Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

Intel Graphics 5500 huge, unplayable, horrible, square blanket of terror

idata
Employee

Hello, I've recently bought the intel i5-5200U processor, which is awesome, and comes with 5500 graphics, which seem to be total and complete garbage.

I literally can't do anything graphic at all, because everything is covered in tiny little squares, all the time. Every single program that needs graphics.

They look like this in Minecraft. I can see the game and even play it behind the squares, but they're always there. If I move in-game, everything that isn't

a black square moves, but obviously the screen is covered in black squares and therefore completely unplayable. Screenshots below.

This is not only in Minecraft, but I only have screenshots of that game. Everything else is the same.

Can someone help me not have the worst first impression of Intel integrated graphics? Thanks, and sorry for the rage.

I was really excited for this laptop and I've been really let down by this aspect so far. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello pehn420,

In regard to your current issue with your Intel® HD Graphics 5500. I would like to recommend you to try to install the latest graphic drivers.

You can proceed to download the drivers on the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=86210 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=86210

For further details, you can also reply with the name of the Operating system that you are currently using.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Angie, thanks for your response, but of course I've already installed the drivers. I build computers for fun.

I'm running Windows 10 64-bit. I did try installing the drivers one more time, for kicks, but that did nothing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pehn420,

Thank you for the confirmation of the driver installation,

In order to provide you further assistance, I would like to confirm if this issue that you are facing, you can see it only when you play Minecraft, or if there are other moments when you see this error or any other graphics issue.

I am looking forward to heard from you.

Regards,

Angie

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Angie, as I wrote in the original post, this is not only in Minecraft. I just only had pictures of Minecraft, so I posted them. It happens in every game that I play. It even happens when I try to play a phone game on Bluestacks Android Emulator.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pehn420,

Thank you for your reply. The last thing that I would like to confirm with you will be if you still see this issue on your BIOS and also which will be the BIOS version that you have?

I will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Angie, I appreciate you trying to help me with this. Thanks a lot. I don't see this issue in the BIOS, and my BIOS version is 2.17.1249. Thanks for all your help and I look forward to your response!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I tried another game, besides Minecraft and Android emulation, I tried League of Legends which is not a Java-based game to my knowledge and this is what it looks like.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pehn420,

I do apologize for the delay on my reply.

I was trying to complete a test in order to provide you with more steps or a possible solution.

Another thing that I would like to confirm with you, will be if you are using any video adapter. Also, have you confirm if your HDMI connection to your monitor it is not locked?

I would like to know, the model of the monitor you are using?

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pehn420,

In regard to your previous concern, I would like to confirm if you are using any video adapter. Also, have you confirm if your HDMI connection to your monitor it is not locked?

I would like to know, the model of the monitor you are using?

Hope I can hear from you soon in order to continue with the investigation.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello - as it clearly states in the original post, combined with the fact that this video card is most frequently found in laptops, that this is a laptop problem. There is no monitor, there is no HDMI connection, and there's certainly no video adapter.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pehn420,

Thank you for your reply.

At this moment, since you have specified to me that your issue it is directly on your laptop, I would like to confirm if you have tested the installation of any graphic driver of your manufacturer (OEM).

If you have not try to install them, I would like you to please provide me the model of your Laptop. So then I can help you to find additional drivers.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Kind regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pehn420,

Could you please confirm if you have tested the installation of any graphic driver of your manufacturer (OEM)?

If you have not try to install them, I would like you to please provide me the model of your Laptop, so then I can help you to find additional drivers.

I hope I can hear from you soon.

Kind regards,

Angie
0 Kudos