7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 10:17 AM by Intel Corporation

intermittent issue with infrared receiver...

Kwyjibo73

Hello,

I have an Intel NUC (D54250WYK) running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and has been working fine up until a month or so ago, and the issue is intermittent making it difficult to troubleshoot.

Every 2-3 times when the NUC wakes up, my remote control is no longer able to control the system. A simple reboot resolves the issue for a day or two, but then it comes back. One thing in particular that I found odd, is that the remote control is actually able to wake up the PC, but once Windows is up and running again it no longer accepts commands from the remote.  A further thing I noticed that even putting the NUC back to sleep, waking it up again will resolve the issue temporarily.

I've completely removed the drivers and reinstalled but it hasn't corrected the issue. And none of my searches so far have yielded any solution to fix the problem.

Some of the other standard things I've tried:

SFC - to scan/verify the Windows system files

Disk check

Virus scan

I was hoping to try using one of the restore points, but they unfortunately do not go back far enough to when this wasn't an issue.

• 1. Re: intermittent issue with infrared receiver...
          N.Scott.Pearson

Did anything specific - driver update, BIOS update, etc. - happen just prior to this issue appearing?

If any BIOS updates were installed, it is possible that the type of remote being supported was changed. Go into BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS) and verify that it is set correctly.

If any driver updates were installed, I would try reinstalling the CIR driver (download from Intel's site, NOT Windows Update!).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: intermittent issue with infrared receiver...
            Kwyjibo73

Thank you for the reply.

Nothing had been updated on the system besides the standard Windows updates, which could very likely be the cause of the problem.  As I mentioned, I had hoped to try to use one of the system Restore Points but unfortunately they do not go back before the issue started to occur.

I had thought about something in the BIOS may have inadvertently changed, but I couldn't see anything at all related the infrared component.  I did notice there was a newer BIOS version for the NUC, which I installed (this was after the issue started), but it did not correct the issue.

And I did try the CIR driver directly from Intel's site (and definitely not from Windows Update.  I have NEVER trusted the drivers from Windows Update).

The only option I have left is to try a reinstall of the OS itself.  Which I'm still hoping to avoid for such a minor annoyance.

Thanks again,

Greg

• 3. Re: intermittent issue with infrared receiver...
              N.Scott.Pearson

You need to uninstall the existing CIR driver, reboot and then install the CIR driver from the downloaded package. If you didn't do it that way, try again...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: intermittent issue with infrared receiver...
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello:

Thank you very much to N. Scott Pearson for information posted previously.

To Kwyjibo73:

To un-install the current CIR driver and install it again is actually the next thing to do, on the following link you will find the CIR driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24897/Infrared-Nuvoton-Consumer-Infrared-CIR-Driver-for-Windows-7-for-Intel-NUC?product=76977

Also, you mentioned you did the BIOS update to the latest version which is: 0042, just in case, on the link below you will find the instructions of how to do a BIOS update using the F7 method, and the .BIO file needed to do it, if that is the BIOS version currently installed, then you do not need to do it again:

Instructions to do a BIOS update using the F7 method:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html

.BIO file 0042:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26159/BIOS-Update-WYLPT10H-86A-?product=76977

Besides that, you also said that the problem started after the Windows updates, so, if you are able to make it work properly again, then to disable Windows updates might be a good thing to do, on the following link you will be able to see how to do that:

http://ccm.net/faq/15286-how-to-disable-updates-in-windows-7

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 5. Re: intermittent issue with infrared receiver...
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Kwyjibo73:

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you, and if the problem with the infrared still persists or if it was resolved?

Alberto

• 6. Re: intermittent issue with infrared receiver...
                    Kwyjibo73

Thanks for both your replies.

Since my original post the infrared receiver has been behaving itself, even though I haven't made any further attempts to fix it.  So I'm not sure if it's been resolved or not.

Regarding Windows updates:  I'm not sure if they were the culprit or not, and I'm honestly not sure if the problem started after just an update.  I don't have automatic updates enabled and just manually update myself from time to time.

I was intending on re-trying the drivers again the next time it failed but it's been good for over a week now.  One thing I did notice though is that Windows has a more current version of the driver (2015) where the official one from Intel is considerably older (2013).  If/when it fails again should I try the Windows driver (something I typically avoid) or stick with Intel's?

• 7. Re: intermittent issue with infrared receiver...
                      Intel Corporation

Hello Kwyjibo73:

Thank you very much for providing that information.

It is great to hear that the infrared is working properly on the NUC.

In regard to your question, if by any chance the problem happens again, you can try any of those options, you can try the Intel driver, and if it works you can keep that driver, and if it does not work, then you can use the driver from Microsoft, you can use any option available that fixes the problem.

Alberto