6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2016 6:46 AM by Intel Corporation

no sound on brand-new nuc NUC5PGYH Pentium N3700

yiotta

Our brand-new NUC is connected to our stereo receiver via a brand-new HDMI cable; everything about getting it up and running worked beautifully -- nearly flawlessly -- except the sound.  Well, it does work through earbuds only.  Checked that the HDMI cable passes sound to our speakers on another computer; it does.  Checked that we had the latest drivers; we do.  This is the NUC that comes as a more or less complete computer with Windows 10 pre-installed.  We haven't yet upgraded the RAM or added an additional internal hard drive.  We'd prefer to get it working before opening it up.

Is there anything else we need to do to get the sound working, or did we get a lemon?

• 1. Re: no sound on brand-new nuc NUC5PGYH Pentium N3700
          yiotta

Perhaps I should have noted, this is for a home theater pc system, including of course a TV monitor.

• 2. Re: no sound on brand-new nuc NUC5PGYH Pentium N3700
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello yiotta,

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with the NUC while connected to a receiver.

I have some troubleshooting we can start with:

1. To find out if HDMI-Audio is working, please connect the NUC directly to the TV and check if the sound is transmitted to the TV.
            2. With the receiver connected, check the playback devices (right click on the speaker icon on the taskbar) and verify if the receiver is recognized, a screenshot would be great to have.
            3. If recognized, set it as default and disable all other playback devices present there.
            4. Please provide me with the Intel SSU report of the system in question.

How to get the report?

-Access: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility
            -Download the utility
            -Scan your system with the utility
            -Export the report (hit next and then save) and attach it to your answer with the advanced editor option (reply button and then check upper right corner)

Hope I can hear from you :)

Thanks,
            Esteban C

• 3. Re: no sound on brand-new nuc NUC5PGYH Pentium N3700
              yiotta

Esteban,

Thanks so much for your reply.  I am attaching the support document (and some screen photos) that you requested. In response to your suggestions:

1. No sound through TV when attached directly to the TV via HDMI.

2. Receiver is not recognized; photos attached; therefore:

3. setting receiver as default is not possible (unrequited recognition);

4. report attached.

You'll notice in the photos of the screen that the volume was muted (which is weird in itself), but after setting it to 100% and doing everything all over again, I'm afraid I still get the exact same results; i.e., no sound.

I do hope you can help!

Thanks again,

yiotta

• 4. Re: no sound on brand-new nuc NUC5PGYH Pentium N3700
                Intel Corporation

Hello yiotta,

Thank you for the answer provided!

Some troubleshooting left:

-Make the Samsung device as default in the playback devices
                -Disable all other audio devices at playback devices but the default
                -Please install these drivers: http://intel.ly/2cFvlCR
                -Please check the audio options in the TV's menu, try to change them to find out if this is the issue.

If the problem is present with the HDMI cable connected from the TV to the NUC after following steps above, please give us a call or start a chat session.

Contact information: http://intel.ly/29LZ0fn

Hope I can hear from you with the results.

Regards,
                Esteban C

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: no sound on brand-new nuc NUC5PGYH Pentium N3700
                  yiotta

Estaban,

Thank you!  It worked.  Actually, I think I hear a tiny system sound after setting Samsung as the default & disabling the other audio devices (fyi).  But I wasn't sure, so I installed the drivers as well, then tested, and it's perfect now.  Yay!  Music through the sound system's speakers via the NUC.  I'm dancing in the living room.  It's wonderful. 

Thanks so much, again,

yiotta

• 6. Re: no sound on brand-new nuc NUC5PGYH Pentium N3700
                    Intel Corporation

yiotta,

That's marvelous!!

I am really glad to hear the recommendations provided worked for you

Will proceed to close this matter, but if you happen to encounter with any further inquiry feel free to reach us out here at the Intel Communities.

Hope you have a great day!

Regards,
                    Esteban C