9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 6:40 AM by ashinn

Gigabit Ethernet?

ashinn

Any plans to add Gigabit Ethernet to the Joule module?

• 1. Re: Gigabit Ethernet?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Ashinn,

Thank you for your interest in Intel Joule Platform.

We’d love to help you with that, please, let us investigate and we’ll come back as soon as we find useful information.

We’ll appreciate your patience.

Regards,
          -Yermi

• 2. Re: Gigabit Ethernet?
            Intel Corporation

Hi Ashinn,

Thank you very much for your patience, we really appreciate that. At this moment we don’t have any information if the Gigabit Ethernet will be added on the Joule, however, don’t hesitate to contact us back and let us know more details about your project, we might help you with that.

Have a nice day!
            -Yermi

• 3. Re: Gigabit Ethernet?
              Intel Corporation

Hi Ashinn,

We would like to know if you have any other question or need more help.

Regards,
              -Yermi  

• 4. Re: Gigabit Ethernet?
                ashinn

Hi Yermi,

Thank you for following up with me, I appreciate it.

Do you have any recommendations on how to add Gigabit Ethernet to the Joule module?  I will need two Gigabit Ethernet ports.

Andrew

• 5. Re: Gigabit Ethernet?
                  McCool

There are USB3.0 gigabit ethernet adapters that might work (and with a USB3.0 hub, you should be able to use more than one).   If anyone has any experience with these they could share...

• 6. Re: Gigabit Ethernet?
                    McCool

Posted this to a different thread, repeating it here for convenience:

Probably best to add GbE via USB3.0.  Since the PCIe lanes share pins with USB3.0 (so you can only have one or the other) this is probably a better approach than trying to add it via a PCIe adapter.

ASIX makes a USB3.0-GbE chip if you are making your own board.   If you combine this with an on-board USB3.0 hub (the ASIX chip does not include one, I looked into it) you can have both USB3.0 and GbE ports on a carrier:

AX88179 - USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet (GbE,GigE) | ASIX

You can also find external adapters that use this chipset for about $15:

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Adapter/dp/B00AQM8586

I have not tested this particular adapter myself yet but intend to.   Based on my previous experience with ASIX chipsets, Linux drivers should not be a problem (above Amazon page in fact says "Functionality built into Linux kernel from 3.9 onward (compile required for 2.6 - 3.8)").   Also note that multiple GbE adapters should be feasible, and you could do this either externally or internally (with a USB3.0 hub).  Bandwidth-wise, USB3.0 gives 5Gbps, so *in theory* you could have up to five channels (in practice... well, you can plug in a hub and a bunch of adapters and find out what is acheivable).

• 7. Re: Gigabit Ethernet?
                      ashinn

Hi McCool,

thank you for your reply, I will look at the option of using USB3.0 to Ethernet.

Andrew

• 8. Re: Gigabit Ethernet?
                        McCool

I looked into it a bit more and for USB generally you should allow 20% for overhead (packetization, command streams, etc).   So the best you can do here is probably four GbE interfaces before you would max out USB3.0.   But that's good enough for a nice little mini-router... or an H-ROS hub.   If you're OK with 100MbE then of course you can have more ports.

Note that USB3.0 is also full duplex, so it's 80% of 5Gb/s in BOTH directions at once.

• 9. Re: Gigabit Ethernet?
                          ashinn

Thanks for the additional detail McCool, I appreciate it.

Andrew