6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 8:03 AM by Intel Corporation

How do I set up a 540s series 480GB SSD to replace two partitions of my hard drive?

Terra

My system has a Gigabyte Z87-HD3 motherboard and a Core i5-4570 CPU.  It is running Windows 10 Home 64-bit with the anniversary update recently installed. My existing mechanical hard drive is divided into four partitions:

C:\   60GB, boot drive, operating system &c, 6GB free (yes, needs attention)

D:\   90GB, application software, 75GB free

E:\ 1.63TB, data, 690GB free

F:\   43GB,  scratch drive, 36GB free.

Instead of repartitioning my hard drive to provide more capacity for the C:\ partition I decided to install an SSD and take advantage of what I am sure would be greatly improved performance.  I bought a 540s series of 480GB capacity.  I hate the idea of reinstalling all my applications again (last time I did that it took days) so I would like to transfer partitions C: and D: with all their contents and settings to the SSD so that nothing requires reinstallation.  I realise that there is little advantage in using multiple partitions in an SSD but setting it up as C: and D: may be the easiest way of carrying out the transfer so that all my applications will work immediately.  The Windows page file resides on the scratch partition on the hard drive but that would be placed on the C: or  D: partition on the SSD providing better speed for that purpose.  After a successful transfer of files to the SSD I would stretch the E: partition on the mechanical hard drive to occupy the vacated capacity. 

What is the best way for me to do all that?  The downloaded data migration software (apparently a 30-day trial version of Acronis True Image) will not run, and gives the error message "Failed to load the snapshot manager library".  I can't find a successful method of fixing that.  In any case I think that version is intended for transferring a single partition although I would be happy to use it if it will do what I want.  And if I can overcome the snapshot manager problem. 

• 1. Re: How do I set up a 540s series 480GB SSD to replace two partitions of my hard drive?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Terra,

To resolve the error message you're experiencing, we recommend uninstalling the Intel® Data Migration Software completely, then installing the software again using a freshly downloaded version from our Intel® Download Center.

However, the Intel® Data Migration Software is a simple software that works by cloning the drive as a whole. It does not allow you to clone only selected partitions. For this purpose we can recommend using a third party cloning tool such as Ease US Todo Backup*, or Clonezilla*.

Note: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

The best way to accomplish what you're trying to do would be the following:

1. Clone C:\ and D:\ into your new Intel® SSD (using 3rd party software).
          Note: You might need to clone C:\, open Disk Management*, expand the partition to the desired size. Then clone D:\.
          2. Change the boot order in your BIOS, and boot using your new SSD.
          3. Delete Volumes C:\ and D:\ from your original HDD using Disk Management* (built into Windows*, diskmgmt.msc)

2.jpg
          4. Create a new partition in the now unallocated space.
          5. Move the data from E:\ and F:\ into this new partition.
          6. Delete Volumes E:\ and F:\.
          7. Extend the new volume with your data to take up all your HDD's space (do the same for your SSD).

5.jpg

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,
          Carlos A.

• 2. Re: How do I set up a 540s series 480GB SSD to replace two partitions of my hard drive?
            Terra

Hi Carlos,

Thank you.  I am very pleased that you have perfectly understood my question and provided an excellent step by step guide. 

Yes, I thought the Intel® Data Migration Software might be intended for single-partition drives.  So I downloaded Clonezilla but that's as far as I have got.  I will post again after I manage to grab some time and complete the job. 

Cheers for now

Terra

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I set up a 540s series 480GB SSD to replace two partitions of my hard drive?
              Intel Corporation

Hello Terra,

We're always here to help.

Please let us know if you're able to successfully perform the actions. If not, let us know what went wrong, or if you're having a hard time with any of it, and we will continue providing assistance.

Best regards,
              Carlos A.

• 4. Re: How do I set up a 540s series 480GB SSD to replace two partitions of my hard drive?
                Terra

Progress report.  I downloaded a few apps that looked as though they would do what I wanted.  MiniTool Partition Wizard won the contest.  I set up two partitions on my SSD.  But being somewhat anxious about losing contents and settings of my primary partition I copied it from my existing hard drive to the first partition on the SSD rather than moving it.  And I copied D: drive contents to the second partition.  I left a heap of unallocated space on the SSD.  I admit to having purchased a larger SSD than required, partly because the computer shop was out of stock of the smaller one at the time.  And the 480GB SSD was pretty good value in that shop.

MiniTool Partition Manager also allowed me to move and resize partitions on my existing hard drive so the critical shortage of capacity on the primary partition of that drive was easily fixed.

So now I have a clone of C: drive on the SSD but it does not show in WIndows File Explorer (screen capture is attached).  The clone of D: drive on the SSD shows in Windows Explorer but the file sizes are incorrect.  Sizes of all files are shown as equal to the entire used space on the partition.  It has been allocated (by Windows?) drive letter I:.  MiniTool Partition Wizard shows all partitions on both drive (screen capture of that is also attached). 

What should I do to complete the job? 

• 5. Re: How do I set up a 540s series 480GB SSD to replace two partitions of my hard drive?
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Terra,

What you're doing is a bit on the complicated side, and can get quite messy. I'll do my best to give you simple suggestions.

Keep in mind that drive letters can be assigned and changed using Disk Management. However, you can't "swap" drive letters if the one you want is already being used.

111.png

My recommendation in this case is to clone your boot and software partitions to your SSD. Then boot your computer using the SSD without having your original HHD attached. That way you will be able to set the SSD as the main drive, and assign the original drive letters back to their corresponding partitions.

As for the file sizes issue. That is a very peculiar error that I have not personally encountered. It could possibly be an issue being caused by the migration tool that you're using. We can recommend performing the actions again, or perhaps using a different software. This part is a bit out of our support scope.

Best regards,
                  Carlos A.

• 6. Re: How do I set up a 540s series 480GB SSD to replace two partitions of my hard drive?
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Terra,

We haven't heard from you in a while. Were you able move your partitions and transfer your files successfully?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards,
                    Carlos A.