10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2016 2:18 PM by Intel Corporation

Win 10 IoT And GP BTN

C-Coder

Is anyone familiar with the GPIO pins for use with Win 10 IoT? Using classes in Windows::Devices::Gpio, I can easily flip the LEDs on/off using the GpioController class with pins 0-3, but I cannot seem to find anything noting where GP BTN is connected.

Thanks,

C-Coder

• 1. Re: Win 10 IoT And GP BTN
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi C-Coder,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Joule Platform.

We’re happy that you have been able to toggle the LEDs on/off using Win 10 IoT. We’ve been looking for an example of how to use GP BTN, and we found this example that could be changed in order to use the GP BTN on the Joule. Please take a look at this link: Push button, there you will find an example where a push button and LED are connected to some boards, you can use that code and modified it at your convenience. The GP BTN is connected to GPIO 17 according to Intel® Joule™ Module Datasheet, so, you can change it in your code.

Hope this information helps, we’ll be waiting your results, and if you have any questions or need more help, please let us know.

Regards,
          -Yermi

• 2. Re: Win 10 IoT And GP BTN
            C-Coder

Hi Yermi,

Thanks for the reply. I actually had looked at that sample prior to posting. Unfortunately it's not terribly helpful. The reason being is that Microsoft's Windows::Devices::Gpio::GpioController class reports that there are 14 GPIO pins (rather than the 8 reported in the datasheet) that I can open/read/write/close. They're numbered from 0 to 13. So it's really just a matter of determining how Microsoft is mapping those pins to the physical pins on the expansion board.

Thanks,

C-Coder

• 3. Re: Win 10 IoT And GP BTN
              Intel Corporation

Hi C-Coder,

According to the datasheet, Joule has up to 48 GPIO lines (8 GPIO lines dedicated and 40 can be reconfigured as GPIO), have you look at the Intel® Joule Expansion Board Pin Connector? Moreover, I’m not sure how Microsoft is mapping those pins to the expansion board, however, I would suggest you to contact Microsoft Windows 10 IoT support (https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot), and they could help you with an accurate answer.

Let us know if you any questions.

Regards,
              -Yermi

• 4. Re: Win 10 IoT And GP BTN
                Intel Corporation

Hi C-Coder,

I would like to know if you contacted Microsoft Windows 10 IoT support.

Regards,
                -Yermi

• 5. Re: Win 10 IoT And GP BTN
                  C-Coder

Hi Yermi,

The only thing I've found was the MSDN community forums and so far they haven't been very helpful. But I would like to look more into their Windows.Devices namespace and see if I can figure anything out on my own.

C-Coder

• 6. Re: Win 10 IoT And GP BTN
                    Intel Corporation

Hi C-Coder,

Taking a look into their Windows.Device namespace could be helpful, also, if you find out useful information, you could share that here, it will be help to other users in the community.

Regards,
                    -Yermi

• 7. Re: Win 10 IoT And GP BTN
                      C-Coder

Hi Yermi,

Still trying to work with Microsoft via their MSDN forum. The chain can be found here:

IoT Core, Joule Expansion Board, GPIO, and other Interfaces

It does appear that at some point, anyone wanting to create their own custom Windows 10 IoT Core image is going to need a BSP supplied by Intel. Do you know if this has happened or if/when it will?

Thanks,

C-Coder

• 8. Re: Win 10 IoT And GP BTN
                        Intel Corporation

Hi C-Coder,

We’re currently working on a BSP guide, however, you can find the BSP for building an Ostro Image here: https://github.com/ostroproject/ostro-os-xt. Also, we would like to show you Pin mapping for Mraa (Mraa is used to work with GPIOs using Linux) maybe it could help you: https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/mraa/blob/master/docs/grossetete.md.

Regards,
                        -Yermi

• 9. Re: Win 10 IoT And GP BTN
                          C-Coder

This post should not be assumed answered. The core questions still remain as we're hearing no useful information from Intel or Microsoft. The core questions are:

How does anyone know what the physical pins on each connector of the expansion board map to the pin array in the Windows.Devices.Gpio namespace.

Yes, I realize that namespace is a Microsoft provided thing. But Microsoft is obviously working with Intel on this. We have outstanding requests to both companies and neither is saying anything. All we hear from Intel is:

A - Talk to Microsoft

B - We're looking into it

C - Check this Linux documentation

All we hear from Microsoft is crickets.

A new question that I added to this post was that about a Windows BSP. "We're working on it" is the response. Well, obviously something exists because Microsoft provided a first image for people to put on their Joule modules about a month ago. Is there only one person in each company working on this product? Yes, I'm frustrated and yes I sound like a whiner. But my company wants to pay both Microsoft and Intel for their products but it seems that neither would like to collect our money, and I imagine we're not the only company that feels this way.

C-Coder

• 10. Re: Win 10 IoT And GP BTN
                            Intel Corporation

Hi C-Coder,

We apologize for the inconvenience, currently we are working on publishing Joule information regarding Windows 10 IoT and it should be live on our site soon.

Regards,
                            -Yermi