7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2016 9:25 PM by rguevara

NUC6i7KYK won't boot.

kack

Hello,

I received my Skull Canyon on 9/5/16. It had been working like a charm up until yesterday when I go and turn it on. LED doesn't light up, system doesn't boot. Only thing that happens is the fan starts running. I've tried removing and putting back the RAM and SSD to no avail.

Please advise.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK won't boot.
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello kack,

I am sorry to hear that, let's try some more steps in order to address this not boot issue. Please, try a BIOS recovery using the latest BIOS version available. Here you can find the latest BIOS version; Download BIOS Update [KYSKLi70.86A], and here you will find the instructions for the recovery; BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Some useful links for no boot issues;

Try the Online No Boot Wizard; No Boot Troubleshooting Wizard, this is step-by-step wizard that will help to narrow the issue.

Troubleshooting No Boot Issues on Intel® NUC Products; Troubleshooting No Boot Issues on Intel® NUC Products.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK won't boot.
            StateFarmJake

Hello Intel ,

My system is having a similar issue. Although I believe Kack left out the details that the system does not even start. The systems fan still receives power and the network Ethernet port receives power but nothing else works. The systems fan will start for a couple seconds then turn off. Then after a slight pause the fan will start again at a little higher pace. The unable to boot trouble shooter isn't sufficient either since there is power to the system fan but the power LED never lights up.

It wouldn't be possible to update or roll back the BIOS versioning since the rest of the system is unresponsive. None of the output display ports work and I can't even get power to my keyboard and mouse from any of the USB ports.

The system had the typical Blue screens of death and random systems restarts which led to random freezes and system bricking.

Any details or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing back.

Thanks,

-Jake

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK won't boot.
              kack

Jake, you're absolutely right.

Every. Single. Detail.

I didn't have any BSOD or anything, because I disconnected my monitor as soon as that issue arose. I didn't bother with my monitor given the system wasn't turning on at all.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am really glad someone has the same issue I am. I really thought it was just me.

I ended up submitting a service request and I am now sending my defective product back to Intel and receiving a replacement [they deemed it defective after I told them (repeatedly) that I tried their troubleshooting tips: specifically the tips under "memory issues" and "no boot"]. That took about 2 business days to get all of that done.

I suggest you do the same if you need a functioning PC stat.

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK won't boot.
                Intel Corporation

Hello Jake, 

I apologize for the inconvenience.

It's possible that you are dealing with a defective unit; however, please try the following suggestion in order to cross out a memory issue;

• Remove and reinstall the memory modules to make sure they are fully seated in the sockets.
                • If you've installed two memory modules, try removing one of them.
                • If you've installed one memory module in an Intel NUC that has two memory slots, try moving it to the other memory slot.
                • A pattern of three LED blinks during boot can indicate defective memory. To isolate a specific module as defective, boot the system with just one installed at a time. You can also try testing suspected defective memory in a different system.

If you already did this and the issue persists contact our phone or chat support in order to check the replacement options for your unit.

kack, my apologies to you, I am glad to hear that you are getting a replacement. Let me know when you receive it.

Regards,

Amy.

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK won't boot.
                  RGraves

I had the same issue with rebooting/freezing and mine died as well. Only difference being I didn't have the fan start at all, just all round dead.
                  https://communities.intel.com/thread/107433

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK won't boot.
                    Intel Corporation

Hello RGraves,

Thank you for your input, let´s hope it can help kack.

Regards,

Amy.

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK won't boot.
                      rguevara

Hi All,

You can try BIOS recovery, sometimes system is up but the graphics system is corrupted.

See: Download BIOS Update [KYSKLi70.86A]

Recovery BIOS Update [KY0042.BIO]—A .BIO file to be used for F7 BIOS Update method or a BIOS recovery process. In the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it's possible the BIOS may be left in an unusable state. Use the recovery BIOS update to recover from this condition. It requires a USB flash device or CD.

See instructions here: BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC 

If previous recommendations provided on this forum didnt work and BIOS recovery also fails, please give Intel a call: Contact Support 

Thanks,

Ronny G