Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Surface 3 - external monitors not working, probably after August graphics driver update

BBurk2
Beginner

I have a Surface 3. I've recently noticed that it stopped working with all external monitors/TVs I have. The monitors are still working with other (non-Surface) laptops so it's not that they are broken. The cables are also fine. I went to a store to test more displays and, to my surprise, my Surface worked with some monitors and it didn't with others which could indicate some compatibility issues.

I've tried to trace back when this could happen and my best guess that monitors stopped working after the Windows update on August 20 which brought graphics driver update (driver version: 20.19.15.4424). I've tried to remove the driver and reinstall it but that didn't help.

Any ideas what I can do to fix that problem? Obviously, I'm not going to buy new displays...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Yokoono,

How many display are you using?

What connections are you using to connect them?

Can you please try updating your driver to this version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88345 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]? In order to ensure the installation of the driver use this method http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 &...

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
BBurk2
Beginner

Hi Amy,

thank you for your response. I've tried to update the driver following the manual provided but I got an info that the driver is already up to date.

To answer your questions:

- I'm using just a single external display

- I've been trying to connect using either DVI-HDMI or VGA cables with an adapter to connect the monitors to Mini Display Port in my Surface.

Is there a way to force Windows to accept "older" drivers? I think that would help.

best,

Yoko

0 Kudos
BBurk2
Beginner

I was able to install the older driver (and get the monitors working!!!) following these steps:

1. I went to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88345 the latest graphic driver download page. At the bottom of the page there are "other versions". I found the previous version and downloaded it.

2. I disabled the Intel graphics driver and - without restarting the windows - I installed the drivers from the downloaded package.

3. I expect Windows to install newer version at some point but I should be able to use "roll back driver" option when this happens.

Hopefully, the next update to the driver will fix that problem.

thanks for help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, you're welcome.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos