7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 11:27 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel NUC6i7KYK freezes

ds1234

I have recently purchased an Intel NUC6i7KYK with the following configuration:

• Samsung 950 PRO M.2, details here
      • 2x (SO-DIMM HyperX Impact, HX421S13lBK2/32 CTHM1681663, 1.2v), details here

For about a week it worked flawlessly and since yesterday the system has started to freeze randomly (the video is ON, but it does not respond to any input, mouse or keyboard). The device is connected to a 21:9 Dell monitor (with a resolution 3440x1440) through DisplayPort.

For troubleshooting I have performed the following:

1. Updated to the latest BIOS
      2. Latest video drivers
      3. Removed memory sticks one by one
      4. Left the case open
      5. Changed the FAN settings to maintain a lower temperature

Nothing helped.

Looking at the tested memory configuration I don't see the type that I have. Does anyone know if this is supported?

I have requested and exchange from Amazon and it is arriving on Monday, but I am wondering if I have a defective unit (not sure how it can become defective in a week) or there is something else wrong and I will be experiencing the same issue with the new unit. Anything else that I did not try that I should?

• 1. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK freezes
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello ds1234:

In regard to your question, you basically tried all the troubleshoot steps that we recommend for this kind of issue.

The NUC works with DDR4-2133+ 1.2V, 1.35V SO-DIMM, so the memory you are using seems to be fully compatible, however, sometimes the NUC does not work properly with certain memory types even if they comply with the requirements.

The fact that the memory is not showing on the tested memory list, does not mean it is not compatible, there are a lot of products that are not on that list and they work just fine with the NUC.

It is hard to tell for sure if the problem is the memory or NUC itself, so, once you get the new memory, please test the NUC just with one stick first, and then add the other one.

If the problem persists with the new memory, then it could be a problem with the NUC itself.

Remember to set the BIOS on the NUC to defaults by pressing F9.

Just to let you know the latest BIOS version is 0042:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26338/BIOS-Update-KYSKLi70-86A-?product=89187

And the latest graphics driver for the NUC is version 4501:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26259/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK?product=89187

This is the beta driver 4530, you can try this driver as well:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26305/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88357

Please let me know the results of testing the NUC with the new memory RAM.

Do you have the option to test the NUC with a different SSD?

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK freezes
            ds1234

I will get the new NUC today, but I will be using the same memory and SSD (I have not returned those). I do have the BIOS 42 and 4501, I have no tried 4530. What puzzles me is that it worked flawlessly for a whole week.

• 3. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK freezes
              RGraves

I can't afford to go out and buy new memory? I'd have to go through the manufacturer. I've already had to return the NUC to Newegg once because the screw holes for the bottom lid broke off inside the unit.

• 4. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK freezes
                markseoul

My NUC 6i5SYK has exactly same issue - Suddenly some noise and then the screen is frozen or black out. It looks like this happens on a regular basis - Windows event logs show this freezing happened at about 8AM and 10PM almost everyday. I just reported this to Intel Services, and they have started a process to get my NUC to send to them.

• 5. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK freezes
                  Intel Corporation

Hello:

To all the peers viewing this thread, if you already try the troubleshoot steps recommended on this thread and the problem persist, then for or us to be able to start an investigation on this subject, please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for that is that every scenario is different, even if the same product is being used, so, for us to further assist you and also in order for us to help you with the specific problem the NUC might have, please submit a new thread.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

To ds1234:

Perfect, please let us know the results of using the new NUC, it should now work properly without any problems.

Sometimes that happens with different kind of products, they seems to work fine for days even weeks and they can always get defective all of a sudden.

To try a different memory stick will be a good thing to do still, if you have the option of course.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 6. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK freezes
                    ds1234

The new unit seems to be working fine with the same memory and storage as the previous one. It looks like the NUC went bad, will post back if I have any more issues. For now is all good.

• 7. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK freezes
                      Intel Corporation

Hello ds1234:

Perfect, excellent, that is great to hear.

No problem, hopefully the NUC should work properly from now on.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto