Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

HDMI audio suppresses first two seconds for fade-in

DDong5
Beginner

Does anyone have successfully disabled fade-in of HDMI Intel Display Audio driver? I am experiencing suppression of the first two seconds of sound by MP3 audio files (Windows Media Player) and by MP4 video files (Movies and TV). I guess this fade-in function aims energy savings during Windows emits no sounds.

I bought newly a monitor QNIX QHD2410R Multi and connected via HDMI cable. This brought me stereo sounds from the back side of the monitor. The sound quality is not excellent but it helps me a lot giving me some caution sounds from Windows while my work space is small for extra speakers. But because many Windows sounds are shorter than two seconds, the HDMI digital audio degrades its value enormously. The driver description and my PC resume are like the followings.

HDMI (Intel(R) Display Audio)

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 2016/07/15

Driver Version: 10.0.14393.0

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

Monitor: QNIX QHD2410R Multi

with backside speakers

can switch between analog input/digital input (HDMI)

recognized as "Generic PnP Monitor" by Windows

M/B: Asus H170-Pro

has a Realtek audio analog output

(connecting this to the analog input of monitor is a present work-around,

requires changing the default audio output device)

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 530

("Intel HD Graphics Control Panel" has apparently no setting items for sound)

CPU: Core i7 6700 3.4GHz

OS: Windows 10 64bit Pro (Version 1607 Build 14393.223)

SSD: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe

HDD: WD Blue 2TB 5400rpm

TV tuner: PIX-DT460 PCI Express x1

Keyboard and Mouse: each via PS/2

When I play audio CDs, the suppression does not occur, although it takes a couple of seconds to start anyway. When I connect the HDMI cable to my father's TV (Panasonic TH-L32C3) as an output device, the fade-in period will be shortened to a half second. This may suggest that the Intel display audio driver recognizes output devices and adjusts the fade-in period. Or at least there are device-combination dependencies. So far am I encouraged to reduce the period to zero.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello KimDongKyu:

Thank you very much for that information.

Based on that, this could be a compatibility problem with that specific monitor.

For testing purposes, did you test the PD with a high quality HDMI cable?

The problem happens with files that you have stored, or it happens during streaming?

Some monitors have their own drivers and also they have the option to do a firmware update, because the fact that Windows recognizes the monitor a generic might be the reason for this problem to happen, you should be able to see the model of the monitor in there.

I looked for a driver for the monitor but I did not found it on their web site, so in order to check on that it will be better to get in contact directly with them:

http://www.qnixbiz.com/?p=648 http://www.qnixbiz.com/?p=648

Also, on the following link you will see the latest version for the graphics driver for controller Intel® HD Graphics 530:

Driver 4501:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88345 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88345

This is the Beta driver 4530, you can try this driver as well:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26305/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88345 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26305/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88345

Also, did you test the PC with different sound and video players?

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
DDong5
Beginner

Dear Alberto,

Thank you for replying!

> For testing purposes, did you test the PD with a high quality HDMI cable?

I am not sure what 'PD' does mean. When I saw the Amazon Japan site, there were two variants like:

QNIX QHD2410R DP   22,780JPY (219.76USD)

QNIX QHD2410R Multi 21,090JPY (203.45USD)

and I bought the cheaper one without DisplayPort. My cable is Green House GH-YHD15-BK (High Speed, 1.5m) and is 4K & Ethernet capable. The problem happens in both cases i.e. in when I play stored files and during streaming like YouTube at starting. The QNIX support does not reply till now. Maybe they do not provide own drivers. I tried the two newer Intel drivers which you suggested. The problem still remains. I use different applications like 'Windows Media Player' and 'Movies & TV' for videos and 'Winamp' and 'Windows Media Player' for audio files. The problem does not depend on application. These experiments changed my idea. I guess now that the fade-in is built in each device (monitor or TV) and can be hardly affected by software. I am thinking of forwarding this issue to the HDMI alliance. (Browsing the QNIX site, I have found a proper ICC profile for my monitor. I am better off with it and my analog audio cable.)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KimDongKyu:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Sorry for that, it was a typo, what I meant was, if you had the chance to test PC with a high quality HDMI cable?

And yes, you are right, the Intel display audio driver recognizes output devices and adjusts the fade-in period, and as you mentioned before, the fade-in is built in on each device.

The compression is different depending on the monitor or TV you are using, if there was a driver problem then the compression will be the same regardless of the monitor.

Since you tried the derivers above, and the problem remains, the option to get in contact with the HDMI alliance is actually a good thing to try, they might be able to provide further details on this matter.

Also we can wait for the reply from QNIX, maybe they have a firmware available, or if you found the ICC profile for your monitor and it works fine, that is also a good work around to avoid this problem.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos