5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 11:27 AM by Intel Corporation

Is the Sharkbay Motherboard able to use a 2TB HDD

ronells2000

dmidecode (Linux) say's that my motherboard is a Sharkbay. The only reference I can find on Sharkbay is to Intel motherboards, so I hope this is the correct forum.

I have a Lenovo A730 IdeaCentre and my Hard Drive crashed. It is currently a 1TB HGST (Western Digital, Travelstar 5K1000) 5400 PRM, SATA 6Gb/s, 8MB cache hard drive.  I would like to upgrade to a 2TB hard drive. I can not find any information on the motherboard (Sharkbay, ver 31900003 STD) or the BIOS (LENOVO, ver: I8KT15AUS) to get any info. I would like to upgrade to a Seagate Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s hard drive in the same form factor. Is the BIOS/Motherboard able to upgrade to a 2TB HD? I contacted Lenovo Tech support and they did not know. They were able to give me a p/n of the motherboard, 90003046, but I assume it is a Lenovo p/n. When searching for the p/n I found a site in the UK that has additional numbers: CIHM86, DAOWY1MB8E0 AND 31WY1MB00A0. I don't know if they help, but I was only able to find one site, in Indonesia, that had a reference to DAOWY1MB8E0and it was a 2015 BIOS.

I am also thinking about upgrading the stock 8GB DDR3 SDRAM PC-12800 to 16GB. I looked up the p/n of the installed memory which is HMT451S6AFR8A-PB. The descriptions say it is a low voltage 1.35v memory module, which would actually make this a DDR3L module. Is this correct? When I perform a "dmidecode" it shows DDR3, p/n: HMT451S6AFR8A-PB, but does not post the bus voltage. All the specs I can find on a A730 IdeaCentre say's the memory is DDR3 SDRAM.

My system is running data recovery software so I cannot take it apart to get any further information.

• 1. Re: Is the Sharkbay Motherboard able to use a 2TB HDD
          N.Scott.Pearson

Well, this forum is for the support of Intel's Desktop Board products, but I can answer your questions...

First of all, Shark Bay is the code name for platforms that utilize a Haswell (4th generation Intel Core) processor and a Lynx Point (8 Series - Z87, H87, Q87, B85) chipset (PCH). Every OEM and ODM out there - HP, Lenovo, Dell, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Foxconn, etc. and etc. and etc. - produced such platforms (desktop and mobile). Bottom line, it wasn't just Intel.

The answer to your actual question can be complex. By the time that Shark Bay platforms were being produced, almost every BIOS vendor was producing UEFI-compliant BIOSs. If the BIOS is UEFI-compliant, it has support for hard drives that are 3TB or larger in size, so handling a 2TB drive is not an issue. There is a "but", however. Some of the OEMs implement white lists in their BIOS. That is, their BIOS will only support a specific set of add-ons (networking adapters, memory DIMMs, HDD/SSD/SSHD drives. etc.). The only people who can tell you whether this laptop's BIOS implements a white list (and what is in this white list) are the folks who produced it, namely Lenovo. Bottom line, I would get back on the phone with them and tell them they need to get you the answer...

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is the Sharkbay Motherboard able to use a 2TB HDD
            ronells2000

Thank you Scott, I greatly appreciate your quick and informative response. It definitely answers my question, I will contact Lenovo for sure.

• 3. Re: Is the Sharkbay Motherboard able to use a 2TB HDD
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

I’m totally agree with Scott the only people who can tell you whether this laptop's BIOS implements a white list are the folks who produced it.

Best wishes,

Ivan

• 4. Re: Is the Sharkbay Motherboard able to use a 2TB HDD
                ronells2000

I checked with Lenovo Tech support again, they were totally useless, they still did not know. She had to ask other techs, they could only tell me what the system was configured for. They said the max config for the Bios was 1TB because that was the max config of the model, but were not really sure and call Best Buy they would know for sure. I asked who made the motherboard and BIOS and they did not know. So, I talked to 2 Geek Squad techs, online chat, and they both said it would handle a 2TB HDD. Therefore I will be installing a 2TB HDD.

Thank you for the very informative information. I do appreciate it.

• 5. Re: Is the Sharkbay Motherboard able to use a 2TB HDD
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you ronells2000 for that information I hope you can have a good experience when you install the 2TB HDD.

Best wishes,

Ivan