Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

I have a question does the IMC with a i5 6600k run faster than stock with DD4 3200 speed memory, and if it does what is running faster?

ssote
New Contributor II

I have a question does the IMC with a i5 6600k run faster than stock with DD4 3200 speed memory, and if it does what is running faster? I have some specifications below.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello wingman99 ,

This Intel® processor was tested to run with this memory type:

DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

If you run a memory DDR4 at 3200 we cannot guarantee better performance as it is out of the processor specifications , basically that will be overclocking and we don't support overclocking.

You will get better information at:

http://www.overclock.net/ http://www.overclock.net/

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

That does not answer my technical question.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm sorry that's something we cannot tell you because we have not validated using this processor with a ram at 3200, you will need to ask at the link I provided, at that website you can talk to more people who have used this unit at that speed they might be able to answer your question.

Ivan.

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

Intel Corporation wrote:

I'm sorry that's something we cannot tell you because we have not validated using this processor with a ram at 3200, you will need to ask at the link I provided, at that website you can talk to more people who have used this unit at that speed they might be able to answer your question.

Ivan.

Thanks I belong to that Forum and they could not help. What about DDR4-1866 Speed running up to 2133 speed is there anything that will run faster in the memory controller or CPU? I would like a technical explanation if there is a change besides memory speed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

The CPU can only access the memory at the speed it was designed to do so at. The memory can only be access as quickly as it was designed. . If you use faster memory then the CPU supports the speed that is limited by the CPU.

If you use a memory that run faster than what the processor was design for, you will need to overclock the processor by enabling the XMP mode on the motherboard BIOS, if you run a memory faster than 2133MHz with this processor we don't know at what speed the IMC will run.

For example if you run it a memory at 3200MHz perhaps the processor will run it at 2600MHz or less or maybe a little more, perhaps it will run at 3200MHz but I cannot guarantee that because, even though this is an unlock processor Intel has not tested the processor at that speed or out of the processor specifications.

If you run the RAM at 2133 MHz the IMC will run at that speed or 1866MHz with no problem, but any speed above that we don't support or provide information out of the processor specifications.

Best regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

From

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hi,

The CPU can only access the memory at the speed it was designed to do so at. The memory can only be access as quickly as it was designed. . If you use faster memory then the CPU supports the speed that is limited by the CPU.

If you use a memory that run faster than what the processor was design for, you will need to overclock the processor by enabling the XMP mode on the motherboard BIOS, if you run a memory faster than 2133MHz with this processor we don't know at what speed the IMC will run.

For example if you run it a memory at 3200MHz perhaps the processor will run it at 2600MHz or less or maybe a little more, perhaps it will run at 3200MHz but I cannot guarantee that because, even though this is an unlock processor Intel has not tested the processor at that speed or out of the processor specifications.

If you run the RAM at 2133 MHz the IMC will run at that speed or 1866MHz with no problem, but any speed above that we don't support or provide information out of the processor specifications.

Best regards,

Ivan

From all the research I have been doing, when using XMP with 3200 Speed memory the memory controller runs at the stock rated speed and the memory multiplier speeds up the memory not the memory controller.

So Speeding up the memory does nothing to the clock speed of the CPU and Memory controller in a k CPU. Then running XMP does not Void the warranty. XMP link http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) and Overclock RAM

Janagewen I know what you are saying the 3200 Speed memory puts a little more stress on the data flow to the CPU however it is minimal.

Memory scaling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESeoexGLVFU Intel Skylake Memory Frequency Scaling Performance - YouTube

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

Janagewen wrote:

Hello wingman99,

Just now I read your last post to Ivan for times, but I have some words to add.

From all the research I have been doing, when using XMP with 3200 Speed memory the memory controller runs at the stock rated speed and the memory multiplier speeds up the memory not the memory controller.

I have something to figure out, currently, as what I know, that all the memory modules designed for personal computers are passive, in other words, they are driven by the memory controller, rather than act like SCSI devices, which are smart enough to do their jobs automatically. Memory modules are in essence huge numbers of data cells ( capacitor), because of its nature features, the data stored in those cells are easily missing, so memory controller is busy working to maintain those data periodically. The speed what we talk about memory modules are referred to the speed of data transfer between memory modules and other components. It is only a theoretically value. The higher speed the memory module transfer data at, the more works the memory controller would work in the same time period to ensure successfully the meet the deadline. So speeding up the memory is essentially speeding up the memory controller! One can call it as overclock the memory controller. Your memory are designed for DDR4 3200, but your memory controller are designed for DDR4 2133. So you are overclocking the memory controller rather than memory modules.

Janagewen I know what you are saying the 3200 Speed memory puts a little more stress on the data flow to the CPU however it is minimal.

Memory scaling

I've never said anything like putting a little more stress on the data flow! It is not a stress at all! I just said over-driving the specification! Overclock the memory controller to 3200MT/s is within the safe zone, so your processor would not be burnt up, but whether it would void the warranty of Intel processors, I have no ideas! System memory performance is the key factor towards the whole system performance, and I have already made enough explanations. Anyway, I wish you would not confuse them all!

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

After more research, you are correct about memory.

I was wondering do you know what increases with speed in the memory controller with faster memory? Because the BCLK (base clock) on a LGA 1151 K processor stays 100MHz also the unicore (system agent) stays at 800MHz when increasing memory speed, just the memory multiplier increases?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncore Uncore - Wikipedia

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

Janagewen wrote:

The integrated memory controller has its own clocking system, referencing the based clock (100MHz).

I see what you are saying, however the memory controller needs to communicate with the CPU, so the memory controller would interfere with the CPU communication with increased speed. So instead of speeding up the memory controller, wouldn't Intel just use memory speed dividers like the old north bridge on LGA 775?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for your research and for this valuable information you have shared here, I hope all this information have been useful for you.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Have I already answered your question?

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

Janagewen wrote:

Have I already answered your question?

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

Your answer is not logical. I wanted to have a discussion about my last post.

I see what you are saying, however the memory controller needs to communicate with the CPU, so the memory controller would interfere with the CPU communication with increased speed. So instead of speeding up the memory controller, wouldn't Intel just use memory speed dividers like the old north bridge on LGA 775?
0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

I have the fair right to remove all my replies here. I leave your question towards to Intel or others.

Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

0 Kudos