13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2016 9:20 AM by Intel Corporation

Bluetooth file transfer

jmontague001

Hello,

I'm having problems sending files from my Windows PC to the Edison via bluetooth. I followed section 6.13 on the bluetooth guide (Bluetooth® User Guide for the Intel® Edison Platform) for using the FTP profile but am unable to get it to work.

I started the obex sevice before pairing and connecting to my PC using bluetoothctl and my device is connected and trusted. But on my PC when I try to "Send files to the edison PDA" and try to select the destination folder i get an error message "Error establishing connection"?

Any help much apprectiated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi jmontague,

Thank you for contacting, let us try to help you.
          I would like to reproduce the issue with a Windows system, so if you can provide all the steps that you followed when attempting to connect I would really appreciate it. I understand that you used the Edison bluetooth guide, but if you did anything different than what is shown in the guide please let me know.
          I would also like to know if you’ve tried this in a different computer with a different OS (or even with a phone). Did you get different results?
          I’ll be waiting for your reply.

Regards,
          -Pablo

• 2. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
            jmontague001

Hi Pablo, below are the steps that I followed:

root@pearl-edison:~# rfkill unblock bluetooth

root@pearl-edison:~# systemctl start obex

root@pearl-edison:~# systemctl status obex

● obex.service - Bluetooth OBEX service

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/obex.service; disabled)

Active: active (running) since Tue 2016-10-11 10:21:27 UTC; 8s ago

Main PID: 410 (obexd)

CGroup: /system.slice/obex.service

└─410 /usr/lib/bluez5/bluetooth/obexd

Oct 11 10:21:27 pearl-edison obexd[410]: OBEX daemon 5.37

Oct 11 10:21:27 pearl-edison systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth OBEX service.

root@pearl-edison:~# bluetoothctl

[bluetooth]# discoverable on

Changing discoverable on succeeded

[CHG] Controller 58:A8:39:00:19:5D Discoverable: yes

[bluetooth]# agent DisplayYesNo

Agent registered

[bluetooth]# default-agent

Default agent request successful

[bluetooth]# scan on

[bluetooth]# pair F4:B7:E2:FF:60:36

[bluetooth]# connect F4:B7:E2:FF:60:36

Attempting to connect to F4:B7:E2:FF:60:36

[CHG] Device F4:B7:E2:FF:60:36 Connected: yes

Connection successful

[JAY-HP]# info F4:B7:E2:FF:60:36

Device F4:B7:E2:FF:60:36

Name: JAY-HP

Alias: JAY-HP

Class: 0x3e010c

Icon: computer

Paired: yes

Trusted: yes

Blocked: no

Connected: yes

LegacyPairing: no

UUID: Service Discovery Serve.. (00001000-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

UUID: OBEX Object Push          (00001105-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

UUID: OBEX File Transfer        (00001106-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

UUID: Audio Source              (0000110a-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

UUID: Audio Sink                (0000110b-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

UUID: A/V Remote Control Target (0000110c-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

UUID: A/V Remote Control        (0000110e-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

UUID: Headset AG                (00001112-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

UUID: PANU                      (00001115-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

UUID: Imaging Responder         (0000111b-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

UUID: Handsfree                 (0000111e-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

UUID: Handsfree Audio Gateway   (0000111f-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

UUID: Phonebook Access Server   (0000112f-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

UUID: PnP Information           (00001200-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

UUID: Video Sink                (00001304-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

Modalias: bluetooth:v000Fp0001d0605

On my windows PC all the bluetooth services are installed and enabled:

But on the PC if I click on the "Send files to the (pearl-edison) PDA" option and then select a file to be transferred, when I select the Edison to choose a destination to send the file to I get the message "Error establishing connection".

I've tried sending from my phone aswell but I only have an iphone and not an andriod phone, and I've not managed to find an app that works at connecting to the Edison either.

Regards,

Jay

• 3. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
              Intel Corporation

Hi Jay,

Thank you for your detailed answer. I just tried to run your process using a Windows 7 PC and got the same issue, I will try with a different operating system (Windows 8 and possibly Linux) now and will let you know once I have more results, I would like to determine if there’s an issue with the Edison (BlueZ version maybe) or if the problem is more related to the operating system.

Regards,
              -Pablo

• 4. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
                Intel Corporation

Hi Jay,

Thank you for your patience. I’ve been able to test it using a Windows 8 system and unfortunately had the same issue. There’s a step from the Bluetooth guide that I’m unable to reproduce, and I guess that has something to do with the issue. It is related to BlueZ.
                In the FTP configuration section, in step 3 says “In the bluetoothctl utility console, check whether the obex profiles are correctly registered BlueZ 5.24”. However, I’m unable to get the message from the picture below:

I’m wondering if you’re having the same issue, is this your case too?

Regards,
                -Pablo

• 5. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
                  jmontague001

Hi Pablo,

I get a similar list when I enter "show" in the bluetoothctl function, and I do have "OBEX File Transfer" and "OBEX Object Push" in the list. But when I check the version I am using its 5.37 and not 5.24. Although I did try installing an older image which had bluez 5.24 installed but I still had the same problem.

Regards

Jay

• 6. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Jay,

I’m now running some tests with different images as well. I’ll get back to you once I finish with this to let you know my results too. I will also try to uninstall BlueZ from the default image and install it from source, just to see if I get the same behavior. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
                    -Pablo

• 7. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
                      jmontague001

Hi Pablo,

Do you have any information about your test results or a possible fix for this?

Regards,

Jay

• 8. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Jay,

Yes, we already have some results to share with you. Thank you for your patience.
                        We were able to transfer files on both Android and Windows. The build in Windows tool gives an error so we used Bluetooth file transfer app form the Microsoft Store (this was done with Windows 10), https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/bluetooth-file-transfer-blueftp/9nblggh627zb which is a freeware. This was the same app recommended for the Android section in the Bluetooth guide, so we decided to try it for Windows. We would like you to test it too, if possible.
                        We also made sure to set the device as trusted so we avoided inputting yes/no on Edison.

Regards,
                        -Pablo

• 9. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
                          jmontague001

Hi Pablo,

I am using Windows 7 64bit, do you know if there is a version of this app or another software that I could use?

Regards,

Jay

• 10. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
                            Intel Corporation

Hi Jay,

According to the app profile in the Microsoft store, the software is published by Medieval Software. So I went directly to the Medieval Software website, http://www.medieval.it/blueftp-pc/menu-id-70.html, and found the app for older operating systems. You could give it a try from there. Let us know your results.

Regards,
                            -Pablo

• 11. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
                              Intel Corporation

Hi Jay,

Did you try to use the app from the link I provided? Did you get any different results?

Regards,
                              -Pablo

• 12. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
                                jmontague001

Hi Pablo,

I downloaded the version of software from the Medieval website you provided and I have been able to successfully send files from the PC to the Edison using this software.

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards,

Jay

• 13. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
                                  Intel Corporation

Hi Jay,

I’m really glad to know it is working now! Please don’t hesitate to open a new ticket if you have any other question in the future.

Regards,
                                  -Pablo