5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 1:24 PM by Intel Corporation

Open-source UEFI-compliant BIOS?

b-man

Listed under the Specifications section on the Intel Joule homepage, the Operating System and Board Support Package subsection lists that the Joule implements an "Open-source UEFI-compliant BIOS". What does this mean? Are we likely to see an EDKII port to the Intel Joule similar to what the MinnowBoard MAX has?

• 1. Re: Open-source UEFI-compliant BIOS?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi B-man,

Let me investigate more about it. I will let you know when I have updates.

I appreciate your patience.

Regards, 
          -Leonardo

• 2. Re: Open-source UEFI-compliant BIOS?
            Intel Corporation

Hi B-man,

Currently at this time we have no plans for EDK II, we are following the standards for UEFI. To help you more we need more information about your questions, so what is your end goal? And are you trying to create a custom BIOS image?

Thank you so much for your patience, we will be waiting for your reply.

Regards,
            -Leonardo

• 3. Re: Open-source UEFI-compliant BIOS?
              b-man

Thank you for the response Leonardo. I was asking in part out of curiosity. I'm currently a university student studying computer science, and I enjoy experimenting with low-level software in my free time. I figured that if the Intel Joule had an open source UEFI, it would be another platform where I could spin my own custom UEFI that implements a custom menu interface, or has added features such as PXE boot with a network adapter.

For example, one platform that I have recently worked with was Linaro's 96Boards HiKey development board, which implements an open source UEFI based on EDKII. One limitation of the HiKey board was that it lacked a dedicated SPI flash chip to store firmware, and as a result the UEFI's runtime services were broken because GetVariable() and SetVariable() could not be called due to the Linux kernel and the UEFI sharing the same memory device (eMMC). I implemented (with limited success) a specialized DXE driver that would mirror a variable store partition on the eMMC to ram and the UEFI's variable runtime service would use that as a virtual variable store. Once the machine would power cycle this virtual variable store would be written back to the variable store partition on the eMMC. More details can be found here.

I also wrote an SMBIOS driver for the HiKey platform.

• 4. Re: Open-source UEFI-compliant BIOS?
                Intel Corporation

Hi B-man,

Thank you so much for answering our questions, let us investigate a little more about it, and we will reply you soon.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
                -Leonardo

• 5. Re: Open-source UEFI-compliant BIOS?
                  Intel Corporation

Hi B-man,

About this feature, it is currently not available, but we will add it to our list of potential future enhancements. 

We really appreciate that you took your time to talk to us, and thank you so much for your question. These are the things that makes us improve our products.

Have a nice day.

Regards,  
                  -Leonardo