1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 10:48 AM by DeanGibson

STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029/v0030 power-on bug

DeanGibson

The BIOS "Power State" setting that controls whether or not the Stick powers-on when connected to power, is no longer effective.

It doesn't appear to matter whether the setting is "Always Off" or "Always On";  the effect is "Always On".

This worked in BIOS v0024, as I recall, and I think it also worked in v0026.

I happen to prefer that the Stick not automatically boot when connected to power, so this is a minor annoyance.

Other possibly related BIOS settings (in that they are not standard):

"PTT" is "Enable" (this is new with v0029)

"Select Operating System" is "Windows 64-bit"

"Secure Boot" is "Enabled"

Edit: Added v0030, as that BIOS has the same bug.

• 1. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029 power-on bug
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Dean Gibson,

In regard to your concern, I would like to confirm which will be the current BIOS version that you are running and also if you are facing this issue with that version?

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Regards,
          Angie

• 2. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029 power-on bug
            DeanGibson

??? As noted in the subject title, I'm now running version 0029 0030, and according to Download BIOS Update [SCCHTAX5.86A] that is the current version.

As soon as I see that a newer BIOS version has been posted, I will try it, but in the meantime, I'm staying with v0029/0030 (which fixes prior bugs that were important to me to be fixed).

Edit:  I tried the newer BIOS (0030), and it has the same bug.

• 3. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029 power-on bug
              Intel Corporation

Hello Dean Gibson,

Thank you for your confirmation.

I will try to a deeper research on your concern. Once that I have further details on this investigation I will provide you more information.

Regards,
              Angie.

• 4. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029 power-on bug
                Intel Corporation

Hello Dean Gibson,

Thank you for your time.

I am still working to get more information related to your concern. As soon as I can be able to confirm more information I will try to reply to you.

Regards,
                Angie

• 5. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029 power-on bug
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Dean Gibson,

I do apologize for the delay on my reply.

I am still working on the investigation of your current concern.

I hope I can reply to you soon with the final details.

Best Regards
                  Angie

• 6. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029 power-on bug
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Dean Gibson,

I do apologize for the delay on my reply.

I have not been able to replicate your issue. I will try a second time and as soon as I have additional information I will let you know my findings.

Best regards,

Angie

• 7. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029 power-on bug
                      Intel Corporation

Hello Dean Gibson,

I have tried to replicate your issue with no success.

Could you please reply with the following information to confirm if am I doing something different:

CategoryQuestionsAnswers (N/A if not applicable)
                      DescriptionProvide a detailed description of the issue 
                      Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%):
                         Often (51-99%):
                         Sporadic (20-50%):
                         Very Sporadic (<20%):
                      Hardware (HW)Brand and Model of the system. 
                      Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
                         ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                         LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                         EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below). 
                      Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
                         ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below). 
                      Software (SW)Operating System version (see note2 below). 
                      VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”. 
                      Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below). 
                      SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue. 
                      ConfigurationsSingle display, clone, or extended (see note2 below). 
                      Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below). 
                      AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not? 
                      How to reproPlease provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                         A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

Best regards,
                      Angie

• 8. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029 power-on bug
                        Intel Corporation

Hello Dean Gibson,

I have tried to replicate your issue with no success.

Could you please reply with the following information to confirm if am I doing something different:

DescriptionProvide a detailed description of the issue 
                        Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%):
                           Often (51-99%):
                           Sporadic (20-50%):
                           Very Sporadic (<20%):
                        Hardware (HW)Brand and Model of the system. 

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                           LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                           EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below). 

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below). 
                        Software (SW)Operating System version (see note2 below). 
                        VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”. 
                        Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below). 
                        SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue. 
                        ConfigurationsSingle display, clone, or extended (see note2 below). 
                        Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below). 
                        AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not? 
                        How to reproPlease provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                           A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

Best regards,
                        Angie

• 9. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029 power-on bug
                          Intel Corporation

Hello Dean Gibson,

Also, could you please provide me with screenshots of what you see, and what you are unable to see?

All the information provided it is really appreciated.

Best regards,
                          Angie

• 10. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029/v0030 power-on bug
                            allan_intel

Were you able to attach the requested information?

Allan.

• 11. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029 power-on bug
                              DeanGibson

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hello Dean Gibson,

I have tried to replicate your issue withno success.

DescriptionProvide a detailed description of the issueWhen power is applied to the device, it always powers on, despite the "Power State" setting in the BIOS, set to "Always Off".  See below for more details.

Always (100%): X
                              Often (51-99%):
                              Sporadic (20-50%):
                              Very Sporadic (<20%):
                              Hardware (HW)Brand and Model of the system.STK1AW32SC
                              Intel internal graphics
                              Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue(see note2 below).
                              LFP= Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                              EFP= External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)
                              Samsung 32" HDTV w/ HDMI input.
                              How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).2GB RAM (internal)
                              N/A
                              Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).???
                              Software (SW)Operating System version (see note2 below).N/A
                              VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.v0029 and v0030.  Did not happen with v0026.
                              Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).N/A (happens before WIndows boot)
                              SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.N/A (happens before WIndows boot)
                              ConfigurationsSingle display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).Single dispaly (other options not possible
                              Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).1920x1080 (standard HDMI), 60Hz
                              AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?AC
                              How to reproPlease provide steps to replicate the issue. Thesestepsarevery crucialto finding the root cause and fix.
                              1. Boot into BIOS, set the "Power State" to "Always Off"
                              2. Power off and remove all power from the device.
                              3. Apply power to the device without pressing the power-on button.
                              4. Notice that the device powers on and boots normally.
                              5. See notes below regarding BIOS settings that may be non-standard.

Best regards,
                              Angie

Better problem description:

The BIOS has an option to allow the STK1AW32SC to optionally automatically  power on when power is applied to the device.  This option allows the device to automatically boot after an interruption of power.  The option is labeled "Power State", with the following choices:

• "Always Off" means that the device will not automatically power on when power is applied.
                              • "Always On" means that the device will automatically power on when power is applied.

The bug is that the device will always automatically power on when power is applied, regardless of the above setting.

As stated in my original message above, I have set the following BIOS settings that are not-standard:

• "PTT" is "Enable" (this is new with v0029), and allows the usage of Windows 10 Pro BitLocker SSD encryption (which I have enabled)
                              • "Select Operating System" is "Windows 64-bit", because that is what I have installed (Windows 10 x64 Pro).
                              • "Secure Boot" is "Enabled", a requirement for Windows 10 Pro BitLocker.

I can turn off these three options, but then (as you can see) Windows 10 x64 will no longer boot.  At any rate, I suspect these options have nothing to do with the problem, but I mention them for completeness.

• 12. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029 power-on bug
                                DeanGibson

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hello Dean Gibson,

Also, could you please provide me with screenshots of what you see, and what you are unable to see?

All the information provided it is really appreciated.

Best regards, Angie

I don't understand this request, for the following reasons:

1. This problem is about whether or not the STK1AW32SC automatically powers on when power is applied (it does but should not, given the selected BIOS option).  It is not about what appears on the screen.
                                2. Screenshots are not possible to make within the BIOS, but only after Windows has booted.
                                3. I don't understand how it is possible to provide a screenshot of what I am unable to see. What I do see, is a BIOS and WIndows OS that boots normally.
                                • 13. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029 power-on bug
                                  DeanGibson

allan_intel wrote:

Were you able to attach the requested information?

Allan.

I hope the above information more clearly describes the problem.

• 14. Re: STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029 power-on bug
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello Dean Gibson,

Thank you for your reply.

In regard to your concern, when I access to the BIOS settings (with F7), of one Intel® Compute Stick STK1AW32SC.

I am able to see the "Power State" option under the BIOS settings, I am able to see this option of "Always On" and "Always Off".

I have tested with the versions:

All of them, with the option available to set.

At this moment we will continue with the research according to your report. As soon as we have further details, we will let you know.

Best regards,
                                    Angie

1 2 Previous Next