1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2017 8:32 AM by rockmeister64

NUC muted after turn on receiver

rockmeister64

Hi

My setup is as follows

NUC D54250WYKH1 running Windows 8.1 Pro with latest NUC drivers and windows update (I recently upgarded all the drives to see if that would solve the issue)

NUC is connected to Onkyo TX-NR525 on the PC (HDMI) input, The HDMI output goes to Vizio E601i-A3 TV.

The NUC is always on.  Using the Harmony 650 remote, to watch TV, I turn on the receiver  followed by the TV.  Sometimes NUC is muted and I have to unmute it for the sound to come through.

Any solution to this problem?

Thanks
      Rockmeister64

• 1. Re: NUC muted after turn on receiver
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

I cannot find reports of similar issues with the Intel® NUC D54250WYKH and the Harmony 650 remote.
          Have you tried checking the Logitech forums? They may have troubleshooting information or known issues about this matter.
          https://community.logitech.com/s/topic/0TO31000000UKNpGAO/remotes-and-smart-home

Allan.

• 2. Re: NUC muted after turn on receiver
            N.Scott.Pearson

I too have a D54250WYKH NUC in my home theater setup (topography: NUC -> Onkyo TX-NR616 -> Samsung TV). The NUC is always powered on and sleep is disabled. In this configuration, it has always worked perfectly and is always there and working properly when it is selected (and I have never seen it be muted).

[Aside: I wish I could say the same about my InfiniTV Network Tuner box; I have to reboot any PC that is using it whenever the network is reset - which seems to happen every few days with the aged FIOS router that I have].

The two major differences between my configuration and Ramana's are as follows:

1. I am not using a Harmony remote. I suggest that you set the Harmony remote aside for the moment and perform the same operations using the remotes that came with the TV, Receiver, etc. If you still see the mute happening, you will have eliminated the Harmony as the culprit.
            2. I am running 64-bit Windows 7. For Windows 7, the latest available Intel HD Graphics driver package for 4th generation Core processors that I could find (and actually use) was v15.36.31.4414. For Windows 10, on the other hand, v15.40.28.4501 is available (though the last I actually tested is v15.40.25.4463). Since HD audio is a part of the graphics driver package, this could be a factor (though I would have thought it one in the opposite direction).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 3. Re: NUC muted after turn on receiver
              rockmeister64

OK.  I tried multiple things and nothing has solved the problem

(1) Put away the Logitech harmony remote.  I still have the issue.

(2) I notice that sometimes the speaker on the NUC is muted and I have to unmute it and other times the audio device (TX-NR525) itself is missing and I have to go to device manager and do "scan for hardware changes" or just reboot the NUC to fix the problem.

This issue it quick turning WAF to WRF(Wife Rejection Factor) :-(

Please help

Rockmeister64

• 4. Re: NUC muted after turn on receiver
                N.Scott.Pearson

Hhmmm... Have you tried using premium quality, HDMI 1.4a (or better 2.0) compliant cables? (Sorry, running out of things to suggest)

...S

• 5. Re: NUC muted after turn on receiver
                  Intel Corporation

Were you able to test different cables?

Allan.

• 6. Re: NUC muted after turn on receiver
                    rockmeister64

I tested with a couple of cables and still no luck. Lastly, I ordered and put a  brand new AmazonBasics High-Speed Mini-HDMI to HDMI Cable and I still get the same problem.  Sometimes the speaker on the NUC is muted and I have to unmute it and other times the audio device (TX-NR525) itself is missing and I have to go to device manager and do "scan for hardware changes" or just reboot the NUC to fix the problem.

As a comparison, I have a Amazon Fire Stick and ChromeCast(V1) connected to the same receiver and I don't have the muting issue on them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rockmeister64

• 7. Re: NUC muted after turn on receiver
                      Intel Corporation

Hi,
                      Please confirm if you are currently running graphics drivers version 4501?

Allan.

• 8. Re: NUC muted after turn on receiver
                        rockmeister64

Alan

question.  Where can I look for, to see the current versions?

The link that you pointed me to was for Windows 10.  I am running on Windows 8.1.  Will the driver you linked work on Windows 8.1?

When I look up at Device Manager-> Display Adapters properties, I have

HD Graphics 5000

Driver Date: 11/20/2015

Driver Version: 10.18.14.4332

I am almost certain that I had installed the latest available driver "GFX_Win7_8.1_64_15.36.28.4332.zip" that the Intel Driver Update utility recommenced.

Let me know how to proceed.

Thanks

Rockmeister64

• 9. Re: NUC muted after turn on receiver
                          N.Scott.Pearson

In the case of the graphics driver, you cannot. The HD Graphics driver package contains two drivers, that for HD Graphics and that for the (HDMI/DP) HD Audio. Since either (or both) of these drivers might be updated in any particular package release, the version number of the package must be maintained independent of the version numbers for either driver. Bottom line, download and install the latest available package on the web site. If a later (newer) driver has been installed via Windows Update, you will be informed of this fact when you attempt to install the package. Since the version that is on the Download Center website is the one that has been properly validated with the NUC in question, it is recommended that you use this version - unless you absolutely need a newer version that provides a fix for a particular issue that you have encountered.

I have to say it (whether Intel likes it or not), the Intel Driver Update Utility is buggy and cannot be trusted to do the right thing. The only way to be absolutely sure is to download and manually install driver packages from the Download Center website.

...S

P.S. For 4th generation Core processors, the latest available graphics driver package that I could find for Windows 8.1 is 15.36.28.4332.

• 10. Re: NUC muted after turn on receiver
                            rockmeister64

N.Scott.Pearson

Thanks for confirming.  Just to be sure, I have gone back and re-installed 15.36.28.4332 by downloading the zip file, extracting and running setup.

Rockmeister64

• 11. Re: NUC muted after turn on receiver
                              rockmeister64

Alan

Any thoughts?  Can you let me know of any other things to try...

Rockmeister64

• 12. Re: NUC muted after turn on receiver
                                Intel Corporation

I just checked and confirmed graphics driver should be 4332, that will be the latest version for your on-board graphics solution.
                                You could also try updating to the latest BIOS, this was released couple of weeks ago

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26503/BIOS-Update-WYLPT10H-86A-?product=81164

BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Allan.

• 13. Re: NUC muted after turn on receiver
                                  Intel Corporation

Was BIOS Version: 0044 updated?

Allan.

• 14. Re: NUC muted after turn on receiver
                                    rockmeister64

Yes.  I have updated the BIOS to 0044.  I still get the speaker being muted and have to use the keyboard to un-mute it.

The second, in-frequent issue where the audio device (TX-NR525) itself is missing hasn't happened since the BIOS update.

Thanks

Rockmeister64

1 2 Previous Next