1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 5:59 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i5SYH running W 10 ver. 1607 Build 14393.321 loses Audio after Monitor sleeps.

six-h

I'm Using the PC with an Asus MX279H 27 inch Widescreen AH-IPS Multimedia Monitor which has inbuilt speakers.

Prior to the "Anniversary update" of Windows 10, all was well.

Now when waking the monitor after a period of inactivity with either a mouse movement or keystroke, the Speaker icon in the taskbar has a red dot next to it with a white "x" in it.

Clicking the icon results in a Windows (I presume) "trouble shooter" which eventually tells me the speakers are not connected!

The only way to regain sound is to re-boot the machine.

Checking "Device Mgr." I find a cryptic message, ending similar to "gobldy-gobldy-**** ...Status: 0x0" as per attachments.

Does this hold the key to my problem?

Edit:

Just found out that when the PC has gone to sleep, ie. it requires the power button to be presses to wake it, the sound returns just fine!

It's just a bit of a nuisance, can it be sorted?

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYH running W 10 ver. 1607 Build 14393.321 loses Audio after Monitor sleeps.
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello six-h:

Actually the sound should be active regardless of the key you use to wake the NUC up, you can set the NUC to go to sleep mode or hibernation and the sound should be active when you wake it up.

As you mentioned above, since the problem started after the Windows anniversary update, the reason might be that a different graphics driver got installed, and that is why it is not working as it used to.

The NUC works with Intel® Iris™ Graphics 540, on the following link you will find the latest version for the graphics driver for that controller, please install it:

Driver 4501:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26260/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-for-Intel-NUC-Kits-NUC6i-x-SY?product=89190

If the problem remains after installing the driver above, the you can try this Beta driver, it is 4539:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26347/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88358

Also, if you make it work properly again, the option to disable Window updates might be a good thing to do:

Get into "control panel"
          Look for "system and security"
          Then "administrative tools"
          Then "services"
          Look for "windows updates" and select it, then look for "startup type" and disable it.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYH running W 10 ver. 1607 Build 14393.321 loses Audio after Monitor sleeps.
            six-h

Hi Alberto,

Intel Corporation wrote:

Actually the sound should be active regardless of the key you use to wake the NUC up, you can set the NUC to go to sleep mode or hibernation and the sound should be active when you wake it up

Think there is some confusion here.

When the monitor goes to sleep, I agree, any keystroke or mouse click/movement will wake it.

In my experience, this is the most likely time that I would find myself without sound.

If, however the PC goes to sleep, the only thing that will wake it is to press the power button.

So far, this has always brought back the errant sound!

That said, I have just had an instance where the sound just gave up whilst both PC and Monitor were awake, so it is not confined to those times that the monitor has taken a nap!

Regarding the drivers, Device manager tells me:-

The Intel(R) Display Audio Graphics driver is "8.20.0.922" dated 16th April 2016

The Realtek High Definition Audio driver is "6.0.1.7730" dated 26th April 2016

Opening the Intel HD Graphics control panel, I see it has acknowledged Windows 10 build 10.0.14393 has been installed, but it still seems to have the original driver listed; 20.19.15.4474

These all seem to be unchanged from the original install, does that sound right?

Concerning the installation of the new driver, do I just double click the ".exe" file to install it?

Might have been a bit previous with that question!

Once the zip folder eventually downloaded, attempts to extract it returned this message: Graphics Driver download.png

Strange, since it is said to be 38,928Kb in size.

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYH running W 10 ver. 1607 Build 14393.321 loses Audio after Monitor sleeps.
              N.Scott.Pearson

Geoff,

When the Anniversary Update is installed, one of its (unfortunately *many*) bugs is one that causes necessary driver files to be deleted or replaced with down-rev versions. It is thus recommended that, after installing this update, you should reinstall all driver packages.

Now, do not rely on the Intel Driver Update Utility to do the right thing; it won't. Instead, go to the Intel Download Center and download all packages for your NUC that are marked "Latest" and are for your version of Windows (i.e. 32- vs. 64-bit Windows 10). Here is a link to the downloads page for your NUC: Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH.

In most cases, you can simply run these packages and be done with it. Those provided as .EXE files can simply be double-clicked on and they will run. Those provided as .ZIP file must be unzipped to a temporary folder on your system drive and then run by clicking on the SETUP.EXE file extracted into this folder.  There are a few - the Consumer I/R driver, for example, that require you to uninstall the existing driver, reboot and then install the driver from the package. Usually, the driver package will tell you if this is necessary.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYH running W 10 ver. 1607 Build 14393.321 loses Audio after Monitor sleeps.
                six-h

Hi Scott! Nice to hear from you again, I hope you and yours are all well .

