4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 2:37 PM by Intel Corporation

ISS IoT Edition aborts during package update

dcbrian

Intel IoT -> Packages Update...

produces the following error message:

An internal error occurred during: "Updating packages... (not cancelable)".

java.lang.NullPointerException

• 1. Re: ISS IoT Edition aborts during package update
          dcbrian

I found a work-around for this error.  First, I forgot to mention that I'm running OS X El Capitan.  To get around this bug, I uninstalled Docker.  Then I installed Docker Toolbox in it's place.  That works, but I hope Intel's Joule team will look further into this since the setup instructions (https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/660276) indicate Docker as the preferred VM software and Docker Toolbox for those running an OS older than El Capitan.

• 2. Re: ISS IoT Edition aborts during package update
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Brian,

Thank you very much for providing your own workaround on this issue. We also contacted you in this other thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/107448, and we will pass your feedback to the development team.

Regards,
            -Pablo

• 3. Re: ISS IoT Edition aborts during package update
              dcbrian

Hi Pablo,

thank you for the note; however, I have discovered I was wrong.  After working a little more I learned that the Docker Toolbox doesn’t work for building the executable during the cross compile.  I tried running the docker build command to build directly in my shell, and it wouldn’t build.

The command...

docker exec -i fb27f5bf6d384404b73d1e7b98aff76f07818bae6bb95a5feaa2b248950e6756 /bin/bash -c "cd /workspace/Hello_World/Debug && x86_64-ostro-linux-g++ -I/usr/include/upm -I/usr/include/mraa -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 --sysroot= -m64 -march=corei7 -c -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -o src/main.o ../src/main.cpp"

...produced the error an error indicating that /workspace/Hello_World/Debug doesn't exit.

It seems like whatever process populates the Docker instance with the files it needs to build isn’t doing so.  There’s probably something that could fix it, but given that I’m working outside the advised workflow by running the toolbox on El Capitan, maybe it’s not worth pursuing.

So I gave the Docker application another try, and it worked with a config change.  I’ll explain.  My computer’s login ID is in the form <last name>.<first name>.  The default workspace would be /Users/<last name>.<first name>/workspace_iot; however, the version of Eclipse upon which Intel based ISS IOT does not support a dot within the path, so I from the very beginning I had to create an alternate path for the workspace.  Docker has a list of directories (Docker Prefs | File Sharing) on the host machine to which it permits itself to write, and my alternate workspace path didn’t fall into that list.  When I added that path, I was able to successfully generate the sample projects from scratch, which I couldn’t before, and build them.

Best Regards!

• 4. Re: ISS IoT Edition aborts during package update
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Brian,

I really appreciate you taking the time to update us on this case. I will proceed to mark your last post as the correct answer in both cases then. Please don’t hesitate to open a new ticket if you have any other question related to the Joule platform.

Regards,
                -Pablo