11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 10:06 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

DP55WB 4TB USB Drive Windows 10

GeoffPeters

I have a number of DP55WB machines that are successfully running WIndows 10.

I just purchased a Seagate 4TB external USB drive but I cannot make it work with this MB.

I can see the drive in the BIOS and it appears in Device Manager as a "USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device". It is marked with a yellow exclamation point triangle and the device status is "This device cannot start. (Code 10).

Can anyone shed some light on the problem?

Thanks,

Geoff

• 1. Re: DP55WB 4TB USB Drive Windows 10
          N.Scott.Pearson

Hhmmm, well, it doesn't sound like Windows 10 is actually being so successful (sorry, I *had* to say it ).

The only thing I can suggest is to try it in other USB ports. I would stick with those on the rear panel of the board, since front panel (cabled) ports can potentially be affected by additional noise (etc.).

You are powering the drive separately, aren't you? Most drives you purchase today are USB 3.0-based, which means that more power is normally available to them via the USB cable. Plugging this cable into your boards' USB 2.0 ports is going to mean that the cable provides the drive with a lot less power...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: DP55WB 4TB USB Drive Windows 10
            GeoffPeters

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I have installed Windows 10 on ten boxes with the same MB and this is the only problem I have found.

The drive does not work on any of the rear panel ports.

This drive, It is a Seagate portable 2 ½ “, does not have a separate power connector. The drive works on three other computers on their USB 2.0 ports so I’m at a loss about why it does not work with the DP55WB.

• 3. Re: DP55WB 4TB USB Drive Windows 10
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello GeoffPeters,

Please bear in mind that your motherboard model does not support Windows® 10. A yellow exclamation point triangle in device manager is addressed with a driver update; however, I regret to inform that from our end there are no driver available for older platforms and Windows® 10. My recommendation is to stick with the supported operating systems which you can find here Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Desktop Boards.

Regards,

Amy.

• 4. Re: DP55WB 4TB USB Drive Windows 10
                GeoffPeters

Hi Amy,

I'll most likely stick with Windows 10 and just use another drive. Can you tell me what limitations there are on external USB drives for that MB? The largest I've tried is 500 GB and that works as expected.

I did follow the link you sent and there is no column for Windows 10 for any of the boards listed.

I do know that the 4TB drive works with a DH67GD which is listed as being supported "as-is" for Windows 8.1.

Thanks,

Geoff

• 5. Re: DP55WB 4TB USB Drive Windows 10
                  N.Scott.Pearson

So let's look at the multiple issues that exist here.

• The typical power consumption for a 2.5" technology HDD is 700mW (see, for example, Typical Power Consumption of PC Components - Power Draw in Watts). By specification, however, the maximum power that a USB 2.0 port is required to provide is 500mW (some USB 2.0 ports may provide more than 500mW, but they are not required to). As Seagate documents on their web site, using their portable drives with USB 2.0 may require the use of a "Y" cable that allows the drive to pull power from two USB 2.0 ports.

• From the standpoint of the board and BIOS-based access, you must use UEFI to support drives 3TB and larger. Of course, this doesn't really apply in this situation; you aren't booting from this USB-based drive. Within Windows, no such size limitation is present. I have a (externally-powered, 3.5" technology) Seagate 5TB USB 3.0 drive (i.e. bigger than the one you have) and have connected it to and used it successfully from both DX58SO and DP55KG boards. This is with 64-bit Windows 7, BTW.

Bottom line, provided the power requirements are taken care of, you should be able to use this drive with the DP55WG board. You may need to externally power or use a "Y" cable to accomplish this, however.

Another alternative is to add a USB 3.0 add-in card to your system. Here is the one that I have and it works just fine in both of these systems (and also gives me support for USB 3.0 ports on the front panel): Amazon.com: StarTech.com 4-Port PCIe USB 3.0 Card.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 6. Re: DP55WB 4TB USB Drive Windows 10
                    GeoffPeters

Hi Scott,

Yes, the 500mA (although 5V x 500mA = 2.5W) limitation may be the problem. It does seem odd to me that the DH67GD board will run the drive but not the DP55WB. They are different to be sure so that may be the problem. I missed the caveat about the "Y" cable and I could not find a spec for current consumption for the drive.

I was planning on stopping at Best Buy on my way home today to pick up a USB 3.0 card. Thanks for reinforcing that idea.

I'll report the results.

Thanks,

Geoff

• 7. Re: DP55WB 4TB USB Drive Windows 10
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Yea, I looked all over the Seagate site. It seems they do not publish this kind of information in their datasheets any longer.

• 8. Re: DP55WB 4TB USB Drive Windows 10
                        N.Scott.Pearson

Oh, one word of caution: If the card comes with a driver CD, be leery of using it. I recommend that you download the latest available version from the manufacturer's web site and use it instead.

...S

• 9. Re: DP55WB 4TB USB Drive Windows 10
                          GeoffPeters

Hi Scott,

I purchased a USB 3.0 card branded "Insignia" and it works as expected. I did not install any additional driver from the included CD.

Thanks for your help.

Geoff

• 10. Re: DP55WB 4TB USB Drive Windows 10
                            Intel Corporation
                            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Geoff, I apologize for jumping late to the thread. I see that N.Scott.Pearson already addressed your inquiry and helped you with some solutions. So, is there is something I can help you with let me know.

N.Scott.Pearson thank you for your help.

Regards,

Amy.

• 11. Re: DP55WB 4TB USB Drive Windows 10
                              N.Scott.Pearson

Good to hear, Geoff. Yea, with Windows 10, you shouldn't need to install any drivers at all; Windows Update should take care of it automatically.

...S