3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2016 1:34 PM by Intel Corporation

What is Joule's package manager?

crossi

I would like to know what package manager Joule uses to install new software. For instance, what if I wanted to install NodeRed what would the command be? On the Edison I would use, opkg install, but I haven't been able to figure out what Ostro uses.

• 1. Re: What is Joule's package manager?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello crossi,

Thank you for reaching out!

I had the same question a few days ago. I started to investigate about it and I found out that by default the package management is disabled.

You will have to either build the packages from source or build an image with the package management enabled. Unfortunately these are the only options available right now.

I hope this helps.
          -Peter

• 2. Re: What is Joule's package manager?
            crossi

Wow, a Linux distro not having a package mgr available by default seem like a big step backwards! That makes life more difficult for those of us who don't care to recompile the kernel or building everything for source code all the time. Thanks for the info.

• 3. Re: What is Joule's package manager?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

I understand how you feel, I think you are right. I will make sure to send your feedback to the appropriate team so they can analyze how to proceed. 

We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause. We appreciate your understanding.
              -Peter.