Building and Installation
NOTE: This driver package is to be used only as a standalone archive and the
user should not attempt to incorporate it into the kernel source tree.
In the instructions below, x.x.x is the driver version as indicated in the name
of the driver tar file.
1. Move the base driver tar file to the directory of your choice. For
example, use /home/username/em or /usr/local/src/em.
2. Untar/unzip the archive:
tar xzf em-x.x.x.tar.gz
This will create the em-x.x.x directory.
3. To install man page:
gzip -c em.4 > /usr/share/man/man4/em.4.gz
4. To load the driver onto a running system:
5. To assign an IP address to the interface, enter the following:
ifconfig em<interface_num> <IP_address>
6. Verify that the interface works. Enter the following, where <IP_address>
is the IP address for another machine on the same subnet as the interface
that is being tested:
7. If you want the driver to load automatically when the system is booted:
Edit /boot/loader.conf, and add the following line:
Edit /etc/rc.conf, and create the appropriate ifconfig_em<interface_num> entry:
ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.10.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
NOTE: For assistance, see the ifconfig man page.