1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2016 5:47 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7KYK with coil whine noise

bitCodeMan

Hello,

I bought a NUC for my work (software development).

The noise starts after the end of the POST (BIOS). In other words, when you enter the operating system.

Inside the BIOS UI there is no noise.

I've done the following tests:

• A module of RAM at a time
      • Without the SSD. Using live boot of Ubuntu

In both cases the problem persists.

I used power outlets of different buildings. Without success.

That noise is driving me crazy. I can't work.

The BIOS is the latest version: 0042 - KYSKLi70.86A.0042.2016.0929.1933

What I can do to solve the coil whine noise?

PLEASE, HELP!

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK with coil whine noise
          Loeschzwerg

I guess the problem does have something to do with the power/clock management (voltage regulation). Try to set the NUC to "Max Performance" in BIOS/UEFI on the power settings menu (Advanced -> Power).

If you do not require the processor to "boost", disable the "Turbo Boost" option in BIOS (Advanced -> Performance -> Processor)

The coil-whine is caused by stress on the voltage regulation... Undervolting could soften the stress. I was able to run my NUC6i7KYK stable with -100mV offset.

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK with coil whine noise
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to Loeschzwerg for the comments posted above.

To bitCodeMan:

Even though the problem does not seemed to be related to the operating system, I just wanted to let you know that Intel does not test and validate Intel® NUC on Linux; however we know that a lot of NUC owners are using it successfully on many different Linux distros.

At this point you basically tried almost all the troubleshoot steps that we recommend to do, it is kind of strange that there is no noise on the BIOS but if you use it without SSD the problem remains, based on that, this could be a problem with the NUC itself. Remember that the NUC has 3 years of warranty.

Just for testing purposes do you have the option to test it with a different SSD, maybe with Windows as operating system?

Do you have the option to test it with a different RAM kit?

If you are interested in the replacement of the NUC then you can always check with the place of purchase to verify if they can do that, or we can always replace it for you.

To do that, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select processor on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@12

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK with coil whine noise
              bitCodeMan

Hello,

Thank Loeschzwerg and Alberto for the comment.

Loeschzwerg:

• I did what you said (disable turbo boost and undervolt to -100 mV). But the coil whine insist continues with the same intensity.
              • Do you know another trick to kill this noise?

Alberto:

• I have used the Linux one time only for test purpose. To work I use Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
                • The coil whine are present in both O.S.
              • The NUC have two RAM modules. I tested with each separately.
                • Unfortunately, I don't have any other DDR type different to test
              • On heavy CPU load the coil whine stops
              • RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz Kingston
              • SSD: Samsung 950 PRO
              • A replacement of the NUC. The second unit arrived yesterday (2016-10-20) and presents the same problem

Best regards

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK with coil whine noise
                Intel Corporation

Hello bitCodeMan:

Thank you very much for providing that information.

In this case, the next thing that we will try to do will be to try to replicate the issue, we are going to use the NUC6i7KYK that we have in our lab to do so.

As soon as I get any results, I will post all the details on this thread.

Alberto

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK with coil whine noise
                  Intel Corporation

Hello bitCodeMan::

I just wanted to let you know that we are still working and doing an investigation and trying to replicate the issue, in order to try to find a possible solution for this problem.

As soon as I get any results, I will post all the details on this thread.

Alberto

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK with coil whine noise
                    bitCodeMan

Hello Alberto

Thanks for the attention.

I'll waiting for the result of the investigation.

Many thanks for this.

Regards,

Adriel

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK with coil whine noise
                      Intel Corporation

Hello bitCodeMan:

You are welcome, I will post all the details on this thread as soon as we get any updates.

Alberto

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK with coil whine noise
                        Intel Corporation

Hello bitCodeMan:

I just wanted to let you know that we tried to replicate the issue, using the Intel® NUC6i7KYK, with BIOS versions 0041 and 0042 and there was no coil sound coming from the NUC on post or in boot, the NUC boot to Windows just fine without any coil sound, we also tried drivers 4501 and Beta 4539.

