1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2016 5:11 PM by Intel Corporation

small screen size

ItTom123

So I use a compute stick, model BOXSTK1AW32SC. I have it hooked up to a 1080P vizio TV for digital signage in the work place. It works great except occasionally I will get into work and pass the screen and it is not taking up the full screen any more. I have attached an example of what it looks like. The only way to get it to fill the screen is a reboot. It is up to date with the latest updates. You HAVE to reboot too, If I hook a mouse and keyboard up you cant click anything because it doesnt seem to know what the mouse is actually pointing at since the scaling is gone. The only thing you can click is the start button since no matter the scaling it is bottom left.  If I check the TV info it still shows that it is a 1080p signal. I am pretty sure at this point it is when it does updates and reboots that causes the problem, seems like if it reboots while the TV is off so it gets confused once the TV is powered on. I say this as I set a task to reboot once a week to avoid the issue BUT on a reboot without the issue occurring it actually makes the issue occur then another reboot fixes it.

• 1. Re: small screen size
          ItTom123

OK so it looks like it is the reboot. If I reboot with the TV off, when I turn it on I get the partial screen. BUT as soon as I reboot with the TV on, the screen is fixed. I can reboot twice with the TV off and still gives the issue, OR I can reboot multiple times with the TV on and it is fine. So seems like something with the display driver isn't adapting to the TV turning on IF the compute stick has reboot while the TV is off. If this makes sense lol

• 2. Re: small screen size
            DeanGibson

Some televisions have an "overscan" or similar setting which you can turn off ...

• 3. Re: small screen size
              ItTom123

Thanks for the idea, but this is sever underscan if anything. the picture is shoved in the corner and still is outputing at 1080p. If it were an overscan setting no amount of reboots would fix it as it would always be overscaned right?

• 4. Re: small screen size
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello ItTom123,

In regard to your inquiry about the small screen size that you get with the Intel® Compute Stick STK1AW32SC. Could you please try to install the latest graphic drivers that you will be able to find on the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26182/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Intel-Compute-Stick-STK1AW32SC?product=91065

Also, please make sure that you are connecting your Intel® Compute Stick straight to your television and please avoid to use any cable adapters, due that this kind of connectivity may affect the quality of the video.

Regards,

Angie.

• 5. Re: small screen size
                  DeanGibson

When TVs run in "overscan" mode, they try to figure out how to handle the received video, and if they get confused, it could result in overscan OR underscan.  And yes, depending on how the firmware in the TV is working, it could vary between booting.  Most digital TVs have a "dot-for-dot" or similar setting (ie, disable the overscan feature).

How about trying it, rather than arguing with me about terminology?  Assuming you have the correct video drivers installed on the Stick, this strongly appears to be a television issue, not a Stick issue.

When the TV is in this mode, is the depicted mouse on the screen limited to just the displayed image area, or can you move the mouse into the black area?  Are you using a "KVM"-type device?

• 6. Re: small screen size
                    ItTom123

I wasn't trying to argue but what ever be a D bag thats fine. I had question marks meaning I am asking not telling.Please dont try to help me any further ill work with the Intel rep instead.

• 7. Re: small screen size
                      ItTom123

Will give the driver a shot when I get in tomorrow. Does it not download video drivers with windows updates, just for future reference?

• 8. Re: small screen size
                        Intel Corporation

Thank you, Dean Gibson for your comments on the case.

To: ItTom123

Hello ItTom123,

Thank you for your reply.

And now, about the windows updates, I would like to inform you that when you download the most of the Windows updates, they come with driver updates that may fix some issues with the system.

Although this does not mean that with every update you will have a new driver for the same issue, this is another reason why Intel® and the other manufacturers provide its own drivers compatible with each different device, in order to avoid any harm to your equipment.

Regards,

Angie

• 9. Re: small screen size
                          ItTom123

make sense, for some reason I thought I had seen a display driver listed in windows updates at one point but I could definitely be wrong lol or like you said maybe there was one but just not the most recent. Ill will post back once I get that going hopefully tomorrow morning we'll see how busy things are lol since it is just our signage it isnt my highest priority lol. Have a good one, and until next time!

• 10. Re: small screen size
                            DeanGibson

ItTom123 wrote:

I wasn't trying to argue but what ever be a D bag thats fine.

ItTom123 wrote:

... Does it not download video drivers with windows updates, just for future reference?

At the risk of receiving more insults when trying to help, I'll point out that Windows update will sometimes download drivers that appear to be the correct ones for a chipset, but in fact cause system instability until replaced by the ones on the manufacturer's site.  I have seen this specifically with another Intel-based stick-type device.  I was about to discard the device in frustration, when I finally tried installing the Intel "SOC" package from this site, which promptly solved the problem.

Have you tried checking your TV for a "dot-for-dot" setting?

When the TV is in this mode, is the depicted mouse on the screen limited to just the displayed image area, or can you move the mouse into the black area?

Are you using a "KVM"-type device?

• 11. Re: small screen size
                              gepard

In the settings you try to change. everything changes as in life.

• 12. Re: small screen size
                                Intel Corporation

Dean Gibson and gepard, thanks for your comments.

To: ItTom123

Hello ItTom123,

I will be waiting for your feedback.

Regards,
                                Angie

• 13. Re: small screen size
                                  ItTom123

Well I made some progress. I got the graphics driver installed and it think it helped a little bit. I am starting to wonder if it is the program that runs our signage that is giving the issue. I rebooted with the screen off and when it came on was shoved in the corner BUT this time the mouse lined up with the entire task bar and when I exited our signage app the screen flickered and went full screen. I say the driver helped because I could actually use the mouse to exit the program this time where as before it would only hit the start button ok. OH and I checked to be safe and the TV is in normal mode not Overscan, It actually wont even let me change it from normal saying it is nor supported with the signal. And this is for sure the screen ratio setting as there is another setting that lets me choose vivid, sport, game, etc for color options. You guys think it is the stick or the app its hard to tell. I am going to get in touch with their support to see what they think as well.

• 14. Re: small screen size
                                    ItTom123

And Dean, I dont want to be insulting, it was just your second comment makes it sound like you think no one should question your suggestions and always accept them as fact. I mean if you just posted "start a BIOS flash and cut power in the middle of the process" and I dont question it, I would be worse off. I just didnt see the logic in the overscan setting in your first post which is why I tried to clarify my issue again about it being like "underscan" lol. You did explain but the whole "dont argue and just do" is what I am talking about, had you left that out your advise would be taken much more openly.

1 2 Previous Next