3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 7:19 AM by dcbrian

Failure to Generate ISS IoT Example Project

dcbrian

I just downloaded an installed the latest ISS IoT Edition.  I went though each of the installation steps without incident as detailed here: IoT - Setting up the Intel® System Studio IoT Edition (Mac*) | Intel® Software .  I stepped through the wizard to create a new IoT project, e.g. C++ example Hello World, but when I click Finish, nothing happens.  It doesn't create a project or any files.  If I attempt to create a plain C++ project, it creates the project and supporting files as expected.  I didn't find a way to create an empty IoT project; whereas if I had, I would have just added the source the example application that I pulled down from github.  It seems like the workflow requires that you use an example as a starting point.  I'm suspicious that creating the example projects involves a git clone.  Does anyone know if that to be the case?  If so, it may be the source of my problem as my local network seems to be firewalling such traffic (yeah, frustrating).  However, should the git clone not be the cause of this problem, has anyone else had this problem or solved it?

I'm working on the Joule platform, but this doesn't seem necessarily confined to the Joule.  It seems more of an issue related to ISS IoT.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm running ISS IoT on a Macbook Pro, OS X El Capitan

• 1. Re: Failure to Generate ISS IoT Example Project
          dcbrian

I found a work-around for this error.  To get around this bug, I uninstalled Docker.  Then I installed Docker Toolbox in it's place.  That works, but I hope Intel's Joule team will look further into this since the setup instructions (https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/660276) indicate Docker as the preferred VM software and Docker Toolbox for those running an OS older than El Capitan.  I now have the Hello World sample source in ISS IOT.

• 2. Re: Failure to Generate ISS IoT Example Project
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Brian,

Thank you very much for letting us know your workaround on this issue and on this other one https://communities.intel.com/thread/107480. We just want to let you know that we will definitely look up on this bug/problem and pass the feedback to the development team. We really appreciate you taking the time to run your own tests and letting us know of your results. Hopefully, this should be fixed in a future image release.

Regards,
            -Pablo

• 3. Re: Failure to Generate ISS IoT Example Project
              dcbrian

Hi Pablo,

I know you've linked this issue to another one that is similar, but just to cover all the bases, I'm posting this here as well.

Best Regards!

Hi Pablo,

thank you for the note; however, I have discovered I was wrong.  After working a little more I learned that the Docker Toolbox doesn’t work for building the executable during the cross compile.  I tried running the docker build command to build directly in my shell, and it wouldn’t build.

The command...

docker exec -i fb27f5bf6d384404b73d1e7b98aff76f07818bae6bb95a5feaa2b248950e6756 /bin/bash -c "cd /workspace/Hello_World/Debug && x86_64-ostro-linux-g++ -I/usr/include/upm -I/usr/include/mraa -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 --sysroot= -m64 -march=corei7 -c -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -o src/main.o ../src/main.cpp"

...produced the error an error indicating that /workspace/Hello_World/Debug doesn't exit.

It seems like whatever process populates the Docker instance with the files it needs to build isn’t doing so.  There’s probably something that could fix it, but given that I’m working outside the advised workflow by running the toolbox on El Capitan, maybe it’s not worth pursuing.

So I gave the Docker application another try, and it worked with a config change.  I’ll explain.  My computer’s login ID is in the form <last name>.<first name>.  The default workspace would be /Users/<last name>.<first name>/workspace_iot; however, the version of Eclipse upon which Intel based ISS IOT does not support a dot within the path, so I from the very beginning I had to create an alternate path for the workspace.  Docker has a list of directories (Docker Prefs | File Sharing) on the host machine to which it permits itself to write, and my alternate workspace path didn’t fall into that list.  When I added that path, I was able to successfully generate the sample projects from scratch, which I couldn’t before, and build them.

Best Regards!