1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2016 2:58 PM by DeanGibson

STK1AW32SC - Projecting to this PC

lbr_

Is it possible to project to the stick?

There is no "Projecting to this PC" option in the System config.

Is it a hardware limitation or Windows Home edition limitation?

• 1. Re: STK1AW32SC - Projecting to this PC
          N.Scott.Pearson

You mean like use it (and the attached TV) as a display for another PC or Laptop? This is like WiDi (now defunct) or Miracast (its replacement). No, it is not a limitation of the hardware or of Windows 10 Home (well, not per se). It would require special software that repurposes the ICS' wireless interface as a server (rather than a client) and then handles the transfer of the projected image to the display. Such a software package may exist, but I do not know of any. You will have better luck locating a Smart TV that has Miracast support built in...

Hope this helps...

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: STK1AW32SC - Projecting to this PC
            lbr_

I'm talking about this. that's Surface System settings -

System_Surface_00.png

• 3. Re: STK1AW32SC - Projecting to this PC
              lbr_

" It would require special software that repurposes the ICS' wireless interface as a server (rather than a client) and then handles the transfer of the projected image to the display. Such a software package may exist, but I do not know of any."

Well..

This is stick Connecting to Wireless Display, which is Surface tablet in this case. It does work. It uses very special software - Microsoft Windows 10 ; )

Stick_WiDi.png

• 4. Re: STK1AW32SC - Projecting to this PC
                N.Scott.Pearson

I didn't know Windows 10 had this feature! You learn something new every day (I guess my day is done then).

I checked this on both my CC and SC ICS units (both of which are running Windows 10 build 1607). The option is present on both units and appears usable.

My guess is you likely need to upgrade your graphics driver, but you might want to also upgrade your networking and/or wireless drivers. My recommendation is to download these drivers from the Intel Download Center and install them manually (I haven't had much luck with the Intel Driver Update Utility).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 5. Re: STK1AW32SC - Projecting to this PC
                  lbr_

Already updated WiFi and GPU drivers and BIOS.

What's "CC" and "SC ICS"?

So you actually see that "Projecting to this PC" setting on your stick?

Aha,  @(both of which are running Windows 10 build 1607)@ my build is lower.. hmm.. strange Windows Update is saying that there are no updates.

• 6. Re: STK1AW32SC - Projecting to this PC
                    N.Scott.Pearson

As you are likely aware, Intel uses code names for all of their products during the development phase. As well, Intel s acronyms. Within the Intel Desktop Boards group, the remnants of which became the NUC (Next Unit of Computing) and ICS (Intel Compute Stick) development group, a two-letter acronym for the code name has traditionally been used in the (eventual) product identifier, serial number and BIOS name (unless the BIOS is shared by multiple products). Cedar City (CC) is the code name for the Skylake-Y Core m3 and Core m5 VPro Compute Sticks. Similarly, Sterling City (SC) is the code name for the Cherry Trail Atom x5 Compute Stick. Before you ask, no, other organizations within Intel do not follow this practice (not that I know of anyway).

Yes, I see "Projecting to this PC" on both of these ICS.

The About box says "Edition: Windows 10 Home, Version: 1607, OS Build 14393.222". Seems to me, the download and install of the new Windows 10 release (Anniversary Update) only occurred after I (manually) clicked on Setup -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Check for Updates.

...S

• 7. Re: STK1AW32SC - Projecting to this PC
                      lbr_

Thanks for the info on acronyms. I'm new to Intel products.

Yep, that's what I also did(Check for Updates) until there were no updates.

So I've pressed "Learn more" under "Looking for info on the latest updates?". And joined the celebration - "Get the Anniversary Update now".. and now my stick is dead ; )

Dunno what happened, now it is restoring to old windows version. Will try updating again later..

• 8. Re: STK1AW32SC - Projecting to this PC
                        N.Scott.Pearson

My original FC ICS is also sitting dead as a result of this (I haven't started working on its recovery yet). I think this update is corrupting the BIOS (unfortunately, UEFI makes that a possibility). One thing I learned early on - don't have a flash card plugged in when you try to do an update...