As always you have the comprehensive answer.

For my own clarity, I list below those drivers which were installed when you guided me with the initial build along with my queries/comments on the items listed in the link you gave me.

Original drivers, in the order in which you advised they were to be installed:
                A)  Chipset_Win7_8.1_10_10.1.1.18
                B)  LAN_Win10_64_20.7.1.exe. Ethernet LAN driver. 
                C) Wireless_18.40.0_PROSet64_Win10.exe. WiFi driver
                D) GFX_Win7_8.1_10_64_15.40.24.4454 Graphics driver and the HDMI and DisplayPort audio driver.
                E) BT_18.16.1_64_Win10.exe. Bluetooth driver
                F)  AUD_Win7_8.1_10_6.0.1.7730 Driver for front panel audio
                G) SerialIO_Win8.1_10_64_30.63.1603.05  SOC Serial I/O drivers.
                H) CIR_Win7_8_8.1_10_5.2.2.0_MCE  Consumer Infrared (CIR) driver. NOT INSTALLED

Questions re "Latest" driver updates.     (Numbered from the top of the page)

1) BIOS Update. Which one should I use? is it "SY0054.bio"
                2) Intel® Rapid Storage Technology for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i[x]SY (Both Files are needed) ...Do I require this?
                3) Intel® Chipset Device Software for Intel® NUC
                4) Realtek ALC* Audio Driver for Intel® NUC Kits
                5) Intel® Wireless Technology-Based Driver for Windows® 10 for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i[x]SY
                6) Intel® Remote Keyboard Host App    ...Presume not required as not initially installed.
                7) Intel® USB 3.0 Host Controller Adaptation Driver for Windows 8.1 ...Not relevant.
                8) Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8.1/10 
                9) Intel-Wireless-Technology-Based-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1  ...Not relevant.
                10)  Intel-Bluetooth-Technology-Based-Driver-for-Windows-7  ...Not relevant.
                11) Intel-USB-3-0-Device-Driver-for-Windows-7   ...Not relevant.
                12) Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility    ...Not relevant.
                13) Intel® Management Engine Consumer Driver for Intel® NUC   ...Do I require this?
                14) Intel Bluetooth* Technology-Based Driver for Windows* 10
                15) Intel-Wireless-Technology-Based-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kits-NUC6i-x-SY-and-NUC6i7KYK?product=89190 Link not valid 16) Intel® Software Guard Extensions Software for Intel® NUC  Do I require this?
                17) Intel-Management-Engine-Driver-1-5M-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC?product=89190   Link not valid
                18) Intel® Gigabit Network Connection Driver for Intel® NUC Kits ...Do I require this?
                19) Intel® Serial IO Driver for Intel® NUC6i[x]SY
                20) Intel® Ready Mode Technology for Intel® NUC Kits  ...Presume not required as not initially installed.

Could you confirm if I'm right in thinking the BIOS update option should be "SY0054.bio" and that these are the updates relevant to my machine:-     1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 14 and 19

I presume that the BIOS should be updated first, but is there a preferred order for doing the other updates?

I wouldn't want to mess up this machine.

It is absolutely marvellous, I am so pleased with it and really appreciate all your help in "getting me there"!

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYH running W 10 ver. 1607 Build 14393.321 loses Audio after Monitor sleeps.
                  N.Scott.Pearson
                  1. Yes, BIOS SY0054.BIO is the latest and I recommend that you install it. Instructions are here: BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC.
                  2. You want to install Driver packages 3, 4, 5, 8, 14, 18 and 19. None of the others are necessary.
                  3. No, there is no preferred order. I install all drivers without rebooting. I say not when it asked for a reboot and just go on to the next driver in the list. One reboot at the end when all are installed works fine.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 6. Re: NUC6i5SYH running W 10 ver. 1607 Build 14393.321 loses Audio after Monitor sleeps.
                    six-h

Thanks for confirming those Scott, and for clarifying that I also need the Gigabit Network connection driver as well.

As usual for me, things don't go as expected!

I thought I would install the BIOS Update first (SY0054.bio) but clicking on the downloaded file I'm asked "How do you want to open this file?" and I'm directed to look for an app on the App Store!

This is not how it's meant to be! lol.

Searching my machine for "Intel integrator Toolkit BIOS Installer" doesn't find it and directs me to the web!

