6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2010 3:33 AM by 62b7Dvj9

Last Bios (jan. 2010) DP55WG disable a front USB port

federico

I ahve updated an Intel DP55WG borad with the KGIBX10J.86A.4507.EB bios of last January and one of the two front USB ports on my computer case has stopped working, it does not detetct any USB devide I may attach. (a mouse, a USB memory, USB drive, iPhone...),  (Needless to say they both use a common connection on the board).

Am I have to change something on the Bios settings, or will it be solved on a future revision of the Bios?

• 1. Re: Last Bios (jan. 2010) DP55WG disable a front USB port
          Boyet

If you can find in the bios the USB option, select it and you will be able to enable or disable the usb ports. Pay attention to the help section of your screen so that you will know which are internal and which are external. In my system it is the internal usb (usb headers of the motherboard) that should be enabled for the front usbs to function.

• 2. Re: Last Bios (jan. 2010) DP55WG disable a front USB port
            62b7Dvj9

Hello federico,

this seems to be a failure with the new BIOS version 4507. If you look into the BIOS settings (-> USB settings page) there are only 13 USB ports configurable. USB port 1 to 8 are the back plane USB ports of the DP55WG mainboard. The comments in the BIOS are correct. But if you select USB port 9 configuration the comment says, is is the USB port near by the 2x 4 pin CPU power connector. That is absolutely wrong, because only the DP55KG and DP55SB mainboard have this native USB connector directly soldered. USB port configuration 10 and 11 points to the USB1 header and USB port configuration 12 and 13 points to the USB2 header of the mainboard. The last USB header (USB3) is not mentioned. Every USB header on the mainboard is divided into "USB Port A" and "USB Port B". Because of my cross checks I found out, that the USB port 9 configuration is the USB3 header "USB Port A" with pins 1, 3, 5 and 7. The USB3 header "USB port B" with pins 2, 4, 6 and 8 is neither configurable in the BIOS nor working. Therefore, if you connect a front USB panel with two USB ports, the one connected to this header ("II", "USB3", pins 2, 4, 6 and 8, "USB port B") is not working. I measured the 5V supply at pin 2, too. Without testing this port (pin) with load current, I measure the 5V at this pin. Does anyone know why this USB port is disabled and cannot enabled in the BIOS, because there are only 13 USB ports configurable and listed? At this moment the result is a DP55WG mainboard with 13 USB ports usable, not 14.

• 3. Re: Last Bios (jan. 2010) DP55WG disable a front USB port
              Boyet

Definitely a defective bios version as observed by you.

Possible answer to your question are:

1. While waiting for new bios, use the present bios and transfer actual usb connections based on bios description or by trial and error.

2. Move back to the previous bios.

• 4. Re: Last Bios (jan. 2010) DP55WG disable a front USB port
                Eandori

Hello there,

I have not seen or verified this issue, but we have a new BIOS coming out very soon that has more special work arounds for the DP55WG board (which shares the same BIOS with DP55KG and DP55SB).  I'll try to reproduce your issue and if I can see it, then I'll try the new BIOS to see if it resolves the issue.

• 5. Re: Last Bios (jan. 2010) DP55WG disable a front USB port
                  federico

Thanks everyone, in the bios I have ALL and every USB port enabled., I have tried to disable and enable each from 9 up to 13, with no success.

Up to this bios update my 2 USB ports on the front panel of my case did work, and have done with a former board. Just when the upgrade process ended, I did notice the USB keyboard became non operative, thus I had to change it to the other one that I use for plugging memories, iPhone charger,...

Let's see the forthcoming one repairs it. Thanks again.

• 6. Re: Last Bios (jan. 2010) DP55WG disable a front USB port
                    62b7Dvj9

The 14th USB port is now configurable when using the actual firmware 4752. This BIOS failure seems to be fixed now.