...S

• 9. Re: STK1AW32SC - Projecting to this PC
                          lbr_

In my case - I just was impatient. I've started upgrading to anniversary update remotely, without monitor attached to the stick. So after a few hours of stick not going online I've plugged monitor in it - nothing, probably cause the stick inits display only on boot or in Windows. So I've turned the stick off..

Anyway, now "Projecting to this PC" is there and projecting to the stick is working!

Now I'll install AirServer(AirPlay and Miracast software receiver, but I wanted native Miracast in Win) and plug the sticks into TVs in my office ; )

Tho, I've still can't decide how to show slides.. maybe with Win screen saver.

Sadly "find my device" still does not work, tho.

Thanks very much for your help, Scott!

• 10. Re: STK1AW32SC - Projecting to this PC
                            Intel Corporation
                            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to N.Scott.Pearson for the information posted previously, it will be very helpful for all the peers viewing this thread.

To lbr_:

We are glad to hear that the option for "Projecting to this PC" is now showing on the stick.

In regard to the problem with "find my device" not working, for further assistance, please refer to forums for Wi-Di:

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/intel_widi

Regards

Alberto

• 11. Re: STK1AW32SC - Projecting to this PC
                              lbr_

"Find my device" has not connection to Intel Wireless Display ; )

The issue - there is no such setting(Settings > Update and Security > Find My Device.) on STK1AW32SC Windows 10 Home 1607 OS Build 14393.222

Find My Device

Like Find My Phone, use Find My Device to find your device on a map. This free service on account.microsoft.com/devices periodically gets your device’s location so you can see it on a map.

To change settings for Find My Device

Set up Find My Device to save your location every few hours so it’s easier to locate your device. To change these settings, make sure you've already turned on the master location setting on your device and signed in on your device using your Microsoft account.

1. Sign in to your device as an administrator.
                              2. On your device, go to Start, then select Settings > Update and Security > Find My Device.
                              3. Turn the Find My Device setting on.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/11579/microsoft-account-find-lost-phone-device

• 12. Re: STK1AW32SC - Projecting to this PC
                                Intel Corporation

Hello lbr_:

Let me apologize if I misunderstood the information that was posted previously, I thought I saw something about Wi-Di on the thread.

Also, thank you very much for providing the links and information above in regard to the “Find My Device” feature.

This feature is actually supported by Microsoft itself, it is directly related to Windows, so, if the problem still remains after you followed the steps on the links you gave us and after trying the Windows updates, then the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with Microsoft for further assistance:

Microsoft’s phone number:  1 800-642-7676

Once again, let me apologize for any misinformation posted previously.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 13. Re: STK1AW32SC - Projecting to this PC
                                  lbr_

No worries. Yeah.. WiDi was mentioned becauses I was not quite sure what technology Windows "Project to" uses.

And when I had online chat with Intel support the guy said that Compute Stick does not support WiDi at hardware level and that's why Windows "Project to" is not available on my device. So I got a bit confused.

Now I'm certain that it is MiraCast which Windows is using for "Project to". And that the functionality was added in the Anniversary Update. Why would the stick not updating.. that's another question, tho I don't care.

As for "Find my device".

Well, I've already had about 3hrs of chat with Microsoft support. They told me that this should work. And they want to help me by remotely logging in to the stick and do something, but remote assistance is only available for some money, so they asked me to buy support subscription ; ) I've politely declined.

However, my understanding is that "Find my device" only works for laptops, tablets and mobiles. And does not work for the desktops.

Which is kinda weird, if you think about it - the stick is not really a desktop, tho ofc Win sees at as one.

• 14. Re: STK1AW32SC - Projecting to this PC
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello lbr_:

Thank very much and thank you also for sharing all those details that were given by Microsoft.

And yes, you are right, the fact that the feature “Find My Device” recognizes the stick as a desktop is kind of weird, however it might be expected because is not a mobile device itself, you need a monitor and a power outlet to use it, so, even though you can take it anywhere, still you need those components to use it, so probably that is the reason why it is recognize as desktop PC.

Hopefully, maybe in the future, that feature will be available to all kinds of PC’s, not only laptops, tablets and mobiles, so you can use it with the stick as you wanted in the first place.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

1 2 Previous Next