What have I done wrong?

Maybe the BIOS on my machine should be updated via USB (the method that was used for the original install) ??

• 7. Re: NUC6i5SYH running W 10 ver. 1607 Build 14393.321 loses Audio after Monitor sleeps.
                      Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to N. Scoot Pearson for the information posted previously.

To six-h:

The option that we recommend to do a BIOS update is by using a USB, since it is most reliable.

On the following link you will find the instructions of how to do that, it is called the F7 method:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html

And just in case, here is the .BIO file that you need to do it to version 0054:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26337/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89190

Please let me know if the issue with the audio persists after trying the BIOS update and installing all the drivers.

Alberto

• 8. Re: NUC6i5SYH running W 10 ver. 1607 Build 14393.321 loses Audio after Monitor sleeps.
                        lw1948

If you wont to update bios using Express Bios update method (clicking on downloaded file from windows), you shell download SYSKLi35.86A.0054.EB.EXE file (rather then SY0054.bio) and then click on it. It works OK. The SY0054.bio is used for USB methods.

Note:

If your Intel NUC currently has BIOS version 0033, use the USB method.

• 9. Re: NUC6i5SYH running W 10 ver. 1607 Build 14393.321 loses Audio after Monitor sleeps.
                          six-h

Hi Alberto and lw1948, sorry for my late reply, for some reason gmail didn't automatically update my inbox until I manually refreshed it, ...I thought maybe you were all out on the town, after all it's Friday night and who stays home, only old gits like me!

Thanks for confirming that I was trying the wrong update method, I'll try using USB+F7.

However I'm a little unsure if I have downloaded the correct file in order to use that method; the label "Recovery BIOS Update SY0054.bio" confuses me!

If that's the right file, I'll prepare a USB stick tomorrow and do that update before attempting the drivers.

...Just a thought, I'm using a BT keyboard and mouse, will that function during all these changes, or should I resort to wired USB ones?

• 10. Re: NUC6i5SYH running W 10 ver. 1607 Build 14393.321 loses Audio after Monitor sleeps.
                            Intel Corporation

Hello six-h:

In regard to your inquiry, yes from the link above the correct .BIO file to use is the first file on the left: SY0054.bio, you just need to save that file in a USB flash drive, the USB should have only that file and it should be formatted in FAT32.

Also, it will be better to use the wired keyboard and mouse, since the Bluetooth ones might not work quick enough to use the F7 method.

Alberto

• 11. Re: NUC6i5SYH running W 10 ver. 1607 Build 14393.321 loses Audio after Monitor sleeps.
                              N.Scott.Pearson

Yea, it's really confusing that the site says "Recovery BIOS". There is no specific "Recovery BIOS" to download; in fact, every BIO file is a "Recovery BIOS".

You want to use the latest available file. Take the SY0054.BIO file and put it on a USB flash disk. Power on (or reset) the NUC with this USB flash disk plugged into one of the USB ports. When the splash screen appears, press the F7 key and then select this .BIO file. It will reboot, install the updated BIOS and then reboot again. You are good to go at this point...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 12. Re: NUC6i5SYH running W 10 ver. 1607 Build 14393.321 loses Audio after Monitor sleeps.
                                six-h

Thanks guys. That hit the spot.

Before updating all the drivers, I'll leave it a couple of hours to see if the sound survives a couple of cycles of "Monitor sleeps"!

• 13. Re: NUC6i5SYH running W 10 ver. 1607 Build 14393.321 loses Audio after Monitor sleeps.
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello six-h:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Perfect, go ahead and try that, it should work just fine now.

Alberto

• 14. Re: NUC6i5SYH running W 10 ver. 1607 Build 14393.321 loses Audio after Monitor sleeps.
                                    six-h

Hi Alberto, I just updated the BIOS Saturday, and the sound had behaved it's self through several "Sleeps" of both monitor and PC, ...until Monday afternoon when it once more began to vanish when the monitor was woken from sleep.

As before, it would re-appear normally if the PC had also slept.

So I guess that wasn't the solution.

I will at some point today update all the drivers, but would like reassurance that the "HD Graphics" driver I downloaded is infact OK.

The first attempt to download it stalled at18%, attempting to re-start it resulted in two downloads, both stalled at 18%.

Deleting those and starting over, the download again faltered at 18%, but continued quite soon after.

The resulting zip file was 38,928KB which extracted OK to a folder containing 544MB.

Does that sound right?

1 2 Previous Next