4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2016 5:57 PM by Intel Corporation

BOXSTK1A8LFCL - how do I replace unity to xfce?

nhtrader

My ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS Compute Stick only has 1Gb RAM and 8Gb Storage, and is out of Disk Space and limited by low RAM.

I'd like to use a less resource intensive desktop called XFCE and replace Ubuntu's Unity desktop.

How do I replace Unity with XFCE?

• 1. Re: BOXSTK1A8LFCL - how do I replace unity to xfce?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello nhtrader:

In regard to your question, I just wanted to let you know that we recommend to use the compute stick with the operating system that came pre-installed on it, this is because by changing the OS on it, some compatibility problems might be expected, and some of the features that the stick has might not work properly.

Now, in order to get further technical assistance on trying to change it, the best thing to do will be to access your Linux distro's website and forums for peer assistance for this inquiry at:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: BOXSTK1A8LFCL - how do I replace unity to xfce?
            linuxium

You could use one of my ISOs (see Running Ubuntu on Intel Bay Trail and Cherry Trail Devices - Linuxium  or linuxium.com.au: Running Ubuntu on Intel Bay Trail and Cherry Trail Devices). My Lubuntu ISO is designed specifically for your device as being a lightweight Ubuntu it is highly suitable for the minimalist STCK1A8LFC model and I've configured it to use ZRAM both in the ISO and once installed.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: BOXSTK1A8LFCL - how do I replace unity to xfce?
              nhtrader

As an intel product, I feel that I should post questions here rather than in ubuntuforums.org. As you admitted, making changes might "mess" it up, so going to the ubuntu community wouldn't be the source to understand your product's (Intel Compute Stick) nuances and details when making changes. Secondly, the Intel Compute Stick's version of ubuntu is not a standard version nor distro of ubuntu as has been documented by linuxium.

Third, Intel chose the Unity desktop which is the most resource(hardware) intensive version of ubuntu so I only makes sense to ask the Intel Community for advice as to how to remove it and replace it with a smaller/lighter ubuntu desktop which would use less RAM and storage space. This change would allow users of this product to continue to update ubuntu. As is stands, this product can't be updated due to space limitations.

While I understand you don't want these sorts of questions posted here, which highlight the products limitations, presumably answers will be posted and others like me who are stuck with an obsolete product might be able to learn how to update it and re-use it.

The product manufacturer should be source for solutions and work arounds.

• 4. Re: BOXSTK1A8LFCL - how do I replace unity to xfce?
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello nhtrader:

We as Intel, fully respect and understand the feedback and comments from you or any other peer viewing this or any other thread.

We apologize for any inconvenience or any bad experience you might had with the Intel compute stick.

This is actually a very basic device, is almost a plug a play device, the compute stick does not have full capabilities for customizations, like for example a desktop PC will have.

Now, in regard to the compute stick that came with Linux pre-installed, all the support for customizations or settings or any operating system inquiry is supported by Linux itself, that is why we refer the peers that have that product to the Linux forums, and the fact that the stick has Unity desktop was a design decision, but still, since Ubunto belongs to Linux, then the support for it including drivers, is provided by those same forums on Linux support site.

Once again we apologize for all the inconvenience, and hopefully some of the peers viewing this thread will be able to provide further details and assist you with the information you are looking for.

Thank you very much to linuxium for the information posted previously.

Regards