1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 1:02 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

NUC6i3SYH restarts when trying to shutdown

alexeyga

I have had my NUC6i3SYH for a few months now, had to go through 2 units to get one with no WIFI problems, but both units had shutting-down issues.

Basically here's the behavior:

-If shutting down a freshly booted system that has run for longer than an hour (about) - it will most certainly power back on again.

-shooting down a system that just has been powered on - usually does work, although I had a few occurrences when it required 2-3 attempts.

-If shutting down a system that has been suspended (sleep mode) even once - it will power down correctly

-If shutting down a system that has been restarted even once during the current "power-on cycle" - chances are about 50/50.

My hopes were high for bios updates, been through 0052 and 0054 versions - to no avail.

• 1. Re: NUC6i3SYH restarts when trying to shutdown
          N.Scott.Pearson

What are your settings in the Secondary Power Settings scene? To see them, enter Visual BIOS using F2 and then click on Advanced and then Power.

My suggestions for avoiding issues like this:

• Set After Power Failure to Stay Off.
          • Set Wake on LAN from S4/S5 to Stay Off.

Do you see the issue with these settings in place?

...S

• 2. Re: NUC6i3SYH restarts when trying to shutdown
            alexeyga

Scott, thanks for the input, but all of these setting are and were OFF.

Oh, and running MINT 18 for the OS.

• 3. Re: NUC6i3SYH restarts when trying to shutdown
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to N. Scott Pearson for the information posted previously.

To alexeyga:

Did you test it with one memory stick, if you have two of them please try each of them?

What is the memory type you are using with the NUC?

Just for testing purposes, do you have the option to use a different SSD or hard drive?

Do you have the option to test it with a different power adapter?

As a general information, remember that Intel did not test the NUC with Linux, the supported operating system is Windows, as you can confirm on the following link, that is just to let you know, because the problem does not seemed to be related to that:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-boards/000005628.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 4. Re: NUC6i3SYH restarts when trying to shutdown
                alexeyga

Alberto,

Here's the list of components:

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 260-Pin DDR4

SSD: SanDisk X400 M.2 128GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive

HDD: 1TB WD

The memory has been tested for errors, that's the first thing I do before installing any OS.   Though I haven't tried running only one stick at a time.

Back when I was troubleshooting my first unit with WIFI issues - I had Windows 10 installed on it and it also had issues powering off, so it doesn't seem to be OS-related.

Now, I don't have any spare M.2 drives, but I have some regular SSD-s laying around, so I could probably try testing the unit with one of these.  Not that I'm really looking forward to taking the unit apart once again...

Will check for a power supply, I might have something compatible laying around.

B.t..w. there was another thread with the same issues on the same NUC model, and the OP was running W10 on his.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: NUC6i3SYH restarts when trying to shutdown
                  N.Scott.Pearson

I would add that Intel does not formally support Linux on the NUC platforms. I have seen reports of issues in the past wherein shutdowns resulted in restarts when Linux is the O/S used. Whether this was an issue with the BIOS or with the Linux distro varied. I can only suggest that you ensure that you are running the latest BIOS and are using the latest Linux Kernel and IA drivers that you can get...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 6. Re: NUC6i3SYH restarts when trying to shutdown
                    Intel Corporation

Hello:

Once again thank you very much to N. Scott Pearson for the comments posted previously.

To alexeyga:

Thank you for letting us know that information, the memory seems to be fully compatible and so is the SSD.

So, please try those tests, try to use the NUC with one memory stick, and also if you have regular SSD’s around test them too, that will help us to narrow down the problem, same thing with the power adapter.

In regard to the OS, when a customer has this same problem with Windows, since the NUC was tested that way, we can confirm, after trying all those troubleshoot steps that the NUC is defective, with Linux, the problem could be the NUC itself, or it could be related to Linux directly.

Alberto

• 7. Re: NUC6i3SYH restarts when trying to shutdown
                      MattiaP

I have the very same issue with my nuc5i5. There are several discussions on the topic. Do you have an usb hub attached to it or a monitor with an usb hub? Try to plug in an usb3 flashdrive to the nuc  and then shut it down.

• 8. Re: NUC6i3SYH restarts when trying to shutdown
                        alexeyga

Alberto,

I'll try to find some time over the weekend and will test the unit not just with another SSD drive, but I'll install a fresh W10 on it.

As such, the unit works perfectly fine, but it took me 4 tries last evening to power it off!

MattiaP,

Nope, no hubs.  the only thing I've got plugged in - is a wireless keyboard receiver.

All in all, the feeling I get - is that when you're trying to shut it down - instead it goes in one of these bios-update-restart-cycles when it goes off and then powers back up again after a moment.

• 9. Re: NUC6i3SYH restarts when trying to shutdown
                          Intel Corporation

Hello alexeyga:

Thank you very much for providing that information.

Perfect, no problem, once you get the chance try those tests, and then please let us know the results of using the NUC with Windows and with another SSD.

Alberto

• 10. Re: NUC6i3SYH restarts when trying to shutdown
                            alexeyga

Albert,

It looks like you were right.  With Windows 10 it's all smooth without hiccups.   Sadly.

Here's a free idea you should pass to Intel's marketing people that will at least double the sales of NUC-s - throw in a Windows licence! )))

Now I'm wondering if that might have had something to do with UEFI vs Legacy installations.  I had Mint installed in UEFI mode, however I haven't tested it in Legacy.

Still, thanks for the input!

Alex

• 11. Re: NUC6i3SYH restarts when trying to shutdown
                              N.Scott.Pearson

I would try doing a Legacy install...

• 12. Re: NUC6i3SYH restarts when trying to shutdown
                                Intel Corporation

Hello alexeyga:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

It is great to hear that the NUC works fine with Windows.

And yes, I will transfer your suggestion about Windows license to the proper department so they can check on that.

In regard to use Linux on legacy, you can always try that, the following link is for Linux forums, in there you will be able to talk to different peers that might be able to provide further details:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Alberto

• 13. Re: NUC6i3SYH restarts when trying to shutdown
                                  N.Scott.Pearson

The NUCs are sold as kits. That is, they have a [mother]board (sometimes including WiFi module), a chassis (with WiFi antennas) and a power brick. They are specifically NOT sold as systems. Folks want to control what memory, what drives, what O/S, etc. they use. Supporting additional SKUs of the product adds costs. Stocking memory in various sizes and speeds adds costs. Stocking various NGFF (SATA and NVMe) and 2.5" SATA SSDs/HDDs/SSHDs adds costs. Stocking and maintaining various O/S builds adds costs. Get the theme here? All of these additional costs would have to be embedded into the price of the products/SKUs offered. Bad idea. Enough said.

If you really, really want a system that is fully assembled and tested and outfitted with an O/S, there are a whole bunch of 3rd-party fulfillment companies that will do this for you (check such offerings on Amazon, NewEgg, etc.). Would this be safer and avoid some of the issues being seen? Absolutely. Will this cost you more overall? Absolutely. Enough said.

...S

• 14. Re: NUC6i3SYH restarts when trying to shutdown
                                    alexeyga

Scott,

I somewhat fail to see your point.

I only suggested to include a license, but not the OS it-self.

One might also argue - what's the point of selling a barebone hardware that is only good for one type of OS?  Especially if the OS in question has to be purchased separately...

1 2 Previous Next