using mechanical drives compared to SSD drives. 

Intel can only compare processor features on ark.intel.com. For system requirements and performance information would be better if you contact the software developer. 

Allan.