2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 8:32 AM by Intel Corporation

RAID1 migrate to single SSD

pstoric@cubexgroup.com

I have a client with 2x 500GB drives setup in a RAID1 configuration and he's constantly out of space. I need to upgrade his storage to a single 1TB SSD drive but not sure the steps to do so. Can I image it with software such as Macrium or Acronis (either cold or hot clone) and then remove the two RAID drives and plugin the SSD or will I need to break or changes the RAID settings prior to doing so?

Here is the RAID controller verison

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: RAID1 migrate to single SSD
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Paul Storic, 

Our recommendation in this case would be to perform a clean installation of the operating system. We definitely understand that migrating data and reinstalling software might not be ideal. But since the OS was installed using RAID drivers, switching over to SATA or NVMe* can cause boot issues.

This cannot be done using the Intel Data Migration Software. That being said, whether it's possible or not using one of the third party tools you have suggested, would have to be confirmed with the corresponding software vendor. 

Best regards,
          Carlos A.

• 2. Re: RAID1 migrate to single SSD
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Paul Storic,

We're following up on your thread since we have not heard back from you. If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Kind regards,
            Carlos A.