7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 2:44 PM by Intel Corporation

connect to target when debug webcam in Eclipse

JamesLeo

Hi,

The webcam should be connect to a USB host, so Edison board's switch SW1 should be switched toward USB-A socket (witch webcamera will plug in).

In the host mode. many interface don't work (in the red block as below)

And now I can't connect my edison board in Eclipse (can't connect to target).

How to debug webcam application?(V4L, OpenCV...)

BTW, how does the 'Intel Edison virtual Com Port' work?  Does the 'printf(...)' function output to this port?  Baudrate=9600?

Thanks

James

• 1. Re: connect to target when debug webcam in Eclipse
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi JamesLeo,

I will try to help you with this, about the interfaces in device or host mode in the device manager, don't worry about them. The Intel Edison Virtual Com Port is the port that is used for Arduino. https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/edison-getting-started-guide

You can see the output of the printf() function in the USB Serial Port, it works in device and host mode, and the baud rate is 115200.

Regarding the issue that you can't connect to target in Eclipse, that's weird because I connected my Edison without problems. So, can you send me a screenshot of the error that you are getting in Eclipse? And can you send me another screenshot of the serial terminal when you ran the command configure_edison --showWiFiIP?

And about the other question: How to debug webcam application? I'm not sure what do you want to know, so can you explain it to me?

I hope you find this information helpful and will be waiting for your reply.

Regards, 
          -Leonardo

• 2. Re: connect to target when debug webcam in Eclipse
            JamesLeo

Hi, Leonardo

Thanks for your reply.

I tried wifi yesterday night, and it seems fine.

In the USB host mode of Edison, there is only one port can be used: Usb Serial Port.

So I try to connect my Edison board via WiFi:

1. connect both PC and Edison to a WiFi AP

2. Set Edison as WiFi AP, and PC connect to it

Any way you go, Eclipse works fine.

But it becomes a new problem: if the application adopt WiFi module in the USB host mode, how does it work?

Best Regards

James

• 3. Re: connect to target when debug webcam in Eclipse
              Intel Corporation

Hi JamesLeo,

It is good to see that it works. About your new problem, can you explain it to me? Because I'm not sure what do you mean with adopt WiFi module. 

I will be waiting for your explanation to help you more.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
              -Leonardo

• 4. Re: connect to target when debug webcam in Eclipse
                JamesLeo

Hi,Leonardo

The new problem is the only one connection way via WiFi. (Edison in AP mode)

If my application need the WiFi module to act as client, how to debug?

If I want Edison act as a WebServer with video stream, does WiFi module conflict with? Can I do the debug via WiFi?

Thanks and B.R.

James

• 5. Re: connect to target when debug webcam in Eclipse
                  Intel Corporation

Hi JamesLeo,

Let me know if I understood correctly. You are trying to connect a device to the Edison through Wi-Fi, right? If so, then you have to configure the Edison in AP mode just as you said. There is no issue in that part as far as I understand you. I'm not following you in the debug part though, but if your final goal is to set a WebServer and stream video, there is a guide that I think you will find very useful. You can check this guide in the following link: https://github.com/drejkim/edi-cam 

I hope that information helps you. If you are looking for something different, please explain in detail, especially the debug part.

Regards,
                  -Leonardo

• 6. Re: connect to target when debug webcam in Eclipse
                    JamesLeo

Hi,Leonardo

Yes I understand the way to set webstream on Edison.

In this case, the WiFi could be occupied, can I keep the debug channel in WiFi? I'm not sure.  --- there is no other connection (by USB) to Edison.

Just worry about.

Thanks

James

• 7. Re: connect to target when debug webcam in Eclipse
                      Intel Corporation

Hi JamesLeo,

I think that it shouldn’t be a problem, but I'm not sure about it. The Edison connects to Eclipse using SSH, and the Edison supports multiples SSH sessions at the same time. 

Personally, I recommend you to try it. And let us know if it is possible or not.

Have a nice day.

Regards, 
                      -Leonardo