Do you have the option to test the NUC with a different SSD?

Just for testing purposes, did you test the NUC just with on memory stick?

Do you have the option to use a different memory kit?

Alberto

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK with coil whine noise
                          DN.DN

Hello.

I think i have similar case... NUC just buzzes, very loud if you use 3d graphic (eg. some game) I think it's just "feature" of it.

I tried out to solve it some time ago, the buzzing is so annoying, especially if u want to play a bit in night hours.

I have 2 pieces of NUC5i7RYH, one of them is in fanless case from AKASA, on this one the buzzing noise is _very_ annoying, in ordinary Intel's case fan is loud enough (on hight RPM) to cover NUC's buzzing

So what I did:

1) I tested HDD. I connected HDD through 50cm long cable and put it outside case.., buzzing comes from case not from hdd

2) Just in case I replaced Samsung EVO SSD with KIngston's Hyperx Furry... on Kingston the buzzing was the same.. loud and annoying

3) I replaced Crucial RAM with Kingston... buzzing remains

4) I replaced thermal paste and thermal pad, tested a few times with different brands... same buzzing

5) I disconnected all external devices (even monitor) and cables (but power supply) ... buzzing remains

6) I tested BIOS setting ON/OFF "green" functions, and overcloking/voltage setting.. same buzzing

7) Tested on last BIOS 2xx (best for linux bios) and on brand new ones 3xx (atm I'm on last version of BIOS)

8) I have REPLACED main board! I took MB from my 2nd NUC.... and... buzzing remains!

9) I give up... so it must be a "feature"...

Tested on Linux Debian (stable), Windows 7, Windows 10 (with all fixes),

On linux NUC perform better, less buzzing, Windows buzzes more :/

When it buzzes:

1) After BIOS phase, you can hear, when hdd works (but it's SSD! Samsung, Kingston tested)

2) Very, very loud buzzing when you run 3D game (tested on WoW Legion, I know NUC it's not play station ;)... but I got 40fps! on "3" setting quality). 3D stress make it extremely loud!!!

3) When you scroll web page up and down in browser (you can her it at night hours)

"buzzing" - it must be a "feature" of this hardware... replacing parts, bios, bios settings, operation system is not helping.

So far I find out only one working work arround..... good, comfortable hedset and listening online radio or some music :/

Or use loud case... so buzzing will be obscured by cooler's fan

Best regards.

D.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: NUC6i7KYK with coil whine noise
                            Intel Corporation

Hello DN.DN:

Thank you very much sharing that information, it will be very useful to all the peers viewing this thread.

At this point pretty much you tried all the troubleshoot steps that we recommend, and I just wanted to let you know that the NUC has 3 years of warranty, so we can always replace it for you, because it does not supposed to have that noise.

If you are interested in the replacement, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select NUC on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@12

Alberto

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KYK with coil whine noise
                              OEFVet

I have not heard coil whine since the Nvidia Geforce came out in the late 1990s. Could you get this on video?

• 12. Re: NUC6i7KYK with coil whine noise
                                DN.DN

Just uploaded.

Intel NUC 5i7RYH buzzing under 3D stress - YouTube

By accident I found this video today... I wrote about it ealier, buzzing while scrolling web page in browser.

Ticking / crackling noise recorded from NUC5i7RYH unit when scrolling - YouTube  (not my movie)

D.

btw. I don't say it's coil ... I say it buzzing...

• 13. Re: NUC6i7KYK with coil whine noise
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello DN.DN:

Thank you very much once again for providing those videos.

According to the information we have, there should not be any buzzing or coil sound coming from the NUC, that is why if the NUC is still under warranty we can always replace the NUC for you, I just wanted to let you know you have that option.

Regards

Alberto

• 14. Re: NUC6i7KYK with coil whine noise
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello bitCodeMan:

I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously, and if you have the options to use a different SSD and a different memory kit with the NUC?

Alberto

1 2 Previous Next