9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2016 9:26 PM by dougho

NUC5PPYH - Windows 10 - Slow performance after KB3194798

lemoicavalier

Morning all,

Have about 100 of this boxes deployed across multiple sites, quote a few machines are having issues with that patch.

What we're seeing is 100% CPU and/or Disk (SSD) usage. When we sort the Task Manager's processes by Disk, everything is using 0%... Similar when sorting by CPU.

Removing the patch fixes the slow performance, half of the time the issue returns after re-installing the patch. In those cases we "blacklist" that patch (As much as you can with Windows 10).

BIOS, they're all running the either the latest BIOS, or a BIOS no older than a few months.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues with that patch, or other Windows 10 cumulative patches?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: NUC5PPYH - Windows 10 - Slow performance after KB3194798
          N.Scott.Pearson

Yea, the Anniversary Update is an absolute disaster. There are a lot of systems (from Intel and otherwise) that are being totally bricked by this package...

...S

• 2. Re: NUC5PPYH - Windows 10 - Slow performance after KB3194798
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello lemoicavalier,

I regard to your concern, I would like to confirm if you have installed all the latest updates from Windows?

And if after you complete the installation I would like to know where are you seeing this slow performance and if it is possible for you to send a screenshot

I am looking forward to heard from you.

Regards,
            Angie

• 3. Re: NUC5PPYH - Windows 10 - Slow performance after KB3194798
              lemoicavalier

Hello Angie,

Yes, system is fully patched. We're also running the latest BIOS and drivers from your site. The system works fine as long as we don't install anything other than the anniversary update. The moment KB3194798 or newer gets deployed the SSD and/or CPU usage goes to 100%.

I don't currently have an example as already imaged all machines affected (And disabled Windows Updates for now). I'll prepare a system so you can see it in action.

As Scott mentioned on his reply, I doubt it's an issue with your hardware. I've encountered dozens of links of other people experiencing similar issues. Google

• 4. Re: NUC5PPYH - Windows 10 - Slow performance after KB3194798
                N.Scott.Pearson

It's important to reinstall all drivers. Do not use the IDUU utility; download and manually reinstall all drivers.

Best advice I can give...

...S

• 5. Re: NUC5PPYH - Windows 10 - Slow performance after KB3194798
                  lemoicavalier

Yep, always do. Thanks for the feedback.

And I did learn a long time ago not to trust the IDUU

• 6. Re: NUC5PPYH - Windows 10 - Slow performance after KB3194798
                    N.Scott.Pearson

Alex,

The issues related to the Anniversary Update and this Cumulative Update abound. I have no idea what is going on at Microsoft, but something is completely out of kilter. There's reports of BSOD's, 100% CPU usage, etc. and etc. I also found reports of issues specific to Avast! and McAfee (get patched versions if you use either of these). What a mess!

For the driver reinstall, there are two special cases: the Consumer I/R (CIR) driver and the Bluetooth driver. Uninstall the existing drivers for both, reboot and then install them again.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. I had sample Compute Sticks set up for testing. After the Anniversary Update installed and they were restarted, the FC and SC units wouldn't even POST (let alone boot). Only the CC unit is still alive; we'll see if it survives the latest updates (which are installing as we speak)...

• 7. Re: NUC5PPYH - Windows 10 - Slow performance after KB3194798
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Oops, forgot to mention. The problem (though not the only one) with IDUU is that, from its standpoint, the right drivers appear to be installed and thus nothing needs to be done. It simply cannot tell that there are problems with the driver installations as a result of the Updates.

...S

• 8. Re: NUC5PPYH - Windows 10 - Slow performance after KB3194798
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

N. Scott Pearson, thanks for your assistance

To: lemoicavalier

Hello lemoicavalier,

I would like to know if the information provided to you was able to solve your issue?

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

I am looking forward to heard from you.

Regards,
                        Angie.

• 9. Re: NUC5PPYH - Windows 10 - Slow performance after KB3194798
                          dougho

Not sure if this is your issue, but just in case...

It seems common that after some Windows Updates I see lots of CPU and disk usage for awhile, and in my experience such situation seems more obvious on Silvermont architecture systems like the Airmont in NUC5PPYH.  Instead of it just occurring on its own time (such as idle), I usually try to force such situation shortly after Windows Update by performing two actions: Control Panel-System Security-Admin Tools-Free up disk space where you then click the Clean up system files and be sure the entry for Windows Update is checked before pressing okay.  Then when that has finished (it may take half hour or so even with SSD), I then do System Security-Security Maintenance-Maintenance-Start maintenance (it may take half hour or so even with SSD, before the "Stop maintenance" turns back to Start maintenance).  Either of those may be the trigger busy CPU/disk situation, so it may not be absolutely necessary to do both - and whichever one you do first is probably the one which will take longer.  The "safer" thing to do is just the Start maintenance (skip Free up disk space unless it is something you understand and like).

If you are aware of that and have waited long enough after, of course there are various other reports out there - for example one talks about changing power management from balanced to high performance (and back), another talks about some AHCI Link Power Management setting, etc.